BBG

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
I want to do a BBG from Clofax, Ca. on I-80 to the east side of Omaha( around 1,540 miles) in Sept 06 as part of a trip to Minn. Thinking a 4 am leave time which should put me in Omaha around 2-3:30 am I hope. No extra gas tank so I must hustle during fuel stops. I do have 1 SSK under my belt plus a few 750 plus days. Any trip tips and possible good lodging locations in the Omaha area? Thanks!

Good Luck! Not that Omaha's traffic is any worse than any other big city's; but, I've been going around on the north side on I-680 and picking up I-29 to Sioux City -- then (by-pass S.C.) U.S.75 / IA 60 (soon to be 4-lane all the way) to Minn. Of course, when on I-29 you only get to look at the Loess Hills -- you don't get to ride thru them... :(

If you're looking for a witness or a place to crash, I'm just off exit 129 in I-80 in Des Moines, Iowa. That's about 5 miles before you take I-35 north to MN.

I-80 straight through Omaha is OK enough, especially after midnight. There's quite a few truck stops, but once you go into IA, there won't be anyplace to stay and only a few gas stops until Des Moines.

Don't take I-680 unless you're wanting to connect to or from I-90 via I-29 (good if you're going to western MN, but for Minneapolis, take I-35). Can't say what kind of sleeping places there are that direction.

Good luck, but watch the weather on I-80 through the mountain passes in WY.

If you're looking for a witness or a place to crash, I'm just off exit 129 in I-80 in Des Moines, Iowa.  That's about 5 miles before you take I-35 north to MN.
Thanks for the witness offer but I am going to Willmar, in western Mn. So after Omaha I will head north. Hoping for early Sept. with longer daylight but it is the midwest so weather is a ever changing factor. Thinking the senic route back to Ca. with a visit to Mt. Evans in Co. then thru Utah and Hwy 50 across Nev.

What is bringing you to Willmar? Live about 60 miles away from there. A little North and west. If you are going to have any free time let me know and we can hookup.

PM me if interested,

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck! Not that Omaha's traffic is any worse than any other big city's; but, I've been going around on the north side on I-680 and picking up I-29 to Sioux City -- then (by-pass S.C.) U.S.75 / IA 60 (soon to be 4-lane all the way) to Minn. Of course, when on I-29 you only get to look at the Loess Hills -- you don't get to ride thru them... :(
+1

I-80 East of Omaha is a Bridge to Council Bluffs in Iowa. Council Bluffs and Omaha are essentially the same town, separated my the Missouri river and the respective downtowns are on either side of the river. I wouldn't recommend I-80 as a place to stay, however, things might have changed since 1989 when I was stationed in Elkhorn while in the USAF.

I like the idea of 680 around town and then North to MN