Death Valley Dualsport or Street ride January 23-27

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray, if my Ford can make it through Titus canyon you will be able to do it with your pickup. A road not to be missed.

IMG-3002.jpg

Ray, if my Ford can make it through Titus canyon you will be able to do it with your pickup. A road not to be missed.
IMG-3002.jpg
If your 2 wheel drive FordaBago can make that road, why even bother with the dirt bikes?
rofl.gif
Don,.....all my rigs are 4x4 except the Prius.
rolleyes.gif
You should be with us next week, I'll call in sick for you.

Most of Titus Canyon road isn't all that difficult except climbing up to Red Pass may be a little tough in 2wd as it's slow going in a cage.

This is on the downhill side of Red Pass before entering the tight part of Titus Canyon.

IMG-0008.jpg

Chilly and wet all day, good time to refresh my tire changing skills for the upcoming Death Valley ride.
IMG-0698.jpg

As usual the rear tire was good and stiff but there is nothing like a wood fire to warm up the rubber. (Wives love this part). Learned this trick years ago after fighting cold tires with a buddy back when we were young and dumb.

IMG-0697.jpg

No fancy tire machine here just the same spoons I carry on the bike. I will admit it's been a while since I changed the KLR tires by hand as it is so easy to drop them off at the local shop but it was a good day to use the tools.

IMG-0702.jpg

Success! After doing the rear first the front was cake. Now they can sit over night to check air pressure and hopefully no pinched tubes before they go back on the bike. Humm....I wonder how I learned that.
icon_lol.gif

IMG-0704.jpg

The latest from Friday, as reported on ADV ; Stovepipe and Furnace creek fuel open, Artist Dr open, West Side rd open, Dantes View closed, Texas Spring Campground and Furnace Creek Campground closed, Sunset CG open.

Wild rose area closed per the website. visitor center closed.

Ive been following this thread closely as I have a couple more details to work out before I can commit to the ride, but its looking better the closer it gets !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. Hope to see you there. As of right now I'll need chains to get anywhere !
The forecast next week as of today is nothing but sun for a week in NorCal.
punk.gif
Always bring your chains when crossing the Sierras because all vehicles that are towing a trailer must chain up including 4x4 when chains are required. If that happens on the way home I'll go down to 58 and Bakersfield and come up hwy 99. Fingers crossed the forecast holds for the Sierras.

As stated above most everything we want to do is open but some of the roadside restroom (pit toilets) not in Furnace Creek or Stovepipe Wells may be closed. Pack more TP!

If chains are required anywhere going down 395 to Reno I will abort and go home cause I'm NOT buying chains or putting them on
rolleyes.gif
. I do have studded snow tires and 4X4 on the truck. Does a non studded car tire on the bike count???
smile.png
I-80 and 95 should be OK.

If chains are required anywhere going down 395 to Reno I will abort and go home cause I'm NOT buying chains or putting them on
rolleyes.gif
. I do have studded snow tires and 4X4 on the truck. Does a non studded car tire on the bike count???
smile.png
I-80 and 95 should be OK.
I do believe that's a Mud &Snow on your hippo....you are good to go!

Forecast is looking good!

OK - for everyone clamoring about it, I'm in.

I'm towing the KTM on my trailer, leaving Wednesday morning, south through Tehachapi then east. Bummer of nearly 500 miles to get to Beatty, but I hear it'll be worth it!

I've got an open slot on the trailer if anyone wants to team up for the commute there and back.

OK - for everyone clamoring about it, I'm in.
I'm towing the KTM on my trailer, leaving Wednesday morning, south through Tehachapi then east. Bummer of nearly 500 miles to get to Beatty, but I hear it'll be worth it!

I've got an open slot on the trailer if anyone wants to team up for the commute there and back.
Sounds great! Just swing by North Dakota and pick me up.

Ok I’m in for sure now ! Tires came in and are mounted up, bike loaded in the trailer ready to go. I’ll be staying in the RV park a couple blocks away as I’m taking the cab over camper rig this time. As long as I don’t break a leg skiing on Tuesday I’ll see y’all soon !

Ok I’m in for sure now ! Tires came in and are mounted up, bike loaded in the trailer ready to go. I’ll be staying in the RV park a couple blocks away as I’m taking the cab over camper rig this time. As long as I don’t break a leg skiing on Tuesday I’ll see y’all soon !
Cool, you can stumble jog all the way to the Atomic Inn!

I'm getting off the fence, and heading to California!

Throwing my shit in a bag, the bike in the pickup and I'll be out of here tomorrow, hopefully before noon. I must miss the adrenalin and stress of being a fireman waiting till the last minute like this. I'll see you hosers Wednesday.