Bike Wont Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got back last week from a 7000 mile trip on my 2022 FJR1300...bike ran great as usual..today I went to start it and it cranks but doesnt start...has gas and hear the fuel pump turning on,checked the battery and it has 12.3 volts...tried kickstand up and down,messed with the key by jiggling it around ( read a few people had trouble with that) just wont start..any suggestions? thxs

Sounds like it may be flooded. Did you, by any chance, start the bike and then shut it down before it had a chance to warm up to full operating temperature? If so, it is likely flooded and the usual cure is to start with WOT (wide open throttle). Crank 15 seconds or so with WOT. If it doesn't work, wait a few minutes for starter to cool and try again. Of course, make sure battery is FULLY charged and in good condition before you try. Reluctance to start is much worse with a battery that isn't at peak performance.

There could be other causes but this is most common...

Note: If there is an interlock error such as kickstand or clutch switch or neutral switch, the engine wouldn't even crank, let alone start.

Last edited:
had the bike towed to the dealer today and just got a day from them saying the bike has no compression..they want to tear the motor open..like I said bike ran great until this incident...any ideas ????

As I mentioned, I expect it is flooded. Never heard of "no compression" in an FJR - certainly not a practically new bike!
Did they actually measure it or just observe the so-called "fast starter syndrome" (flooded)
No compression on all four cylinders? What are the actual readings?
Assume it is under warranty? Does the local dealer/shop have a good reputation?

I probably would have checked out a few things before getting the dealer involved - even if it is under warranty.

Good God, do NOT let them work on it!!! Tell them to put a charger on the battery, hold the throttle fully open, and start it.

I notice you didn't answer any of Ross's questions. Go back, read his posts, and answer the questions!!

I find it hard to believe you'd do 7000 miles, park it and lose compression. Not unless your timing chain broke when you shut the engine. Highly unlikely.

Tell the dealer to supply you with the comp numbers or pull your bike outta there ASAP. Didn't somebody else get this same story from a dealer a while back?

EDIT: Found it ---> https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/2014-with-serious-problem.181005/#post-1457014

I find it hard to believe you'd do 7000 miles, park it and lose compression. Not unless your timing chain broke when you shut the engine. Highly unlikely.

Tell the dealer to supply you with the comp numbers or pull your bike outta there ASAP. Didn't somebody else get this same story from a dealer a while back?

EDIT: Found it ---> https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/2014-with-serious-problem.181005/#post-1457014
The OP never came back with any resolution (or even a further reply) on that post, although he has been on the forum since. Common courtesy demands that you acknowledge assistance rendered and followup for everyone's benefit. How else can we learn? I expect that was most likely flooded or possibly bad battery/starter coupled with idiot Yamaha mechanic. (Same for this one.)

my bad for not replying just been so F'ing upset with whats happening with the bike...compression was between 35-44 psi then dealer opened up the engine and the carbon buildup was beyond extra heavy...the valves were stuck in the open position....bike has 27,000 miles ...oil has been changed according to maintenance schedule...dealer is going to put it in as a warranty claim(extended warranty) but he doubts yamaha will honor it...what would you guys do since it wil be a $2000+ job to repair? thxs for any help

If the bike is under warranty, they should absolutely fix it. There must be something fundamentally wrong for an FJR engine to be that heavily carboned up. I have NEVER heard of it happening, even on a bike driven in a very conservative manner.

Personally, I am skeptical about the diagnosis, but I didn't see it so can't really say anything further.

Did they say how it happened, what they were going to do to fix it, or how they would prevent a recurrance?

I hope they fix it for you.

Note: $2000 seems excessive to me. You can buy a good used motor for half that (but still need to get it installed). Guess it depends on what they say your engine needs.

I'm with Ross and very skeptical. Did you go to the dealership and see it actually apart? They gave a pretty quick diagnosis and tear down. Any pics of the carbon buildup? How can all the valves be stuck open? What dealership is this and what are they doing for $2K to fix it? Doesn't the FJR come with a 3 year warranty? A 2022 bike should still be covered.

Not to rub salt in the wound but you never acknowledged and tried any of the advice received here (eg. battery, flooding). Lots of guys here know more than the dealer.

There is something wrong with this story. In my not so humble opinion your dealer is a bunch of morons and totally screwed you. But, that is also on you for taking it to them and not pursuing more advice from above.

I would be upset in your shoes too @thinkingofone. Mostly because of what the dealer is telling you: the ‘compression was between 35-44psi’ AND ‘the valves were stuck open’. Did they explain how they managed to get any compression at all? Did they offer some kind proof or for you to come in and see the problem for yourself? Or, are they expecting you to take their good word for it?

It sure sounds like that the dealer is eager to get some money from Yamaha, or You. I think that Yamaha won’t buy their diagnosis like other experienced members on this forum do not, so you might get to fit the bill at the end. I hope that that won’t bet the case, but don’t be surprised if it will be.

I hope that things will turn out fine for you, and you’ll get your bike back soon without having fork over that kind money. Good luck to you!

OP was on this afternoon. I gotta assume he saw all these posts. I don't know why he won't answer questions posed.

Oh well, added to the don't-bother-to-help-list.

Hello.. my computer always has this page open and not that it's anyone's business but my wife has F'ing cancer so I have more important things to worry about than dropping everything to answer comments here which for the most part I greatly appreciate... the dealer is Wheel Sport Center in New Rochelle.. those are the pics of my engine apart.. thxs and really hope I'm not on the don't bother to help list

Attachments

• 20231103_160510.jpg
    20231103_160510.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231103_160507.jpg
    20231103_160507.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I am very sorry to hear about your wife’s condition too and understand how life is with living with the same, first hand. I hope that her condition will improve soon.

Folks on this forum are trying to help you as much as they can with issues you post, and there are a lot of experience here riding and fixing FJRs. Probably more than most mechanics encounter in a lifetime.

I admit, I can get a little enthusiastic and become impatient to hear back from the OP after I post a suggestion that I think would help him. I am sure that I am not the only one to be like that, so bear with us.

In your case the dealer’s explanation didn’t add up - for me at least, and this is why: Your young ‘22 FJR that has just completed a 7K trip and has always ran fine until now, suddenly won’t start after a work shift because of low compression on all 4 cylinders - all at once - due to carbon build-up? It still doesn’t sound right. There is carbon buildup showing on the pictures, for sure, but I still find it unbelievable that it caused a sudden, catastrophic, no-start failure. I would have expected gradual degradation in performance, idling and running issues, etc., first as a symptom of carbon build up that happens slowly over time.