Best tires for wet weather

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
As I understand it, there's a chance it'll rain here in Seattle. ;)

So, given I plan to ride the tires off the FJR asap, what's the consensus on "good rain tires"?

Yes... I tried searching, and I also trolled through the recurring threads section... :)

The stock are pretty bad IMO. I rode them all winter and was not very happy with them. I have on the Avon Azaro's and they are excellent. I have heard good things about the newer model Storms. The next set will be Storms or the Dunlop Roadsmarts, which work well too, based on others input.

Azaros aren't really available any more. The Storm is the replacement for it. The Avon Storm is awe inspiring in the wet, but don't necessarily expect it to last past 6k.

Now, if you really want the best rain tire, I can highly recommend the Bridgestone Potenza 019 Grid. It's not for everyone though. Fantastic mileage, good handling and amazing traction in all conditions. You'd still need something else up front, as the 019 is only for the rear.

I haven't put them on my FJR yet, but I really liked having Metzeler Z6 Roadtec tires on my Yamaha FZ6 and BMW R1150R. It rains a lot here in Virginia, and I always felt confident on Metzelers.

I've found that the Avon Storms as well as the Dunflop Roadsmarts perform very well in the wet here in the northeast. Noticeably better than the OEM 'stones. The Roadsmart front wears quickly, the Storm rear goes before the front. I got about the same mileage from the Storm Front and Roadsmart rear. Perhaps a good combo.

The stock Metzler Z6 were ok, replaced them with PR2's last year and I think the PR2's are far superior in the rain.

A quick look around the parking lot at CFR in Nakusp seems to indicate that the PR2 is the weapon of choice for the majority of FJR owner who attended, particularly the large PNW contingent (one assumes they ride in the wet a lot).

AND my first set of PR2's lasted 23,000 km (front) and 26,000 km (rear), and still maintained good wet traction and feel right to the end.

Hope this helps

Griff

There's no way you are going to get consensus on this but here's my 2 cents worth; I swear by the Metzler Z6's for riding in the rain, which we get a lot of in Vancouver. I once rode over the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta in a driving rainstorm with water pooled on the road and the temperature at 6 deg. C so I know the tires weren't hot. There wasn't even the slightest hint of slippage or loss of grip.

I replaced the Z6s, after they wore out at 12k miles, with the new Z6 Interacts which I was able to test on the twisties in the rain at CFR. Again, there wasn't the slightest indication of loss of grip. These tires stick to the road like dog sh_t to a blanket.

I have Avon Storms and rode in heavy rain for the first time yesterday (it don't rain much out here). Not a peep out of the tires the whole time so I was pleased with them.

Now, if you really want the best rain tire, I can highly recommend the Bridgestone Potenza 019 Grid. It's not for everyone though. Fantastic mileage, good handling and amazing traction in all conditions. You'd still need something else up front, as the 019 is only for the rear.
To the uninitiated, there may be a certain 'WTF moment' when googling the above, but personally, I like what I'm seeing. :D

I have tried Azaros, Storms, PR2s, Mez4, D220s, and Diablo Stradas. Out of all of them the only one that inspires confidence in the rain is the Strada.

I've not tried as many as geezer, but I too really like the Strada in the rain. I have a Shinko 005 on the rear now and, tho I wasn't in the rain, we just missed it so the roads were wet with some standing water. They did fine, much better than the stock Z6s IMHO.

After my morning commute home today, I can honestly say that for maybe a 1/4" of standing water at 35-40 mph in a torrential downpour when you can't see it coming, a Strada on the front and a Shinko Advance 005 on the rear holds the line very well :calm:

.. another thumbs up for the Pilot Road II's

I've been riding the Feejer since July '02 (you read that correctly) in the Pacific North Wet and my current P.R. II's are the best all around tires yet, after trying six different brands each time. They cost a bit more but last longer, are the first set of tires that experience 0% decel wobble (steering head bearings always correctly torqued), and stick like velcro in reasonably aggressive riding in the rain. I have not tried the new Avons nor the new Dunlops but don't feel a need to at this point! ;)