BMW K1200GT broke down in Reno, Nv.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjr07

Reaction score
Just read on the BMWLT site that the man that has stumpped for the GT so long, raving about how good it is and what a nice ride that it is, is now broke down in Reno, Nv. on his first long trip. Drive shaft failure. One of the very reasons that I decided to go with the FJR. You hear about drive shaft failure all the time on the BMW site. I guess that it happens to FJR's but nothing like the BMW's. He has had the bike for about a year and the drive shaft has already given way.

What a bummer. I'm going out in the garage right now and give my FJR a big old hug.

There's a great BMW dealer close by in Sparks. At least he's within walking distance. LOL

That sounds expensive. Hope it's still under warranty.............kind of. :p

I wonder how many actually check the shaft splines for grease. I'll be riding back from Phoenix with a guy on a K1200 GT. I'l have to have him check the bike completely before we leave for Washington.

I guess the FJR is one of the most dependable sport tour bikes around. Got to love it.
thumbsup4kk.gif

I wonder how many actually check the shaft splines for grease. I'll be riding back from Phoenix with a guy on a K1200 GT. I'l have to have him check the bike completely before we leave for Washington.
But its not the splined shaft that fails. The differential failure on the BMWs is a bearing within the differential case. Sometimes the rider catches it at "noise" and pulls over. There have been pictures posted of "complete" seizure/failure, and it is not a pretty sight.

Sounds like this rider jumped ship at the right time, but got stuck with a different sort of boat anchor. You just don't read about this sort of stuff over here.

Should've kept your LT. Sorry could not help.

"Well, if he had kept the LT he'd probably just be getting to Cali... that GT is quick!

Actually, he'd still be in the midwest -- his LT's new owner reports that it's stuck in 3rd gear.

And this is "FJR Specific" because....?

Sorry, once you sort out a few thousand threads, it kinda sticks with you. I would have filed this into NEPRT, with all the other "other-badge-bashing" stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with that, other than the fact that the truly superior don't need to trash talk....

"I'll be back for you Jack, and I'll let the machine speak." Name that tune.

You just don't read about this sort of stuff over here.
Except on Carver's bike. :rolleyes:

Sorry, once you sort out a few thousand threads, it kinda sticks with you. I would have filed this into NEPRT, with all the other "other-badge-bashing" stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with that, other than the fact that the truly superior don't need to trash talk....

It is FJR specific because it specifically relates back to the FJR, it being a sport touring bike also, that it is specifically a better choice.

Did ya get all of that?

It is FJR specific because it specifically relates back to the FJR, it being a sport touring bike also, that it is specifically a better choice.

Did ya get all of that?
I was thinking the same thing. :D

Does this apply to the much talked about R1200GS too?

Sure dose , they are not a happy bunch of campers on the BMW boards . The cost has been anywhere up to about $2,000 for the repair .

The repair is to replace the 19 ball bearing ( German Made ) with a 17 Ball bearing ( French Made ). The enginering principal is the larger the ball the more load it can take . If I remember correctly on one of the boards someone did it themselves ,in about 4 1/2 hours he said the next one would probably take 3 hours . The parts via BMW was about $117 , so labour is a big winner for the dealers the agument now is

Are the dealers pushing for BMW to Warranty the job or looking at what makes them more money ???BMW would probably pay for 4 hours labour at say $ 60 = $240

Customers can be paying $ 1,200

BIG differnce

NO WONDER they are called STEALERS

IF I was in charge of BMW I would make it a recall, cop the LOSS and gain some respect from my loyal customers ,not piss them off as is happening at the moment.BMW might think that there buyers are generally older ,more finacial and can afford to repair them,they are missing the fact people with money talk to people with money and no one likes being ripped off .A pissed of customer will tell lots of potential customers NOT to buy a product .I predict they will loss about 30 % of there customer base in 5 years ,they are missing sales everyday because of this.

While I personnally prefer my FJR, my first beemer, a '94 R1100RS was a gr8 and bullet proof bike for the 22K+ miles I had her. I did run that big boxer at or above the speeds my FJR travels at....but then I could ride all the time any time when I had her...unlike now. Oldurr age and a failed first neck operation...SUCK!

If my body ever tecuperates and then cooperates I'd sure be delighted to run my FJR far past 22K miles....sigh. DFO :blink:

Just read on the BMWLT site that the man that has stumpped for the GT so long, raving about how good it is and what a nice ride that it is, is now broke down in Reno, Nv. on his first long trip. Drive shaft failure. One of the very reasons that I decided to go with the FJR. You hear about drive shaft failure all the time on the BMW site. I guess that it happens to FJR's but nothing like the BMW's.
Actually, no, we very rarely ever hear about a failed final drive on a FJR.

Although we've had a number of instances where the pinion seal and/other seals in the pumpkin housing has started leaking... but none of the catastrophic mechanical failures the BMW rear drive is famous for....

The repair is to replace the 19 ball bearing ( German Made ) with a 17 Ball bearing ( French Made ).
BWAH! That is rich! Perhaps they install the French bearings backwards so they run better, fooling them into thinking they are in full retreat..... :lol:

Oh what a beautifully ironic moment this is!

I've been a moderator on that board for ages and Joe (messenger13 over there) and I have had a good natured debate going on FJR vs. GT for months.

I've got me some adult beverages coming my way now! I bet him last year that his GT would leave him stranded before my FJR would and it's PAY UP TIME JOE!

HAHAHAHAHA!

The repair is to replace the 19 ball bearing ( German Made ) with a 17 Ball bearing ( French Made ).
BWAH! That is rich! Perhaps they install the French bearings backwards so they run better, fooling them into thinking they are in full retreat..... :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: