Bike only starts in Neutral ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogRaven

Reaction score
Just recently I noticed my 04 with 82k will not start in gear with clutch engaged.

I always USED to be able to do this.

Bike starts fine in Neutral.

Seems I MAY have read this at some point on here, could be something to do with the sidestand switch?

Not a big deal, but I know something is not quite right. Can someone offer advice on this?

Thank you.

Yes. Side stand switch is bad. Maybe just clean that sucker. Afterall it is in a position that takes abuse other things don't!

Another thing to check is the micro switch actuated by the clutch lever. If it has some crud in it, try some contact cleaner and/or replace the switch.

Start with the clutch switch. My clutch switch is good but one of the wires is broken just down stream from the switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not the sidestand switch. If a sidestand switch went bad the engine would die as soon as you put the bike into gear with the sidestand up or down. (BTW - That is how you test a sidestand switch. Just put the side stand down with the bike in gear and it should kill the engine)

It's the clutch switch. Very common problem. Clicky

The clutch switch is not a sealed unit, which is why you end up having issues with it. It is a fairly course set of sliding contacts that is somewhat open to the elements and apt to get gooked up. But it also means that cleaning it is easy peasy, and smearing it liberally with silicone dielectric grease is easy and effective at increasing the time between cleanings.

That post was from 2008 and I've not had any issues with the cleaned and greased switch since then...
wink.gif

No, not the sidestand switch. If a sidestand switch went bad the engine would die as soon as you put the bike into gear with the sidestand up or down. (BTW - That is how you test a sidestand switch. Just put the side stand down with the bike in gear and it should kill the engine)
It's the clutch switch. Very common problem. Clicky

The clutch switch is not a sealed unit, which is why you end up having issues with it. It is a fairly course set of sliding contacts that is somewhat open to the elements and apt to get gooked up. But it also means that cleaning it is easy peasy, and smearing it liberally with silicone dielectric grease is easy and effective at increasing the time between cleanings.

That post was from 2008 and I've not had any issues with the cleaned and greased switch since then...
wink.gif
Good to know, Fred...as mine has also been acting up lately. Thanks for the info.

I meant to say clutch switch! I thought about it after I posted and realized the the sidestand switch, if bad, would kill the bike as soon as you put it in gear. That clutch switch does get gummed up. I took mine apart and cleaned it back when I first had the neutral light issue last year. Couldn't believe how nasty it was. It isn't a sealed switch, so if you ride in rain a lot that should be regular maintenance. (note to self- clean that switch! Hasn't been done since last year and the bike has been through a lot of shit!)

Thanks Fred and the rest.

I did this fix.....and IT WORKED!!

Awesome, Good to know I can get the answers I need here.

Thanks again!!

This forum is awesome. You guys have helped with more things than you will know. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. This is one of them.....had the problem, looked it up and fixed it. I love it!

See, it's okay to ask questions that were asked before.

Sometimes, its just a good reminder for periodic maintenance that one may have forgotten...

2013 Canadian model
I'm apparently experiencing problems with my sidestand switch. Although the engine starts OK, if I shift into Neutral (clutch in), the motor immediately dies. It did this once before and then became OK after a few tries. However, this time it seems more persistent.
Is replacement of the switch the only option? Can the switch be cleaned, repaired, adjusted, etc?
Thanks in advance for any help and info.

2013 Canadian modelI'm apparently experiencing problems with my sidestand switch. Although the engine starts OK, if I shift into Neutral (clutch in), the motor immediately dies. It did this once before and then became OK after a few tries. However, this time it seems more persistent.

Is replacement of the switch the only option? Can the switch be cleaned, repaired, adjusted, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help and info.
Clutch switch is bad (dirty) not the side stand switch.

The Side stand switch is supposed to inhibit starting unless you also have the bike it in neutral.

Read the rest of the thread above on how to clean the clutch switch.

The sidestand switch inhibits starting, except in neutral - whether or not the clutch is pulled.

If the sidestand switch is bad, you can start the bike in neutral but it will quit as soon as you put it in any gear.

Whether the problem is the sidestand or clutch switch, chances are that you can clean it up and be good to go for another few years.

From what has been described here, it seems that the problem is definitely associated with the sidestand switch.
Although I haven't yet had a chance to check, once I've identified the switch, I'll attempt to take it out (if possible) and clean before considering replacement.
Incidentally, should I be looking under the cover directly behind the shift pedal or is it located further along (the linkage for example)?
Thanks again.

In my posting above, I incorrectly stated: "...if I shift into Neutral (clutch in), the motor immediately dies."
Once I had posted and reread, I was unable to correct my typo. It should have read: "...if I shift into First (clutch in), the motor immediately dies."
Sorry about the typo.

The problem is most likely with the switch itself although it could be discontinuity anywhere along the wiring path to the coupler. I don't have a Gen III manual so I can't help you with where it runs and hooks in. Note that (at least with the Gen II) you can use the diagnostic function to verify that the sidestand switch is working (or not).

Latest posts