best headlight modulator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cctxfjr

any thoughts on the best headlight modulator for 06 not really wanting to debate the merits of having one on a bike but rather the best brand in consideration of quality in construction and function-Thanks David

any thoughts on the best headlight modulator for 06 not really wanting to debate the merits of having one on a bike but rather the best brand in consideration of quality in construction and function-Thanks David
not sure if they make one for the '06 - but I have always used Kisan stuff.

they have been trouble free, but other folks who have had small problems have had them addressed by Kisan quickly and accurately.

+1 for Kisan. Been running mine since the bike was nearly new and it keeps doing its job without needing to be worried about. Hard to beat that kind of service.

I have installed Kisan modulators on all of my bikes as well as my buddies. I enthusiastically recomend them to others. They are generally easy to install, and are very effective in getting other driver's attention. B)

The big three are:

Kisan - P115W-S-D

Comagination - D115H4

Kriss - H44002

There are more - Amperite, Signal Dynamics - and so on.

You will need a dual unit - the first three listed above are plug-and-play - no wire cutting required. I have the D115H4 unit from Comagination - the light sensor is snaked up so it JUST peeks through the windshield arm opening on the right side.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Signal Dynamincs Diamond Star on my '05. After researching, I consider it the most fully featured.

Pros

-Mode Switch - Off, On/Lo+Hi, On/Hi Only

----Having the ability to switch it off is a big deal when you are riding in a group.

-Horn Activation - It works like a flash to pass + beeps the horn

-Does not require you to get near the headlight bulbs

Cons

-It looks complicated to install, but it really isn't if you are not electrically challenged.

I'd have to say that the Kisan is the most popular but lacks these features.

My 2 cents...

I use the Signal Dynamincs Diamond Star on my '05. After researching, I consider it the most fully featured.
Signal Dynamics no longer offers the double-rate-flash horn activation in their units as it wasn't legal. It was a nice idea but . . .
They still offer remote activation - which, of course you can do by switching between high and low beam or by installing a switch across the photosensor wiring. They also offer a high/low/high+low switch which is also not legal (the statutes state that you can modulate high OR low) and also isn't good for bulb life.

So why chop up your wiring when you get the what you need with a plug and play unit?

Kisan has a neat feature that allows you to adjust the headlight sensitivity by cycling the power to your lights.

any thoughts on the best headlight modulator
NONE!

Those things are annoying! ;)
If they made you notice my bike and maybe also made you think I was a LEO for just a moment then they've done their job.
Since they are on my high beams, I can easily switch them off when in a group ride - when I'm riding 2 lane highways and city streets they stay ON during the day.

Thanks to all for replies-kisan will work. I agree they are somewhat annoying however we have had a rash of fatal and serious frontal impact bike/car-truck accidents in my area including (2) local harley shop mechanics doing a pre-delivery road test on new bikes both killed-experienced hog rider and wife killed him wife barely alive-local bike cop also injured, common to all accidents was remorseful car driver stating I never saw them. The annoying part seems unimportant if they will prevent accidents. I myself notice bikes immediately with the modulator. May not need them in super slap trips but I see a use in other type roads.

headlight modulators are one of the reasons that I don't think people give a crap about motorcycles. anectdotal experience, but these are my examples:

headlight modulators work - people see you better.

I believe they see you better AND.... for a second they think you are a cop.

This is why I believe taht people don't care - because I have noticed them SEEING me - then realize that I'm not a cop - and pull out ANYWAY.

In another life I rode a bike that looked a lot like a LEO bike. Wore a half helmet with mic - LEO style. People often thought I was a cop and pulled over. Same bike with a full face helmet and stich on and the folks would stop for a second - notice I wasn't a cop - and pull out in front of me.

Once had a cop pull a u-turn in the middle of the street - slam on the brakes as he thought he was going to hit me and then pulled me over. Told me that the only reason he didn't hit me is because he noticed the flashing lights and he thought it was another cop. Otherwise... he hadn't seen me. He also tried to write me up until I pulled out the copy of the regs showing him that modulators were legal (this was over 10 years ago).

I honestly think that people sometimes don't see bikes - but I also think that frequently they DO see us... but don't percieve us to be a threat to them. Cops are threats to them, so they behave differently.

one word of advice. NEVER - NEVER - NEVER pull up behind a car with the modulator turned off - and then turn them on in their rear view mirror. If you do this, be prepared to STOP - as they will almost invariably hit the brakes thinking you are pulling them over. It's all fun and games until someone eats a bumper.

Pretty much echo what everyone else said. The slow drivers pull over thinking your a LEO is just a bonus. They make you a lot more noticable (IMHO).

Those things are annoying! ;)
Sounds like a rousing endorsement for their use by every rider. You may be annoying but you won't be ignored.

one word of advice. NEVER - NEVER - NEVER pull up behind a car with the modulator turned off - and then turn them on in their rear view mirror. If you do this, be prepared to STOP - as they will almost invariably hit the brakes thinking you are pulling them over. It's all fun and games until someone eats a bumper.
Interesting story. First BBG ride on my 84 GL1200a. On the final leg (with time running out), I had grabbed my gas receipt in Bullhead City, AZ and was heading S toward I40 along US95. Nice road with a few curves and a roller coaster of elevation changes... IF it's not wall-to-wall RVs going -10 (or less). With all these RV's running bumper-to-bumper, there wasn't a good place to pass. I realized that my "spot" in this lineup might be seen as "empty" by the oncoming drivers (who might try to use that space for something other than me), so I hit my high beams (to activate my modulator and increase my visibility to those around me).

It was like Moses parting the Red Sea! All those RVs moved to the shoulder and the way was completely open before me. I had a fleeting moment of concern that they might get upset that I wasn't a cop but it didn't last long. I figured it's up to them to know the traffic laws (including about modulators). I hit the go button and passed them all without crossing the center lane thinking, as I passed, "F... 'em if they can't take a joke!"

I can assure you that stretch of road is more fun at +x than at -x!

I got my ending receipt with 4 minutes to spare.

After installing a headlight modulator on an FJR do both lights flash or just one ?

After installing a headlight modulator on an FJR do both lights flash or just one ?
PMFJI I believe if you have 2, they both must flash together by law.

I've been riding this summer with Kisan units. They can be used to induce 4 -way paralysis. I flip the flashers on at the last few seconds b4 an intersection. The cagers go into a hypnotic state, and watch me pass.

:assassin:

Thanks all for your input.

Now the question is, where to buy them ?

The big three are:
Kisan - P115W-S-D

Comagination - D115H4

Kriss - H44002

You will need a dual unit - the first three listed above are plug-and-play - no wire cutting required. I have the D115H4 unit from Comagination - the light sensor is snaked up so it JUST peeks through the windshield arm opening on the right side.
Did you ride today ?

Thanks all for your input.
Now the question is, where to buy them ?

The big three are:

Kisan - P115W-S-D

Comagination - D115H4

Kriss - H44002

Did you ride today ?
ordered direct from kisan web site