Bike only starts in Neutral ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is most likely with the switch itself although it could be discontinuity anywhere along the wiring path to the coupler. I don't have a Gen III manual so I can't help you with where it runs and hooks in. Note that (at least with the Gen II) you can use the diagnostic function to verify that the sidestand switch is working (or not).
The manual is actually a bit vague (in my checking so far). The testing seems to amount to putting the sidestand down and then raising to see if the motor stalls out when shifting into first (in down position). The manual seems to suggest replacing as the only option.

The sidestand switch is a very simple device. It's just difficult to get at, as you pretty much have to lie on the floor unless you have a bike lift.

I serviced and lubed mine last year even though it wasn't misbehaving, because it is somewhat exposed to the elements, and I wanted to make sure the anti-corrosion spray, (ACF-50), got to where it should go.

On mine, the two small machine screws holding the gubbins together were very hard to loosen -- serious threadlock, iirc. I had to use my micro butane torch to break the seal. I applied blue 'medium' loctite during reassembly.

You might want to try servicing it -- cleaning and applying anti-corrosion before ordering a replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say for sure on your Gen III, but the Gen II sidestand switch is sealed and not cleanable. I removed mine and sprayed it with contact cleaner and also put it in a ultrasonic cleaner, but it still intermittently failed. I should warn you that if it fails while riding, the bike will instantly shut off which is a butt puckering moment if you just merged into heavy traffic in the fast lane on a bridge with a 2 foot left shoulder: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159487-going-70-in-the-fast-lane-bike-dies-i-dont/?p=1169332

I've got some troubleshooting and bypassing tips in the thread above, but again you'll have to verify if the Gen III is different.

If the switch is covered in goo and road spooge, clean it off (as per the PM I sent to you). If you still have issues and can't take it apart to get at the contacts, replace it. $50+ from an on-line vendor (more from the dealer) so I would try to fix it before I replaced it. Harald is right that you DO NOT want it to fail while riding down the road! Easy to bypass in an emergency but I would never leave it that way. The first decent left-hander becomes a little too exciting if you forgot to raise the sidestand!

Thank you Ross and all the others who kindly jumped in to help with this thread.

I finally got a chance to put my bike up on my mc lift (PITA pushing it up the ramp onto the lift - I think I'll let my wife do it by herself next time
rolleyes.gif
) and it was definitely a fault with the sidestand switch. The little "plunger" which rides on a cam on the side stand was not coming out all the way when the side stand was put in the up position. Once I put a screwdriver behind its "tack-like" head and popped it out, all worked fine except that it was very sticky and sometimes wouldn't come back out all the way after being pushed in, without some encouragement.
At that point, I used compressed air and blew around the plunger area (I didn't check to see if that made a difference). Then I douced the area of the plunger rod with WD-40 and again used compressed air to blow any possible debris away from the plunger shaft.

Once completing this, the plunger worked fine and "popped" out each time after the sidestand was put in the riding position.
For extra protection (?), I lubed the area with silicone spray.
As the problem seemed to be plunger related, I'm hoping that this thing won't act up out on the highway.
Again, thanks to everyone.

If it is simply not popping out all the way, it is very unlikely to fail while riding down the road. Failure will be after stopping and parking the bike on the sidestand. If you have a no-go after a stop, put it up on the centerstand and pop it out again. I suspect you will be good for awhile. Don't neglect the occasional cleaning.