Bad tiedown?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowheelies

Reaction score
Mounted a wheel chock on a new to me trailer. Tie downs in front are almost perfectly aligned to hit the lower triple tree without hitting any plastic. Rear tie downs are not bad using the foot peg mount, but on the left side the area behind the peg mount is the drive shaft and not open. The most logical spot which is the passenger pegs run the strap over the mufflers to the point the muffler would be taking a lot of the strain due to the hooks on the trailer being to close to the bike. For my test run I strapped it to the spot shown below. It appears quite solid, but kind of makes me nervous. Any opinions? I did wander around searching tie downs, but did not have much success for my specific problem. I also added a pic of the setup as a whole. Tiedown.jpgTiedown 2.jpg

I personally only strap under suspension. If it were me I would lose the peg straps and move the front straps to the fork tube right at the axle

I have a cheap Harbor Freight wheel chock that has tie-downs built into it. I feel the design principle is sound in that the tie-down points pull the bike firmly FORWARD into the wheel chock.
Compress the forks 1-2” and it won’t budge.
In the rear, I come across from a point maybe 12” behind the rear wheel, through and around the tire/rim and continue to end point same distance behind wheel on the other side of the trailer with a single ratchet strap. Wrapping the tire/rim keeps the bike centered where you want it and alleviates any wear or damage to frame or other components.
I simply was not comfortable trying to attach to anything else at the rear.
(In the front, my ratchet mechanism rested menacingly close to the fork and fender so I wrapped it with a rag to be safe)

If I had your trailer, I would add tie-down points to the front frame rail of the trailer but your rear tie-downs appear just about right for holding the rear tire in place. 👍🏼

Attachments

• ED29559A-ADB9-4559-A6DF-0CCBCFC50B2B.jpeg
    ED29559A-ADB9-4559-A6DF-0CCBCFC50B2B.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 0
Oops. Forgot to mention that in the front, the right side fork needs to have the hook end of the ratchet strap wrapped around the fork at the lower triple tree (because there’s stuff in the way of simply hooking onto the triple tree) and on the left side you come up behind the triple tree and are able to simply hook onto it with an S-hook type ratchet strap.

When I transported my bike. I purchased the soft loops. But attached them. To the lower fork, down by the reflector. Watched a YouTube video, that mentioned the movement of the front, forks. Caused most of the issues. With bikes moving. When you attach to the lower fork, there is no movement.

Thank you for the replies. I like the idea moving straps lower on the forks. It had never occurred to me to do it that way.

I had considered adding tiedown points on the front frame of the trailer, but decided I was overthinking it. Probably will anyway, I do not like the way the existing attachments are almost straight out from the bike. I already added some bracing from the front of the trailer a crossmember further back so the wheel chock was not mounted to the plywood alone.

The wheel chock is a cheapie Harbor Freight item Mrs Nowheelies found at a garage sale several years ago. It worked for my other bike pretty well but the tire on the FJR is not as wide so the bike does not stand up on its own with only the wheel chock, hence the errant kickstand which was kicked up before the short test run.

All the straps are the style that have loops sewed into them so the hook is never in contact with the bike. The straps on the rear of bike are old and worn, was only using them because they were the first thing I ran across. Will not use them when in a real transport situation.

To summarize, I could do it as shown in photo, but I like the suggested tweaks much better.

Now the big question, Black Hills, Rocky Mtn.s, West Coast, SE mountain states? So many places, so little time.