Best Birthday Gift Ever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TILAM

Reaction score
So here it is today is my Birthday.

Just got home this afternoon from my annual long distance bike trip. Absolutely amazing roads. 6 of us started out crossing the border at Buffalo NY (I live in Canada) last Saturday, June 7, 08. There were two Harley Ultra Classic's, a Honda St 1300, Yamaha Warrior, a Honda 1100 Sabre and of course me on my 06 FJR. I always lead because I have the GPS and I'm the curator of the event every year Weather was hot 31 degrees (about 85 F).

The ride took us down Hwy 219 and 119 through PA, and WV. Fabulous. Then we ended up near Knoxville and 4 of the guys had never experienced the Smokies so we did the obligatory blast throught the Dragon and then the tasty Cherahola Pkwy. The FJR and I melded there and I did 15 miles without touching the brakes. Just used the gearbox and cornering to get the job done. The ST 1300 sayed up ok but the harleys lingered back a bit but "ride your own ride" is best.

I hit a groundhog running across the road just out of the Dragon and the guys behind said killed it dead. No chance to miss him but the FJR tracked through, with a little extra throttle, with nary a clue that I hit anything more than a "soft pothole". It was on rails.

Then off south to Birmingham AL to the Barber Motorsports park and one of the greatest motorcycle museums anywhere.

Having reached the southern most point and starting home vis Bowling Green KY and the Corvette museum. Worth a look if you are in the area. Back through Ohio, along the river and into PA again.

Final night in Franklin and this morning (my birthday remember) was up hwy 62 throught the Allegany park. Damp, overcast but no rain to speak of.

Then the came "the gift". I was leading and a young deer popped out on the left side of the road, ran parrallel to me and then he turned into me effectively "hip checking" me. Right on my left leg. I was braking at the time but didn't slow enough for him to get in front of me. I felt a solid bump on my leg but not all that hard. I was near the line in the center of the lane and barely changed my line. He bounced off and looking in my mirror I saw the left bag doing a basket ball trip to the left side of the road. I stopped uneventfully on the right shoulder composed and unharmed.

The boys following were a bit back and said the they thought I killed it it spazed and got up and limped away.

The bag and I were intact but the bag is probably toast. Couple of holes and one of the top "hooks is broken 80% through. Dent in the top of the pipe and the tail is cracked at the rear bag mount. A bungie secured the bag for the 200 miles home.

I'm fine the bike runs fine, few battle scars but they can be fixed. Luck?

Devine intervention? I can't say but I will accept either.

Oh I'm not superstious but the day before was Friday June 13, it was out 13th annual trip and our hotel room for the night was 513.

Maybe 13 is my lucky number!

Tilam,

Sounds like it could of been WAY worse. 13 is your lucky number!!

Also, I notice that you joined this forum on the 13th of January!!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Tilam,
Sounds like it could of been WAY worse. 13 is your lucky number!!

Also, I notice that you joined this forum on the 13th of January!!

WW
I'm getting spooked, I just looked at Killboy.com for pictures when I was there during this trip and I'm on page 13 of touring bikes, whats with that?

Glad you are OK. Holding your line is way better then swerving to miss it. Just Ride the FJR like a giant dirt bike and all is well.

So here it is today is my Birthday. Just got home this afternoon from my annual long distance bike trip. Absolutely amazing roads. 6 of us started out crossing the border at Buffalo NY (I live in Canada) last Saturday, June 7, 08. There were two Harley Ultra Classic's, a Honda St 1300, Yamaha Warrior, a Honda 1100 Sabre and of course me on my 06 FJR. I always lead because I have the GPS and I'm the curator of the event every year Weather was hot 31 degrees (about 85 F).

The ride took us down Hwy 219 and 119 through PA, and WV. Fabulous. Then we ended up near Knoxville and 4 of the guys had never experienced the Smokies so we did the obligatory blast throught the Dragon and then the tasty Cherahola Pkwy. The FJR and I melded there and I did 15 miles without touching the brakes. Just used the gearbox and cornering to get the job done. The ST 1300 sayed up ok but the harleys lingered back a bit but "ride your own ride" is best.

I hit a groundhog running across the road just out of the Dragon and the guys behind said killed it dead. No chance to miss him but the FJR tracked through, with a little extra throttle, with nary a clue that I hit anything more than a "soft pothole". It was on rails.

Then off south to Birmingham AL to the Barber Motorsports park and one of the greatest motorcycle museums anywhere.

Having reached the southern most point and starting home vis Bowling Green KY and the Corvette museum. Worth a look if you are in the area. Back through Ohio, along the river and into PA again.

Final night in Franklin and this morning (my birthday remember) was up hwy 62 throught the Allegany park. Damp, overcast but no rain to speak of.

Then the came "the gift". I was leading and a young deer popped out on the left side of the road, ran parrallel to me and then he turned into me effectively "hip checking" me. Right on my left leg. I was braking at the time but didn't slow enough for him to get in front of me. I felt a solid bump on my leg but not all that hard. I was near the line in the center of the lane and barely changed my line. He bounced off and looking in my mirror I saw the left bag doing a basket ball trip to the left side of the road. I stopped uneventfully on the right shoulder composed and unharmed.

The boys following were a bit back and said the they thought I killed it it spazed and got up and limped away.

The bag and I were intact but the bag is probably toast. Couple of holes and one of the top "hooks is broken 80% through. Dent in the top of the pipe and the tail is cracked at the rear bag mount. A bungie secured the bag for the 200 miles home.

I'm fine the bike runs fine, few battle scars but they can be fixed. Luck?

Devine intervention? I can't say but I will accept either.

Oh I'm not superstious but the day before was Friday June 13, it was out 13th annual trip and our hotel room for the night was 513.

Maybe 13 is my lucky number!
Yep. Could have been way worse. Glad you made it through it ok.

GP

Your stars must be aligned with the klingons of uranus. Otherwise, me bets skooteG had some jihad curse on yer ass....piss him off lately?.....or on him?