Best Location For HID Ballast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRmogul

Reaction score
I have a set of HID aux driving lights that I bought a while back and am just now getting around to installing.

I remember seeing some threads here when I bought them about places on the FJR to put the 2 ballast, but can not find any when searching.

So does anybody have any links or suggestions to mounting locations? I have 2 ballast that are the "normal" size, NOT the slim style. Also I have a generation 1 bike if that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of HID aux driving lights that I bought a while back and am just now getting around to installing.
I remember seeing some threads here when I bought them about places on the FJR to put the 2 ballast, but can not find any when searching.

So does anybody have any links or suggestions to mounting locations? I have 2 ballast that are the "normal" size, NOT the slim style. Also I have a generation 1 bike if that matters.
They'll also lay flat right under the headlights. I mounted mine with RTV. As a matter of interest, I had to change one of the ballasts and simply cut thru the RTV to do so.

Not sure if your ballasts are like these but this is what I did.

The left side I cut a piece of 2" ABS at an angle and siliconed it to the housing and then wire tied the ballast to it.

MVC-733S.jpg

The right side is quite a bit tighter and I just ended up siliconing a couple corners of the ballast to hold it in place.

MVC-734S.jpg

Thanks guys. It does not look like there are a lot of options here.

Behmer ...that looks like a good idea, but I can't make out the locations on the bike that your photos show...frame near nose cowling?

Madmike2 .....the FJR Tech article is one of the ones I remember seeing. Don't know how I missed it. Thanks

So guess I'll be removing a lot of tupperware for this farkle completion. Looks like the nose area and between the headlights is the best option so far.

I have the slim ballasts and put them stacked over the left side of the headlight on my 1st gen. Then the ignitors are stuffed in that space between the two headlights so the cables can wrap down and around to loop back up to the back of the lights. There seemed like there might have been enough room for thicker ballasts without interfering with the windshield mechanism, but it would depend on just how thick they are. FWIW, I was able to install everything without removing any of the faring, just the A-D panels.