Battery Tender Pro

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
I'm more than a little miffed at the moment. Last night i connected my battery tender pro to the XS1100 to top off the battery. This morning when I went to start the bike, nothing. Not even power lights. The battery was 100% flat. Tonight I hooked up a different charger and nothing. Jump started from my van and I was eventually able to get the bike started. After about 10 minutes of running, the bike stalled and went totally black. Battery is 100% dead again, even tho the stator is pushing 15 volts to the battery. Looks like I get to spend another $100 to replace a battery that is less than 2 years old.

Anyone heard of a battery tender draining a battery instead of charging it?

Put your meter on the battery tender; are you getting a charging voltage? If so, you probably just got a bad battery (or the battery has an internal break creating an open condition). Perhaps you are putting blame on the wrong component; even a new battery can just 'up and die' due to internal problems when being built.

It is doubtful the charger caused the problem. Check the fuse to see if it has blown, thus indicating an internal short or open circuit in the battery. Your second charger wasn't successful either indicating the battery is the problem. Many things can cause that, vibration, factory defect, history of care and use, etc. Your stator output of 15V seems a little high also (recheck with known voltmeter and check regulator).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ray! Good to see you posting again!

Now then, hit your bud Hans up for a loan, he has plenty o' dough, buy a new battery then go ride that XS.

I'm casting my vote with a bad battery.

If a plate was on the edge of failing an all night charge on the tender would simply have exacerbated the ultimate demise. Better to have happened in your carport than 100 miles away in front of a cafe.

And, yes, I've had the same thing happen.

...Better to have happened in your carport than 100 miles away in front of a cafe.
Yes...!

The "law of unintended consequences" giving positive, unexpected, benefits.

Better to have a 'no good' item that will fail at home than to have a 'marginal' one that may fail 100 miles away... :)

I've got a friend over at Yamaha giving it a charge on his shops $600 charger. I'll know Tuesday whether I'm replacing the battery, or the charger. At least I was able to make the Sierra/Calavaras/Mines/Hamilton loop today on the FJR.

I've got a friend over at Yamaha giving it a charge on his shops $600 charger. I'll know Tuesday whether I'm replacing the battery, or the charger. At least I was able to make the Sierra/Calavaras/Mines/Hamilton loop today on the FJR.
I wonder if it's possible that some of the new "style" chargers aren't friendly to older batteries?

I'm holding onto my opinion that the battery was on the verge of expiration.

I wound up buying a new battery. The Battery Tender Pro charged the house battery without a hitch, so I suspect that the XS battery was about ready to give out on it's own. The XS fires up smartly in the mornings again.

Are you riding the XS daily now?

..and how about poking your buddy Hans with a red hot branding iron to get him motivated again?

The two of you are awfully quiet these days..

and we miss the banter! :p

Not riding daily, but I do try and get out on the weekends. I've been to busy with work and family matters to spend a lot of time on the bikes. I commute home with a co-worker, so the Jeep is the vehicle of choice for commuting. On the bright side, the XS is firing up right nice with the new battery. Now the FJR is acting up in the mornings. I think the starter solenoid may be going out.

Not riding daily, but I do try and get out on the weekends. I've been to busy with work and family matters to spend a lot of time on the bikes. I commute home with a co-worker, so the Jeep is the vehicle of choice for commuting. On the bright side, the XS is firing up right nice with the new battery. Now the FJR is acting up in the mornings. I think the starter solenoid may be going out.
I don't leave my tenders on the battery in the warm summer months or at least unhook for 1 week a month and let the battery rest.

If it ain't one thing it's another- broke my riding camera, I pod and my DVR died all in the last 2 weeks :angry: