Bloated Angel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frushlorton

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I know it's Friday. I know nitrogen in tires is no real benifit. I can and do check my own pressure. So, in this case I own up to the fact I was a jack ass. Just do not undersstand how a dealership can make this mistake.

I put Angels on the bike last year and loved them. I had them filled w/ nitrogen just to see if they were better about keeping air constant.

Recently, I stopped by the dealership to look around and had them check the tires and fill if needed. It was just as they were opening and the svc mgr took it right back. He said he could not belive it, but there was zero psi in the rear. I had never felt it get squirrely or loose even when riding in the HOV lane at higher speeds. He filled and checked for leaks but found none.

While prepping for an Air Force ride tomorrow, I checked the air and found 86 psi in the rear. I thought the guage may have been off at the station so I went home and checked with my guages and found the same. I leveled it out to 40 and called the dealer.

He remebered the bike and said he would check the guage and a few bikes and call me back. He found out that the system may have been turned off for the night and may have reset after he was measuring my pressure. So I guess he made a tare psi and added from there?

The problem is it looks like it is wearing, as expected, down the center and squaring off after just a short time (5 or 6 commutes). He asked I bring it in to see what he can do.

Anyone else ever had anything similar?

Zero? Really? I have only had the front go flat and wow that was something. It was down to about 20 PSI and the damn thing wouldn't turn. I check my tire pressure every day I ride. I am certain +/- a few PSI in the front tire makes a difference in the steering. I would worry about a tire being low etting hot and blowing out like a car tire.

I have had my tires changed twice and both times the dealer put WAY too much air in them, even after I told him I wanted 39/42. 86?? wow.

My bike is in my garage and I bought a cheap Sears compressor with tank. It's very convenient for this sort of thing.

Lemme see here.

I just checked my rear PR2 and the max inflation is 42 psi cold. You've been running with double the pressure causing who-knows-what potential damage to the structure of the tire. I'm not a tire engineer, but if it were me...I'd be having a heart-to-heart with the dealer because they owe you a new tire. If there are any questions, have them call Pirelli and ask them.

It's not worth $150 and having the tire fail at speed.

--G

What kind of weed high grade sinsemilla was the service manager smoking that he checked the pressure on an obviously inflated tire and thought that "zero psi" was even a possibility? That ain't a run-flat tire, so how else does he so uncritically accept THAT reading?!? :unsure:

And what were you doing smoking from his stash that early in the morning that it sounded plausible that you'd just ridden in on a tire with NO air in it? (Or is nitrogen supposed to work at 0 psi?)*

You two really need to switch to coffee first thing in the morning. ;)

* Sorry, but it IS still Friday on this coast as I post this. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahaha. My local dealer put the front tire on BACKWARD. TWICE. Considering how damn easy it is to look at an arrow and figure out which way it's pointing, I can easily imagine them screwing up the pressure that badly. They're out of business now... I wonder why? This is one of the major reasons I mount my own tires.

Is this Federicksburg Motorsports?

They put one tire on backwards, on another they left a tire rim protector inside.

They gouged me for mounting tires bought elsewhere.

They wanted like $85 more for one rear tire than I paid.

I mount my own tires now.

Sent me a flyer for KTM demo rides.

I got a hotdog but no demo ride. WTF?

I could look at a tire and tell it wasn't right with 86 psi,

let alone ride it for more than few feet? I think you need to

go with the check before every ride plan!

Is this Federicksburg Motorsports?

I could look at a tire and tell it wasn't right with 86 psi,

let alone ride it for more than few feet? I think you need to

go with the check before every ride plan!
Nope, not FMS. It was Coleman in Woodbridge.

My butt is not yet calibrated and my eyes are definitely off. Standing beside the tire and letting air out you still could not tell. So, how did you come by this talent for eyeballing psi? Daily/weekly practice?

And what were you doing smoking from his stash that early in the morning that it sounded plausible that you'd just ridden in on a tire with NO air in it? (Or is nitrogen supposed to work at 0 psi?)*

Did not believe it until several old codgers related stories of zero psi with sport tires and not catching it. (Must not have had the calibrated eyes)

You two really need to switch to coffee first thing in the morning

AGREE

Did not believe it until several old codgers related stories of zero psi with sport tires and not catching it. (Must not have had the calibrated eyes)
Well, I'm an old codger who mounts his own tires, but in 40+ years on motorcycles, I've never seen a 0 psi tire on an even moderately heavy bike that hasn't been flat or nearly flat (unless the tires are off the ground). In fact, on the FJR, with a flat rear (e.g., due to a nail or leak), it WILL fall over if it's on the side stand, so the first thing to do is put it on the center stand.

