Big Hit in Eastern Wyoming, Healing the Weeks After a Get Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, about the size of the incisions -- my father said to always look for a surgeon with tiny hands
laugh.png
Proctologist, too.

Bah!! They super glued me chest back together and my groin.and my pacer and my knee and my wrists..
They glued your chest to your groin? Must give you some problems when you need to go potty. Bad ones.
omg2.gif

Staples look bad, and maybe it will hurt to pull them out. But it didn't hurt to have my ACL staples pulled out...
+1, Gunny; South Carolina Hillbilly is Correct, staples don't hurt on removal compared to stitches!

Our wheatonFJR - one year out of Chi-Town:

herbert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt,

Thank you so much for sharing all the details of your get off and beginning of your recovery. Can not believe how you had the presence of mind to remember all those details. To say we are glad you're OK is an extraordinary understatement. I know it's been a long time since we met in Park City and Golden but I remember you well and have always enjoyed and looked up to you. Heal fast.

-Michael Malvin

PS I came out of a FJRForum sabbatical to read your write up and see how you are doing.

And for the record, I'm still riding my '06 almost daily.

What a good listen. Great spirit from Matt during this ordeal and GO MOM!!!!

"You're going to buy another FJR????"

Matt's response was perfect.

First hand account; from the man himself!

This episode of Long Riders Radio features my interview with Matt Watkins

in which he talks about his recent accident.

Many thanks to Matt for his willingness to talk about a tough subject.

https://www.longridersradio.com/podcast/2015/10/3/30-matt-watkins-get-off

Thanks for the bandwidth-

Justin
"What's your first farkle going to be?"

"Well, I won't be able to ride for a few months ... but I've commissioned a fuel cell."

Not scared of sheep, then?
smile.png

Two months to the day of my get-off in Wyoming and thought a status report would be in order.

The insurance company sent me a check for the balance of my '14 ES and parts. I was purposely upside down a bit given a great interest rate, but being mailed a check for $1196.68 represents the farkles I went ahead an left with the bike to start over. Once again the metaphor I use is, "When Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader had some words with each other on Cloud City and Luke ended up losing his arm and light saber...he didn't go back to rescue them. He got his arm replaced and built a new light saber." Suck is true for my clavicle surgery and a replacement bike I'll be considering.

It's taking longer to heal than I would have thought. I know I'm 47 and knew I wouldn't heal as quickly as when I was younger, but I think I knocked myself around so much that it's taking extra weeks--also given that I didn't actually get to start fully healing until shoulder surgery 3 weeks after the accident.

Last week I returned half time and this week I'm technically full time, but can't quite hack the 10 hours a day x 4 days a week. So, I've shifted to an 8x5 and will probably do it next week as well. Most days I have to take a nap during the day or I'm completely useless.

For those counting in the cost department I'll say that the overall bill for this so far is right about $110,000 and I think most of the big ticket items have gone through. I have insurance and certainly not going to pay that amount and only out of pocket $3000 so far, but 3 of the big ticket items (helicopter, emergency room, and hospital bill for the surgery) haven't cleared yet.

And for lessons learned and how this was clearly a big event in my life I haven't yet decided exactly where I'm going next. I KNOW I will ride again...no doubt about that. Whether I add a 2016 with the teasing Skooter is doing, find a low-mileage '14 ES because they're just plain cool with features and color, a '15 ES because they're the same and easier to find, or...and I say this carefully as I may decide to just dust off my '05 for a while and instead go spend money the next year getting my private pilots license.

If I've learned anything from this accident is that I'm now a middle-aged guy, I'm not getting younger, and now might be a good time to do another bucket list item. And doing ground school, flight school, and being able to rent a Cessna 172 on a whim sounds very interesting to me......

Meanwhile, I'm still not able to sleep 8 hours straight without waking up from a sore set of ribs or stiff shoulder, but usually can manage 6 or so. I go in for another appointment in two weeks and expect to then start physical therapy to bring my shoulder back to full mobility, and expect somewhere by the end of the year I'll be back as close as I get to normal..or at least a new normal that's almost as good as the old normal.

Thanks forum for being here. You've been an important part of my recovery.

A few pictures along the way:

IMG_3059-768x1024.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

My dad and iPhones don't mix as it's comical to watch him shake the camera everytime he presses the shutter button. But these are the only photos I have of the toasted FJR.

