Best (Fastest?) Sports Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode Venture Royale's from 1984 to 1995, first a 84 and then a 89. Very comfortable and sporty....in the 80s, outdated in the 90s. I replaced the 89 with a ST1100 which was faster, better handling, and more comfortable most of the time (the Venture was hard to beat for comfort in a straight line on a smooth road). The ST1100 was replaced by a 2005 FJR which was a lot more fun to ride but wasn't quite as good as touring bike as the ST1100. I think Honda goofed when they failed to fully address the heat issues on the ST1300 whereas the FJR has improved with every generation. You will like the FJR and after riding it for a while the Venture will feel slow, over weight, and badly outdated.

I think Honda goofed when they failed to fully address the heat issues on the ST1300 whereas the FJR has improved with every generation. You will like the FJR and after riding it for a while the Venture will feel slow, over weight, and badly outdated.
Yamaha missed a trick when they failed to update the Venture. According to contemporary opinion, they had a better bike than the Gold Wing. However, they made only one upgrade in 1986 and only detail changes after that. Honda introduced the 1500 in 1989, and the rest is history. Honda also moved production to the US which was a brilliant marketing move.

The Venture already feels old and slow. It's biggest redeeming feature is the sheer carrying capacity and that glorious V4.

Yamaha missed a trick when they failed to update the Venture. According to contemporary opinion, they had a better bike than the Gold Wing. However, they made only one upgrade in 1986 and only detail changes after that. Honda introduced the 1500 in 1989, and the rest is history. Honda also moved production to the US which was a brilliant marketing move.
I thought the Venture was a better bike than the 1100 or 1200 Goldwing but took a very hard look at the 1500 (which was actually introduced in 1988) before I bought my 89. I decided to stick with the Venture because the 1500 was too heavy, a decision I later regretted a bit because there was so little difference between the 84 and 89. I got larger saddlebags and trunk and a 1300 engine but the 1200 engine on the 84 was actually faster and smoother. The 89 had a built in CB but I had installed a factory CB on the 84 so that wasn't an upgrade and I thought the 84 had a better seat. It seemed like I paid $5000 for larger non-removable bags and trunk.

Looking back, I'm not sure what Yamaha could have done to compete with the 1500 Goldwing except to go in the opposite direction for their touring bike (lighter weight, better handling, faster) which is what they eventually did with the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
James and I are drinking the same Kool-Aid. For sport touring on a budget, do not overlook the first gen Connie. All day riding ergos from the factory, dirt cheap examples available everywhere, and like the Feejer, if you take care of the bike, you just can't break it.

One thing to consider on a budget as it relates to your question is tire cost. Sport touring bikes EAT tires and the FJR is not immune from it. You could go to the dark side and extend your tire budget, but if you compare apples to apples, plan on increasing your tire budget substantially.

Still - Southerncruiser and I feel the same. After owning many motorcycles (including a '79 XS750 BTW - 1000 mile day on that??? Really???), I can confidently proclaim that after all of the discussion is done, until you have ridden the bike 10-20 miles in varied conditions, it's all conjecture. In 2010, I got my FJR introduction at Deal's Gap. User Designflaw and I were rallying there with the Nighthawkers and he made the wonderful suggestion that we "swap bikes for a run". That of course changed my life and the rest is history. As long as they are making FJR's, I can't see having any other S/T bike at this time.

Yes indeed ... 1000 miles on the XS750, in temperatures that went down to 30F, rain and hail. It was a blast :D

Here is the Ride Report:

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669111

One regret I have about the Venture is that I could never put a car tire on the rear. It's a 16" wheel but the swinging arm gets in the way of even the narrowest tires. I believe the FJR will take a 205 width, the Venture wouldn't go wider than 155. Erik Lipps just managed 19000 miles on a car tire, and while that's a little low, it does mean 1/4 of the rear tire cost when compared with a M/C tire. I have heard few complaints about handling, etc, so I would be quite keen to try it and see.

Yeah, it's all conjecture, but any guessing is "educated guesswork" because there is just so much experience out there to draw from.

It's funny how old threads re-emerge themselves with new peeps pop'n in.

All good, and everybody knows that the FJR is one of the best value's for the money. I still own one currently but I'm putting it up for sale. After drinking the 'other' kool-aid, the FJR just is second rate on pretty much everything, well except the cost of it when purchasing. The FJR is truly awesome, just found another date with better lines, firmer boobies and a tighter arse ;)

... I will always be bitter about the great bikes that were beyond my financial means...
So not much changes in 28 years, huh RH?
winksmiley02.gif

... I will always be bitter about the great bikes that were beyond my financial means...
So not much changes in 28 years, huh RH?
winksmiley02.gif
Ah, but now I can afford to ride pretty much whatever I want. I just have an issue with letting go of a great bike to get another great bike.

Even if I don't have all the money I need, the bank has plenty of it. You don't even have to pay it all back at once, you just send them a little bit each month. If for some reason you don't send them a check they will send you a nice letter to remind you and ask for that money. They sure don't want the bike back, they want that money.

But, on further reflection... Yeah I am a little bitter. I sure love the '14 ES and should have pulled the trigger on one. But I am not looking to run an IBR. That sounds like a VERY expensive and time consuming hobby.

But, on further reflection... Yeah I am a little bitter. I sure love the '14 ES and should have pulled the trigger on one. But I am not looking to run an IBR. That sounds like a VERY expensive and time consuming hobby.
When I bought the Matchless my Dad was so excited. He was 17 in 1958. It was the latest model and cost just over 600 UK Pounds. He was an apprentice toolmaker earning about 5 pounds a week.

He rode an Ex-War Department BSA, and his nose pressed against the dealer's window lusting after that bike ... He got to ride it nearly 50 years later :D

It was worth buying just for that.