Blinking brake lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the issue of the in-the-oem-module flashing is that the total lit area on an FJR is not very large. Blinking them means even less light for some parts of the time spent braking.
I went with the Hyper-Lites specifically because they added MORE light when braking to increase visibility to anyone behind me. Meanwhile the OEM brake lights remain working as designed so there's not some % where rear intent is decreased.
Ditto my choice of the light bar, I wanted additional lighting. To each his own I guess but to me the OE brake lights are minimal especially in the day time.

I saw the issue of the in-the-oem-module flashing is that the total lit area on an FJR is not very large. Blinking them means even less light for some parts of the time spent braking.
I went with the Hyper-Lites specifically because they added MORE light when braking to increase visibility to anyone behind me. Meanwhile the OEM brake lights remain working as designed so there's not some % where rear intent is decreased.
Er... not quite. Granted the location and design of the brake light leaves much to be desired. NTL it's visible to anyone but 18-wheelers.

Granted the total on-time is reduced. What counts is the flash frequency. A rapidly to slowly flashing light is more eye-catching than a solid-on light. Many, many, many years after spotting moving things to eat, or to be eaten by, was a life or death thing, we're still wired to pay attention to movement and flashing. Flashing things draw more attention. Think about all those flashing OPEN OPEN OPEN signs, moving text on an LED screen, etc. Flashing attracts. And that's the intent, get Tom Tailgater to notice there's a blinking red light in his face.

You're tilting at windmills now.

You've stated your opinion. Others have given you their reasons for choosing differently. No one is changing anyone else's mind since we're 16 years into the design and many of the people here have had all that time to consider and form opinions.

I had to look around to see if I'd stumbled onto a Gold Wing forum when all these old discussions about modulated lights (front and rear), linked brakes, ABS, traction control, and such started popping up this past week. They talk about that stuff nearly all the time but I attributed it to old people set in their ways or forgetting they had already talked about it.

Last edited by a moderator: