Boots!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimLor

Reaction score
I currently wear a pair of flight boots that I've already pulled the collar off of and have a good sized hole in the tongue - probably out to consider new riding boots before these fall apart completely. I'm not looking for multi colored, plastic, knobby boots, just a good pair that work for riding and are decent for walking. I've got a pair of cowboy boots I haven't tried yet, but I'd prefer laced boots in case I ever do go down so my boots and feet won't go in different directions. I "intend" to ride at least 3 seasons, so would appreciate a boot that will work "ok" in the heat and the cold. Thanks.

yeah ,, me too,

I am currently wearing a pair of Ridge tactical boots,, they walk great and come up high enough for me ,, I am just interested in what others are using,,

my buddy at Motorcycle Trends in my city has a pair of Nitro boots that I tried on to day,, felt very nice,,light ,,walked well and had breather holes,, they lace up and have a flap with hook n loop to cover the laces,, carbon fiber patches in obvious wear spots,, and not to badly priced,, I am concerned about protection,, I earn my living with my legs n feet,,

Check out New Enough, Sidi makes some nice boots. for safety you really should have a ridding style boot, something that Can protect your legs from pavement, or cracking your bone on a bike part.

Here is the link..New Enough (boots)

Enjoy...

UnCaged

I 2nd the Sidi boots. I have a pair and love them....They are a very light boot that fits more like a slipper than a boot yet they have double layers of leather in the heal and toe areas. They also have armour in the shins and around the ankle. You can really feel the bike through the pegs with these boots on. I have tested them in heavy rain.....90% water proof.

Sidi V2. Get the black and you can pull jeans over the top of them, and it doesn't look like you're a power-ranger wanna-be.

I highly recommend the Bates touring boots. The styling is low key enough to be worn at work. Very little break-in required and fit snug enough above the ankle area not to slip out in the event of a crash. You can also get them custom fitted if you have special sizing or fitting requirements.

bates1.jpg

Just checked out Ron Ayres "Going the Extra Mile" where he says he wears Redwing 1229s - tall, gore tex, thinsulite and good in hot, cold, and rain. Think I'll check them out this weekend.

I wear Bates and love them. I have the ones which have a zipper up the side so onmce you get the laces adjusted to fit right you can use the zipper to get them on and off easily. Mine are the ones with no metal in them used by LEO. They are as light as many tennis shoes yet pretty strong. I sprayed them with waterproofing so they are good for the rain.

Oxstar Matrix, great on or off the bike. :D

If you want to consider a lugged sole(Vibram,etc.), you will have to be extra careful setting the kickstand. I noticed that some of my other boots "catch on the kickstand "ball" on deployement. You can accidentally fold it back moving your foot off. Fortunately I found this out in a timely manner. :blink:

Jim....I agree with TwoWHeel. The Oxtar Gore-Tex Matrx is a great boot. New Enough (I know you know those guys!) has good prices on them.

I while back...last fall maybe, there was a big discussion on boots on the other site and many folks, to include WC, weighed in heavily infavor on the Oxtar. There was also a great review in MC Consumer News on that model.

Come by tonight after work and take a look/ try mine on if you want. I am thinking of heading to NJ or NC tomorrow and won't be back until early next week.

Dennis

Dennis - I'll try and stop by tonight. Might hit the road with Lorie - we've ridden twice so far this week after work, she's doing great! If I do, I'll bring the AutoCom for you to look at.

I have the SIDI "On Road" boots with about 20,000 miles on them so far. The velcro type fasteners are time consuming to lash up, and two of the tabs have become delaminated requiring "GOOP" glue to put them back together, but they are waterproof and provide moderate protection, less than that of armored boots. Had I to do it over again, I'd probably get SIDI zip up the side boots instead.