Bluetooth and helmet speakers question.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midlifeuturn

Reaction score
The GPS I'm getting is bluetooth and I've seen these bluetooth "receivers", for lack of a better description, that allow you to plug helmet speakers into them. This would allow me to listen to GPS directions as well as mp3 from the gps. I realize there are bluetooth intercom units and I may go to that at some point. Do any of you use a set up that allows you to do this? What is the sound quality?

Paste this into Google and you'll get 567 hits on FJRFORUM:

site:fjrforum.com bluetooth

The short answer is generally not as good as hardwired, with - duh - the newer and/or more expensive devices being better.

Happy reading

Do the GPS units actually output their voices to Bluetooth? I thought that was just for a phone connection, so they could handle your phone call and pipe it into whatever the wired audio is connected to. (Not having one of these newfangled GPS things that does more than map and route, I remain ignorant in these matters.)

Do the GPS units actually output their voices to Bluetooth? I thought that was just for a phone connection, so they could handle your phone call and pipe it into whatever the wired audio is connected to. (Not having one of these newfangled GPS things that does more than map and route, I remain ignorant in these matters.)
My ZUMO talks to me via BT!

My Garmin 660 will do Stereo blue tooth along with MP3, Phone and guidance all simultaneously.

Dave

Yeah, my brother is owning Iqua Sun Visor Solar Powered Bluetooth on accessorygeeks.com. This speaker car kit can answer/end/reject call, last number redial, voice dial activate (when supported by mobile phone), call waiting Volume control, mute fast call function, pairing/memory erase. I love it so much, this can have auto reconnection at power on and disconnect at power off

I can use a little help here. I can't get my Zumo 660 and my Chatterbox GMRS- X1 Bluetooth to communicate wirelessly. I can get them to recognize each other and I've gotten the Zumo to say it is connected to the Chatterbox but I can't hear anything (music, phone, or directions) when they are linked via bluetooth. I've talked to reps at Garmin and HJC with no luck. Anybody get it to work? If so, instructions would be most helpful.

I can use a little help here. I can't get my Zumo 660 and my Chatterbox GMRS- X1 Bluetooth to communicate wirelessly. I can get them to recognize each other and I've gotten the Zumo to say it is connected to the Chatterbox but I can't hear anything (music, phone, or directions) when they are linked via bluetooth. I've talked to reps at Garmin and HJC with no luck. Anybody get it to work? If so, instructions would be most helpful.
I'm no blue tooth expert, but I've had some issues with my cell phone and my Zumo 660. I posted my experiences on the zumoforum recently and have copied the text below. Maybe my experience will help you?

I recently finally got around to trying my Motorola Q9C phone with my Zumo 660. I've only used Bluetooth once before when I tried a "clip on ear" type hands free setup (which I didn't like because the earpiece flopped around), so I don't really have any experience with BT.

Garmin lists a Motorola Q as compatible with the 660, but that phone doesn't look like mine and I don't know what's different between a Q and a Q9C. But my phone does appear to work with a few caveats I've listed below.

Setting both the phone and gps on my desk, I played with them over the course of a few days. I'm not impressed with how easy the setup and implementation were. I think I finally have it figured out, but it's taken a big learning curve with lots of frustration.

Here's what I've learned:

When initially pairing phone with gps, my phone doesn't permanently lock up.

It is merely out of commission while the first sync and address book transfer occurs. I didn't time this delay, but it was at least 15 minutes. I thought I had a phone problem and ended up pulling the battery out of the phone to force it to shutdown because it no longer responded to any keystrokes. Subsequent pairings go quickly if done correctly.

The phone and gps don't automatically pair when close to each other.

My phone is always on and I just assumed that once I turned the gps on that they would automatically talk to each other. Nope. Usually I would get a "failed to connect" message on the gps before I got home on my 30 minute commute on the bike. The solution is for me to go into the BT manager on the phone after turning the zumo on and selecting disconnect from zumo. The phone shows connected to the zumo, but I actually have to select disconnect. Then, as if by magic, the phone automatically connects to the gps and all works fine. Seems odd, but I won't argue with success.

I haven't actually taken any calls while on the road because I don't currently have audio into my helmet. I have used the address book in the zumo to place a call to my home and leave a test message. The mic and speakers in the zumo seem to work fine when sitting on the desk at work.