Bare Necked XJR-1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
basically my old FJ1200 sans bodywork....bulletproof, monster torque roll on, would leave my Feej for dead...put 100K on er and she still ran like new.

They should sell it here. I am sure it would go over well.
Oh well,

Dave
I agree, why don't they sell it here?
fool.gif

I agree, why don't they sell it here? :fool:
Because it's an air cooled 1250cc engine that only makes 97 bhp and 80 ft-lbs of torque?

From the review link mcatrophy posted, it's apparently NOT a naked FJR. Pretty tough to get an air cooled engine to pass our emissions standards without some serious compromises. And while those power specs are fine for a pre-90s retro bike, they are pretty anemic against today's competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these :) ....I can assure you its not anaemic against any bike...I have smoked r1s at the lights.....low down torque is monstrous and acceleration at any gear between 3000 and 6000 revs is enough to stretch your arms. Its weak point is that it is not designed to give high BHP at high revs like a sports tourer....but I have the FJR for that.

they are fun to ride and on city streets and on b roads, there is little that can keep up...On the high way however you suffer because of the lack of wind protection. the trick on these bikes is setting up the suspension properly to ensure good traction and balance...

Oh and the XJR gains enormously from an akrapovic can....Mine makes 115nm and 115BHP at the rear wheel....on a body which weighs much less than an FJR.

mind you I would never even dream of travelling across europe on an XJR - my neck would break and the luggage capacity is crap....

XJR has been around since '98, i think. Don't really know anything about it since we don't get them, but it does seem to be something along the lines of a Bandit or maybe the Suzuki GSX1100 Katana. Big air-and-oli-cooled inline 4. Doesn't have the revs or raw power of the water-cooled motors, but those bikes are a lot lighter than FJRs, too.

I think they have been around since about 1998 here in Australia.

They got Euro 3 standards back in 2007.

Was one of the bikes I as looking at in 2006, the FJR won out.

But they had a real butt ugly number 1 yellow sticker on the tank, horrible.

my mate has just bought a 28 year old FJ....it kicks ass for a retro bike...get it up to 30-40mph and just open the throttle.....

I have ridden all three yamahas...there is no doubt the FJR is the king of big end horsepower in my opinion...the way an FJR will just launch from 160km/hr is just so cool.....but the FJ/XJR bikes are enjoyable under different circumstances :) ...they complement each other

I do agree that I dont like the sticker on the side though...mine is this one
YAMAHAXJR1300-4414_3.jpg

Latest posts