Big Hit in Eastern Wyoming, Healing the Weeks After a Get Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Casket rides cost money too...but they do nothing to save the occupant.
That certainly brightened my day. :not_i:
Just saying that expensive helicopter rides are much more desirable than the other. Of course I was drunk when I posted it, but it seemed meaningful at the time. :D

Well this ride report just sucks, but glad to hear you're still kicking! Heal up quickly so you can make the next wet side tech day on October 3rd. We'll help you farkle your next FJR. ;)

I saw the news in the thread for a new farkle list, but hadn't seen the ride report until just now. So....

Dayum!!! Very bad fortune to strike the animals, but there was nothing else wrong with your luck at all!!!

As for the bill, I reckon you've got an out-of-pocket maximum, so free health care for the rest of the year! I had that last year, but was bright enough to have my cardiac issue in January, so the post-incident freebie lasted longer....... It was quite satisfying to tell the window nurses trying to collect my copay, "No, I don't think so...... Out-of-pocket max reached."

P.S. Makes me think about the phone, though. I carry mine in the jacket pocket made for the purpose, or else under the seat where I can plug it in to a charger. Jacket pocket is accessible, assuming limbs all work correctly, but what if not? And what's the potential for smashing it in the pocket? under the seat is pretty much as indestructible as it can be, can can you get to it if you get separated from the bike? Even if the bike's right there, can you get the seat open?

Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Last edited by a moderator:
45k is a figure I have heard before when talking to others about Hilo rides to the hospital.
Right on Dougie Bear, my Helo from Yavapai County, Arizona down to Maricopa County, Phoenix was also $45K; I think they make it a Standard Rate! JSNS!
I hate to tell you but they determine the price according to the weight of the cargo. Sounds like both of you were in the "Heavyweight Class"
smile.png

Just sayin' and nuff said! (I hope I did that right.)

When my cousin crashed his Harley he broke his clavicle along with all the other things he destroyed. They did surgery to plate and pin his and it took a while to recover from all of that. With all his injuries it was over a month before he could wipe his own behind. I have experience with what Iggy is going through and I wish him the best.

Damn Iggy, I didn't realize the circumstances were that bad. Considering the possibilities, I'm extremely grateful to be hearing you are doing as well as you are. You've really got me thinking about where I carry my phones and SPOT again.

Are you wishing you would have told us you hit a coyote instead yet??

Ahhh shit.. Damn it Matt that sucks.
sadsmiley.gif

It blows being and involuntary invalid for sure. Hope your healing goes good and is relatively pain free.
I say relatively because as some of us know there is no such thing as painless recovery/ rehab.
Sending good juju for an uneventful recovery.

Sorry about my west end flock getting in the road. I fired the ranch hand responsible.
nono.gif

When my cousin crashed his Harley he broke his clavicle along with all the other things he destroyed. They did surgery to plate and pin his and it took a while to recover from all of that. With all his injuries it was over a month before he could wipe his own behind. I have experience with what Iggy is going through and I wish him the best.
Are you volunteering for something?
omg2.gif

I ended up having surgery on Monday to put a plate in my clavicle and the Doc said I'd munched it very well. Broken in 4 places instead of just 2....so they got their graft kit out, took some bone and marrow from my hip, and I'm 3 days into recovery for that. My back is actually less sore now (mainly because my hip hurts more than anything), but I'm also symmetrical again and not slumping on my right side. Should be 4-6 weeks more of healing and he emphasized how important it is to NOT mess the shoulder up.

This was my first surgery in life and had a "block" besides the general anesthetic. Wow....that was a weird day. Nice railroad looking scar:

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Brother Matt, Seth and Don Stanley are Hoping and Praying your surgery will be a success on the first attempt. I go in for my 4th cut in February on my shoulder! Ignacio with your being Young you have Great Prospects on this surgery, Old Farts like Niehart and I don't stand a chance! JSNS!

P1010069.jpg

Docs have a neat little plier tool for removing those staples, pops them open and pulls them out with one motion. Glad to hear you got that over with, should be all downhill from hear.

Damn! Those are staples, not catgut thread! (Been a while since somebody sewed me back together.) Are they stainless steel?

Also, there are very effective ways to minimize scarring nowadays, but you should not discount the chick-magnet effect of those railroad tracks across your shoulder. It is absolutely a real phenomenon.

Staples are stainless steel. Pillion had her knee replaced last winter and they used GLUE to close up the incision. Staples are fast in and fast out but on these man size incisions require two people working together to get 'em in. Scaring is about equal to sutures. Where the wound is located can often determine what kind of binding gets used and location definitely determines how long they stay in. Clean surgical openings offer more options over ragged wounds from accidents and the length of the wound can change the closure method used.

Now, about the size of the incisions -- my father said to always look for a surgeon with tiny hands
laugh.png

Looking at those staples reminds me of the hog rings used in automotive and furniture upholstering.

... Now, about the size of the incisions -- my father said to always look for a surgeon with tiny hands ...
Not totally sure that Pa was right. I was once told "The bigger the incision, the better the surgeon".
That was before key-hole surgery came along, though.

Bah!! They super glued me chest back together and my groin.and my pacer and my knee and my wrists..

Your surgeon has stock in a stainless steel company.

tonguesmiley.gif
bleh.gif

finger.gif

Matt, heal up quickly. Your excellent write up was painful to read, but very well done. I'll be thinking of you during your recovery. Hang in there. It only gets better from here.