Due to engine placement, the front has much of the bike's weight on it and the sidewalls are usually not as stiff as the rear. So if it's badly underinflated, it usually looks like it. Moreover, if you've ever had the displeasure of getting a front flat while riding, there's no mistaking that scary feel -- it's worse than having a rear go. I'm nearly certain that weirdness is due to loss of pressure, and NOT due to the small hole through which the air leaked.

Different tires probably behave differently and I've never run Pirelli Angels on anything. Still, I'm skeptical, but maybe there are some tires on some bikes that aren't flat or nearly flat at 0 psi. OTOH, on the FJR, if either tire is 10 lbs underinflated, the turn-in performance difference is downright obvious, especially at slow speeds. My Blackbirds have both been even worse when down that much -- feels like something is really wrong.

I doubt I could tell the difference visually with an overinflated tire, and don't have any experience riding overinflated tires. The only time I've overinflated one even close to that much is very briefly while seating the bead in the process of mounting a tire on a wheel.

Either way, a service manager ought not to have made that mistake.

You are indeed a brave person for posting that on a Friday.

From what I hear from pretty much everyone I know, there is literally NO way to miss the fact that the tire pressure is 0 psig. Front or back, the bike will not turn. So, not to criticize, but if anyone ever tells any of you reading this post that your rear/front/training wheel tire is at 0, tell 'em to eff off. I don't think it's possible to not know.

Edit: Oh, for the record, when I read the title, I thought we would be treated to pics of a fat chick wearing revealing lengerie. Imagine my disappointment.

I gotta say that pushing an FJR with a flat tire is VERY difficult . . . . . . zero PSI would have been *very* noticeable.

Your dealer (or the flunky in the back) likely reset the gauge while it was attached to the bike - so it thought that 42 PSI (or whatever it was at) read as zero.

Having said that, your tires had to have been warm, so the pressure already elevated - they *should* know not to set tire pressures on a warmed up tire.

As to owing a replacement tire? I suspect no damage, but would ask the manufacturer for an opinion before demanding anything.

Bramfrank, you are right. He tried to check it and realized the system was off. He turned it on and reset it. This set the 42 to zero. Much like taking off the weight of the bowl off at the mongolian bbq. I told him I never felt anything wrong and had just ridden at 85+ on the way there with no issues.

I am glad that it turned out to be over pressured rather than me not being able to tell when it is zero.

The ride today went well. 175 miles through northern VA and Harpers Ferry, WV. No handling problems, tire still seems to be balanced.

Powerman, we need to get together w/ others in the area. I will try to be at Quaker Steak and Lube for Wed, Bike Night.

Ugh. This is what gives me pause as I get ready to take my bike in for its first valve check. Where to go and feel confident they know what they are doing?

Ugh. This is what gives me pause as I get ready to take my bike in for its first valve check. Where to go and feel confident they know what they are doing?
Find a Yamaha Five-Star Certified Service Center. This means that their service technicians are factory trained and certified by Yamaha Motor Corporation to service your Yamaha.

Update: Upon checking, they agreed they messed up with the reading. However, they started going down the road that the bike was too heavy for the Angels. When I told them I had to wait for the E spec due to the weight...they realized they failed to order the E spec. Two new tires enroute. :yahoo:

UPDATE: Coleman Power Sports in Woodbridge ordered in a new set of Angels and installed them this afternoon. The ride was great. In all, the service at Coleman's was great. The mgr, owned up to the mistake and made every effort to correct it without any excuses.

OK then, a mistake was made -

..they took ownership of said mistake..

and took corrective actions?

I would be good with that, one time...

Lord knows I've made errors myself...

UPDATE: Coleman Power Sports in Woodbridge ordered in a new set of Angels and installed them this afternoon. The ride was great. In all, the service at Coleman's was great. The mgr, owned up to the mistake and made every effort to correct it without any excuses.

Big plus on the managers part.