IMG_3132.jpg

Sheep jokes are inevitable..and welcome. I deserve it! Step mom and co-workers separately and unwittingly recreated in stuff animal form the family unit that I snuffed. They sit proudly on my cubicle shelf.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Doing an over-the-handlebar flip yielded a smoked helmet...that completely did its job. I'll be buying another Neotec for sure.

IMG_3094.jpg

Being off work mostly healing at home yields some down time and a trip to the local Target to buy $150 worth of legos and then build it mostly one-handed. I just couldn't bring myself to watch Oprah and had to do something. Yes, those flaps hinge up to then see Chewbacca and others having a party in the Aluminum Falcon.

IMG_3101.jpg

Two weeks ago the cloudy area in the middle is new bone growth. Usually a plate has 6 screws or so...I got to have 10 plus three rounds of bailing wire. After I woke up I was specifically warned by the doctor and a PA that this surgery wasn't their average one and I REALLY needed to not screw things up.

N426SK2.jpg

One of the four Cessna 172's offered by my local flight school. It's interesting that a four person plane has about the same amount of horsepower as an FJR....

Glad to hear your healing up and looking forward Matt. Not a bad idea to dust off the old girl and take to the sky as a new hobby. Perhaps you could be the new "Fly and buy" chauffeur for the forum.

Hope the healing and PT goes quick and is as pain free as can be.

I'd hold out for that '16

Greg

Man! That's brutal Greg. Hopefully insurance will come through on a big part of the helicopter ride...they can be expensive. I think you've really toughed it out and it's surprising to see you back to work already. It can be a very unforgiving place unless you have the right people there. I lost my job after returning too early from Lyme Meningitis, and should have stayed out on disability another month at least.

The good news is you have an 05 to dust off. JMHO, that is not such a bad consolation prize to hold you over. It's good to see you looking forward to something better. Best of luck and good luck with continued recovery.

Glad to hear your healing up and looking forward Matt. Not a bad idea to dust off the old girl and take to the sky as a new hobby. Perhaps you could be the new "Fly and buy" chauffeur for the forum.
Hope the healing and PT goes quick and is as pain free as can be.

I'd hold out for that '16

Greg
+1

Keep active, hobbies sure help! :) and keep heeling.

Thanks for the progress report, Matt. Healing can be slow work, but it sounds like you're on track. Hope you're flying high, literally and on two wheels, soon.

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that the healing process is continuing without complications, other than that pesky clock/calendar.

With the '05 in the garage as an option, flight school sounds like a timely fork in the road to explore. You are clearly better prepared than many for the cockpit environment and, until pigs fly, there are fewer livestock to avoid between takeoff and landing!

We were up your way last month and our son, who is an aircraft mechanic at Boeing Field (mostly private jets), told us that he'd finally been able to witness a "gear up landing" a few days earlier. Early reports blamed 'pilot error', not mechanical malfunction.

You won't have that problem with the 172.

Glad to hear your recovery is progressing, albeit slower than hoped for. I can see why the docs are leery of you re injuring it; that x ray looks like one of my welding projects gone wrong. I would be interested to hear how your flight training and licensing goes, if you decide to go that route.

Good to hear from you, Boss.

Physical therapy is your friend, as is whichever sadist therapist takes charge of your rehab. Remember that when you're swearing under your breath.

"After I woke up I was specifically warned by the doctor and a PA that this surgery wasn't their average one and I REALLY needed to not screw things up." chuckle, chuckle; I see what you did there.

Just curious: since you'll never again go through airport security without beeping, will Homeland Security issue you some kind of "special membership" card? (And that's an awesome X-ray -- in a slightly morbid way.)

Thanks for the update, never though I'd see sheep at your office ;) $150 for Legos? Glad I kept the two huge containers stuffed with Legos from 20 years ago, I'm loaded now.

Flying is fun and it's good to see you setting some new adventures to keep the mind and body moving.

I have never regretted spending the $$$ on my pilot's license, even though I haven't exercised that privilege in almost a decade. In fact, the FJR is our consolation prize for not being able to afford the aviation bug...for now. I whole-heartedly endorse the idea of adding that as your new hobby. Of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an FJR of any generation, and I get the same shit-eating grin in my helmet every time we ride that I did when I first soloed a Cessna 152 back in '93!

Keep healing, and be patient, you'll get there!