Best Synthetic

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - as far as failures go, many years ago back in the 50s, our co. purchasing agent ran our fleet on a cheap single weight oil for one reason - it was cheap! The fleet began to have mechanical problems that far outweighed the savings in oil.

Today if there was only one good multigrade oil available from one manufacturer and you had to use just that oil, your bike would run for many trouble free miles so long as you stuck to regular maintainance intervals.

...but I still stand by my statement that this oil stuff is over blown.
That's pretty much my point of view as well, based on reading almost all of Jestal's posts since he came onto the FJR scene. As long as you use the same service rating and change interval as that spec'd by the maker, and the oil isn't fraudulently represented, you should be golden.

Any consensus on which is the BEST?
That's easy, whichever one costs the most. Probably Amsoil.
Next time, try to change it before 8000 miles.

I use cheap oil and change it every 4000, YMMV. About 7 bucks for the filter and about the same for the oil, with a reusable copper washer.

30,000 miles so far with only one major mechanical teardown & repair. Take my advice at your own risk.
30K. Outstanding mileage before the major mechanical teardown. Makes me want to use cheap oil. The money I save can go toward the major repairs!