Bike Was Knocked Over

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Reaction score
Ok folks, let the ribbing begin....

I was backing my enclosed trailer with the mini motard bikes in back on to my driveway yesterday.

THe wife, portable phone against her ear, talking to her best friend, was "guiding" me back.

Needless to say, she got wrapped up in one of those "she didn't say that did she" type of conversations and kept signalling me to come back.

Low and behold, there is an 05 FJR in the way, with a cover on it and on its side stand.

WHUMP F*@!ing hell.

3 things:

TOGS do work to stymie the damage to the side fairings

A man full of piss and vinigar can lift a fallen FJR up by just the handle bars and the rear carrier in a single motion.

It's not only woman on cell phones that can ruin your bike/day.

Damage report:

left side hard bag severely scratched, no damage to mounting hardware.

Left side engine cover scratched, maybe able to minimise with buffing out, Wild Larry highway pegs helped out there.

The Yamaha dealer, when they sold me the bike told me that the plastics are not painted, rather the whole thing is blue all the way through.

If that's the case. then why is there a whole bunch of bright white scratches through my side bag?

Question, anyone know what the paint number is? I can then tell my local paint shop and have the thing repaired.

All in all, not too bad, wife is running around yelling it wasn't her fault, I was cussing like a drunken sailor and then had to convince her I was OK about it, not an easy task.

Had a great day at the beach with the jetski though, so that helped put things in perspective.

Skippy :angry:

Skippy

Sorry about your mishap.

When you're done punishing your wife (the poor innocent thing ;) ) try this color.

I understand it's identical to the Yammy blue and cheaper & better than Colorite.

Toyota Stellar Blue TY01612

You did (barely) say your bike is blue, right?

BTW, your dealer is full of sh*t. Bags are painted blue, like the rest of the bike.

Stef

It's not only woman on cell phones that can ruin your bike/day.
Perhaps what you meant to say is that they don't have to be driving and yappin' to ruin your day. No offense intended, really, but the surgeon would still be trying to remove it were it my wife. Why don't people just get these fukkin things grafted onto the side of their head, it could be so compact with the transmitter and power source located within some body cavity. Couple days ago I saw what appeared to be husband and wife at a restaurant, him yapping away to beat the band on the cell, while she sat looking bored as shit. Conversation ended, and the creep dialed again and started anew. Facial contortions indicated these were not serious, emergency type calls. We live in a world populated by self centered creeps with an inflated sense of self importance.

You did (barely) say your bike is blue, right?
BTW, your dealer is full of sh*t. Bags are painted blue, like the rest of the bike.

Stef
Yep, it is a Galaxy Blue 05 model, now don't get me wrong, she wasn't no prom queen before the fall, 16,000 miles in 10 months, including the 6700 mile trip from Florida to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP saw to that.

I guess I should just get over myself and keep riding her (the bike that is) until someone calls her a "ratbike"

Thanks for the info on the Toyota paint color

Skippy

Don't feel so bad. I can't get ANYTHING new and not dent or scratch it. Usually I can't even have something 30 days without banging it up. Even TWICE on the way home from the new car dealership got a flat, a chip and a broken windshield.

I have dropped (or the bike has been dumped, but usually by me) every motorcycle I have ever owned.

I tipped my FJR over Saturday night. I was coming home from a late night ride, and went by a bar where my Harley buddies hang out. I stopped to say hi for about 5 minutes. One of the guys went to check out my bike. I warned him to be careful because I thought I backed it into the curb precarously close to TDC. He didn't touch it. But when I threw my leg over, yep, over it went. Against the curb. On the right can. Nothing else. Dammit. Tested my hernia surgical site picking the bike up. Oh it was sore, but no guts came popping out. Yet. And I hadn't even had a beer. It was 2:30 in the morning, though, and I had been out riding since about 5PM. Nice and cool, but a bit past my bedtime.

So anyway, I'll be looking for a set of stock cans. Or at least the right one.

I'm in no hurry though. I'm sure I'll just bang it up again.

I live in a glass house and I ain't gonna throw no stones. Not for this mishap, anyway.

I've _completely_ given up on trying to keep my 05 looking factory-fresh. It's just scrapes, scuffs, bugs and all sorts. After a bit, they just add to the character of the bike. It's all I can do to keep my face-shield clean. :haha:

I do hope you snatched her cell phone outta her hand, threw it as far as your arm would allow, and let her know she could have it back AFTER she paid for the damages to the bike...

Yes, Omega is married. And you can tell how much he cares for his family. See the avatar of his progeny at work? :D I think the kid was trying to tell daddy something...

I do hope you snatched her cell phone outta her hand, threw it as far as your arm would allow, and let her know she could have it back AFTER she paid for the damages to the bike...
Portable phone, not cell phone, and throwing it would be akin to biting your nose to spite your face.

Your clearly not a married man, or if you are, I pity the old lady.

Mine is worth decidly more than a couple hundred bucks in paint repairs, and is the same great girl that leaves me alone to buy the following list:

2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4X4

2005 FJR (Replaced the FZ6)

2004 Yamaha FZ6 (killed by hurricane Ivan)

1993 Suzuki DR350S

2005 Enclosed 14ft motorcycle trailer

2005 Thumpstar pitbike motard racer

2005 West coast pitbike motard racer

2005 Seadoo underwater scooter

2004 Chinese dual sport

2004 Honda Recon 4X4

2004 Cagliari pocketbike

2001 Yamaha XL800 Jetski

1995 Polaris 750 Jetski

2000 Lund 14ft Jon boat

1998 Evinrude 15hp outboard

2000 Yamaha YZ250 Hare Scrambler

1999 Shuttlecraft

1998 21ft Bayliner Trophy WAC with new 150hp Evinrude.

So, after I have vented (which I have), I will simply go on and get the bike fixed up and enjoy life and the wife again.

Skippy

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in a world populated by self centered creeps with an inflated sense of self importance.
Perhaps what YOU meant to say was 'over-populated' by said a-holes. Someday, maybe that will change. I try and remain optomistic. The problem is, the event that changes that situation may not be survived by enough of us to bury the rest. Luckily, for now, they can be easily driven around and quickly disregarded when on an FJR. Those moments help me make up for all the other ones I have to deal with on a regular basis.

Well, that behavior would almost certainly earn you the Eternal Zipper Award.

You guys sound like me...I do the most damage to my equipment w/ the ignition off. Like when I was walking the FJR out of the garage and rubbed the right side bag on the garage door frame. Fortunately, the white paint (from the door frame) came off w/ mineral spirits and was able to buff out most of the scratches as they did not go down to the white plastic beneath the galaxy blue paint.

Or, how about the time that I turned the ignition off on my previous bike and was backing into a parking space. Foot slipped in oil? gravel? bad luck? and the bike went over and broke a large chunk of fairing off.

Both have high PO factors. But, I'll take these any day compared to a high speed get off.

That's exactly where I thought he was going. I was thimkin' DOOOh NOO!

You'd better not let HER hear you talk about her like that. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that the bags are painted. I put some clear tape on the bags to avoid scuffing them with my tailbag during my recent 4400 mile trip. When I got back and pulled the tape off, it took off big chunks of paint off the bags. I also had tape on the tank to protect from my tankbag, but that paint did not have a problem. I guess I will try to repaint the bags. The bags are actually black underneath the paint.