BMW Handgrips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
So I went to go and put the ribbed BMW handgrips on the FJR, and apparently there's a little more to it than meets the eye.

I looked at a 1200GT in the showroom at the local BMW dealer, and it appeared they had normal 7/8 bar grips. However, they come already on a plastic tube that has an ID of 7/8 so if I remove them from the tube, they will be too big.

Anyone done this farkle, and if so what year/model of BMW grips did you purchase?

p.s. anyone need a brand new set of grips for a 1200GT... :rolleyes:

So I went to go and put the ribbed BMW handgrips on the FJR, and apparently there's a little more to it than meets the eye.
I looked at a 1200GT in the showroom at the local BMW dealer, and it appeared they had normal 7/8 bar grips. However, they come already on a plastic tube that has an ID of 7/8 so if I remove them from the tube, they will be too big.

Anyone done this farkle, and if so what year/model of BMW grips did you purchase?

BMW part numbers:

32 72 1 458 396

32 72 1 458 395

I paid $20 for the pair.

VistaCruise.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have those same BMW Sport grips as shown above. However there is some modification required as the BMW's are of a shorter length. Refer to FJRTech for needed mods.

Awesome, thanks guys.

I was aware of the length difference, just not the fact that all ribbed BMW grips are not the same...

Don't know if I got a mismatched set, but I had to build up the throttle tube with electrical tape to keep the BMW grips from slipping. Clutch side diameter was fine.

I specifically remember the BMW dealer giving me two different ID grips. One for the throttle side, and one for the clutch side. Go with Kurt's #'s.

My only problem is that I am starting to notice a good deal of wear on the grips after about 25K miles.

BMW part numbers:
32 72 1 458 396

32 72 1 458 395
These part numbers are exactly correct.

I received them the end of last week, and they worked perfectly. ~$20 as stated here.

I love them. We went out for a ride on Sunday and man what a difference. Much more comfortable than any other grip I've used before. I'll probably put these on every bike I own from here out. Great grips.

Thanks again for the help in tracking down the right part numbers.

Awesome, thanks guys.
I was aware of the length difference, just not the fact that all ribbed BMW grips are not the same...
By the time that I struggled these onto my bike, they were the same length as the stockers. Funny how rubber stretches.

On another note... I was expecting these to be wonderful... so, I had to have some. I'd heard so many accounts where they were better than stockers. When I put them on I was mucho disappointed. They took me a VERY long time to get used to.

Realistically, I'd rather have them turned around where the fatter part of the grip is on the inside.

One of these days, I'm going to do away with them.

Does anyone know where I can find the install instructions for these? I can't find them on FJRTech anymore.........

I didn't think that directions were needed to do this. Get grip glue, put plenty on the clean handlebar & inside the grip itself. "Immediately" if not sooner, twist the grip on & into position once the glue is applied.

As I was told by Jeff Ashe... the more glue, the easier it is to slide the grip into place.

There are folks that use other goo to put 'em on... but I feel that grip glue is the right way (for me).

Ok....a previous post mentioned some "required mods" b/c the BMW grips were shorter......What those "mods" were was what I was actually looking for info on............

I tried all the grips reccomneded here, grip puppies, BMW and those ugly touring grips...

Got a pair of the Pro grip gel grips and my hands are happy:

https://tinyurl.com/58eonx

Much like seats, this is a subjective issue. I can't stand the large diameter grips..feels like I am holding myself, not a motorcycle grip...

The ribbed ones hurt my hands after 50 miles and are not tacky enough for me.

Well , to each his own.

KM

I tried the grip puppies first, but they were too bulky for me. They were definitely more comfortable once speed was constant, but I didn't like the feel while riding around town.

I recently switched to the bmw grips. Used a dremel on the left side switch housing (as per warchild's web). I added some tape to the handlebar, underneath the switch housing to firm things up - otherwise the switch housing was rotating around the handlebar (maybe I was over-zealous with the dremel).

On the throttle side, the gap left by the bmw grips was used by a madco throttle lock. Snug fit due to the madco lock (I think it's slightly wider than a vista), but man it looks good and functions well.

I enjoy the feel of the bmw grips. Slightly larger feel than the stock grips and definitely softer. They also feel a little tacky, which I like.