Big summer ride in the Ozarks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveoreno

Reaction score
Me and the squeeze have decided to head to the Ozarks this summer. We will be staying in Eureka Springs and I'm looking for recommendations for rides, restaurants etc. I worked in the Missouri portion of the Ozarks many years ago and will be revisiting the Bixby Store, Montauk State park and other attractions on our way to Eureka Springs. I've been checking stuff out on the net but would like to hear from you guys.

Steveoreno, may I suggest you rethink about where to stay. IMHO Harrison, would be a LOT better place than Eureka Springs, and it's not as crowded and the hotel prices are generally lower.

I would have said just the opposite. I like Eureka Springs a little bit better.

hppants is an expert on where to ride and where to stay in Arkansas, he has some decent RRs on here. I have spent a bit of time there and like it a lot. It is also fairly inexpensive to stay in Arkansas. I like the Arkansas State Park Lodges. Mount Magazine and Mount Petit Jean are both very nice places to stay and eat. Mount Nebo does not have a restaurant but it has its own unique appeal. You cannot go wrong in the NorthWestern part of Arkansas.

I have a short RR here from last year when Pop and I spent three days in Arkansas. Might have some useful information in that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paging Alan_C.

Please report to the white courtesy phone.

We found a nice campground in Eureka Springs so we will be staying in our palatial REI tent. I looked at many places to use as a basecamp but the mgmt has to allow us to ship our camping gear to them so we can travel light and the folks in Eureka Springs are willing to do that for us.

Go to motorcyclearkansas.com and get the Riding Guide. It gives seven different loops out of Harrison that are

really good rides. Hampton Inn in Harrison is a great base to ride from.

Plenty of great riding in the Ozarks. I've done it at least 7 times and will likely be back there again this year and many more times.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head:

1. Harrison is better to base out of (motel or camping) than Eureka Springs. E/S is more congested, more touristy (er... touristy trappy), the food is not as good, the bikers are mostly pirates (in every sense of the term), and overall MUCH more expensive. There are campgrounds near Harrison that will accommodate you need to pre-ship your gear.

2. From either location though, you can create several (3 or 4) nice loops through the mountains and hit all of the great roads. More on that later.

3. If you are planning more than 4 days in Arkansas, I would suggest you venture south of I-40 and check out some of the great riding in the southwestern part of the state. The Mena, Russellville, Lake Ouichitta (sp), and Hot Springs areas have some great things to see and ride to and from. But all of that is too far to do in a one day trip, especially from Eureka Springs. So as an idea, you could make a one night reservation at one of the lodges Redfish Hunter has suggested (Mather Lodge in Petit Jean State Park would be my first choice), and take a break from the tent.

4. Go to the Oark Store and eat breakfast or lunch. Take your time - trust me, it's cool.

5. Roads you simply cannot miss:

- Hwy 7, preferably in its entirety, but absolutely do not miss riding from Russellville to Jasper (or visa versa). If you catch that road dry and clean in the mid morning, it will be a spiritual experience for you.

- Hwy 341, AKA Push Mountain Road, eat your Wheaties for breakfast, and just before you get to the base of the mountain, downshift twice and tell your sweetheart to hold on. Holy cow - what a great FJR road that one is.

- Hwy 74 between Piercetown and Ponca. Stop at the Elk Center in Ponca and take a walk down the path at the Lost Valley water falls.

- Hwy 123 between Jasper and Hagerville. This one is 50 miles of 4th gear rollercoaster. It's wonderful.

- Hwy 16 between Hwy 23 and Deer, AR. Take a walk at Alum Cove to see the natural bridge.

- Hwy 27 between Big Flat and Dover. Not many people know about this one - it's very curvy in spots, very good pavement, few road side waterfalls, and just beautiful mixed scenery as you go in and out of the forest and see the farm valleys. This is a great ride

- Hwy 23 (aka The Pig Trail) between Hwy 412 intersection and Eureka Springs. I hesitated on this one - frankly, I don't care for the Pig Trail too much. It's usually full of pirates that don't know how to ride twisties, the road is broken up in sections, and although it is very curvy and scenic with the tree canopy over the road, quite frankly, the other roads above are all better IMO. But its kind of like the Dragon in North Carolina/Tennessee - since you are there, you kind of want the right of passage. And like the Dragon, if you forced me on the Pig Trail, on a decent weather day, I'd run that early in the morning before the pirates get up and start belching all over the place.

This is just a start, there are many others I can suggest. I can also suggest some "off the bike" things to do, such as Hiking and sightseeing. Let me know if you need additional help.

Also, as RFH suggested, I have some routes on my ride reports from Arkansas - here is the one from last year:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/162607-steep-crooked-and-the-shiny-side-up/?hl=+steep++crooked++shiny

Hope this helps, cheers!

Yes Sir...Pants hit the nail right on the head...been there done that, I cant remember how many times...
taunt.gif

Paging Alan_C.Please report to the white courtesy phone.
Looks like pants has this one covered! I also recommend Oark Store for lunch and Push Mtn Rd (one of my favorites).
Depending on the dates and if you want company, there are several others who may be interested in meeting up out there!

Holy Cow, did Pants ever nail it. I've only made two Arkansas trips, but will be there again in a few months. As good as all the roads are that he mentioned, my favorite is still Push Mountain Road. Every time I think of that road, I smile like a possum eating bumblebees.

Wow guys! Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I figured that Eureka Springs is a bit touristy but I contacted about 3 or 4 campgrounds in the Harrison, Arkansas area and none of them have responded and the "Kettle Campground" responded in less than 48 hours. It will only cost us $22 a night for a site with water and electric. We are planning on going the weekend of the Blues festival weekend (June 16th through 19th) but we haven't decided whether that weekend will be the beginning of the vacation or the end. We would be happy to meet anyone who is in the area it's way past time that I ride with some of you. As far as the Pirates, we will do what we always do, get out in front of them.

Great posts. The information is great and did Pants ever step up to the plate! Am wanting to do NW Arkansas sometime this spring with my sons. Can anyone chime in with advice on the best time frame for the sweet temperatures, say mid 60's to 70's? Maybe May or June?

Nah uh...short springs with rainy patches...late April or early May?? It gets from cold to summer fairly quickly if I remember my Hootervilles correctly.

Nah uh...short springs with rainy patches...late April or early May?? It gets from cold to summer fairly quickly if I remember my Hootervilles correctly.
What Mark says. If you need to do the motel thing, I recommend the Quality Inn in Harrison. Stayed there several times, and they'll cut you some good rates for a decent room.

Great posts. The information is great and did Pants ever step up to the plate! Am wanting to do NW Arkansas sometime this spring with my sons. Can anyone chime in with advice on the best time frame for the sweet temperatures, say mid 60's to 70's? Maybe May or June?
June was always nice when I used to work out that way, gets pretty hot by July.