Both headlights, at the same time?!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All bulbs are made to last only x number hours of 'burning', ... so since (usually) both headlights are on at the same time, they will burn out quite close in time. You will find that hi-beams last longer.
My 2011 OEM halogens are still alive after 160,000 km. and 12 years. Very unusual, I know - I got long life on my '07 bulbs, but not this long. I rarely use high beams so almost all of my "burning" is on the low beam filaments. (Which is why I made the comment about not knowing why some last much longer than others.) These are getting replaced this year, irrespective of whether one or both fail. Vibration (engine or rough roads) contributes to reduced lifetime.

Halogen behavior has nothing to do with the OP's situation. For the OEM LEDs, the expected lifetime should exceed the life of the bike. I will be most interested in seeing what happens with this.

Pretty common for both headlight low beams to go out about the same time. No matter what bulbs I use, seem to need replacing every 2-3 years.

Looking through this thread, I'm not sure where you stand @keithq. Do you have them working now? If not, have you checked the fuse? There is a separate fuse for the LED lighting control units. The control units are attached to the bottom of the headlight assembly and each has two connectors going into them. Make sure those connectors are snug. The fuse for that circuit is located near the bottom of the main fuse panel next to the battery.
Not yet, working that is. I did make a call to where I have bought Yamahas before over in Dallas. Their service guy told me their trouble shooting fee to 'look it over' was $149.95 and if they then had to remove any plastic, they would need to charge more. Needless to say, that I why I am asking here first for the collected wisdom!

Not too coincidentally, I noticed my driving lights are also getting no power. Those I installed, via a fuse block under the seat. No, I don't think this is related since I didn't get anywhere near the headlights (or so I thought) but who knows. I am also running my LED light bar in the rear, a Garmin and my radar detector off the same fuse block just fine. (Plug here for Eastern Beaver who makes custom wiring harnesses for the FJR.)

So the story continues. I will use the above diagrams. Thanks for the input! More to come...

Not yet, working that is. I did make a call to where I have bought Yamahas before over in Dallas. Their service guy told me their trouble shooting fee to 'look it over' was $149.95 and if they then had to remove any plastic, they would need to charge more. Needless to say, that I why I am asking here first for the collected wisdom!

Not too coincidentally, I noticed my driving lights are also getting no power. Those I installed, via a fuse block under the seat. No, I don't think this is related since I didn't get anywhere near the headlights (or so I thought) but who knows. I am also running my LED light bar in the rear, a Garmin and my radar detector off the same fuse block just fine. (Plug here for Eastern Beaver who makes custom wiring harnesses for the FJR.)

So the story continues. I will use the above diagrams. Thanks for the input! More to come...
First thing I would do is disconnect the accessory fuse block. Then check the stock fuses with a meter if you have not already. Most of the electrical problems I have had on bikes over the years has come from circus wagon lighting (my fjr was the worst). Now I just immediately rip all that stuff out.

Does ‘look it over’ translate into just checking for thrown codes? Maybe there is a forumite in your area that has the gear to assist you with that as a first step?

-Steve

Not too coincidentally, I noticed my driving lights are also getting no power. Those I installed, via a fuse block under the seat.

I use the KISS method of diagnostics ... The last thing I changed is 'probably' related to the problem.

remove the front fairing and check the connections, particularly the fuel pump relay under the headlight. Thats where my same problem lay especially while I was poking around and the engine quit when I touched it. The relay pins were corroded from being in a bad location so I replaced it and dialectric greased every man jack of the plugs while I was in there.....voila

Where did you get the trigger for your fuse block? You might start there...
Need to pull some plastic off to see. But after I bought the 2019, I added the fuse block and lights. Everything worked fine up until just recently so not really sure what the last thing was, except I did add the brake LED tai light bar. That was plugged into the harness the bike uses with a custom connector from the light bar company so nothing was cut or spliced.

Need to pull some plastic off to see. But after I bought the 2019, I added the fuse block and lights. Everything worked fine up until just recently so not really sure what the last thing was, except I did add the brake LED tai light bar. That was plugged into the harness the bike uses with a custom connector from the light bar company so nothing was cut or spliced.
Start by disconnecting the brake light bar if you haven't already done so. Check ALL fuses... (Always suspect whatever you did most recently) I would also disconnect the fuse block and the relay trigger connection - assuming it has switched and unswitched circuits.

@keithq curious minds (like mine) would like to know what you found to be the problem.
For the driving lights, there was a loose white wire that had pulled out of the fuse block. Took a little playing around and had to enlist the help of my wife to watch while I was leaning over the under seat and touching the wire to different locations. Pretty quickly found out it needed power.

Still in the process of pulling plastic off. It is so hot that if I don't work on it early in the morning, it is almost impossible due to the heat in the garage, even with a fan blowing on me!

@keithq Glad you found it and was able to fix the problem - at least partially. Good luck with the other stuff, and hopefully the heat will subside so that you can work on your bike for more than 5 minutes at a time. :)

Yeah, just heard the US weather service heat advisory for north Texas for the next 3 1/2 days. Supposed to be 104 today with an index (feels like) 110+. Woohoo! Let's go ride!

I have not figured it out and am about to just bite the $170 bullet and take it in to be 'diagnosed' at a dealer. :(

Last edited:
Did you use a VOM meter and see if you have 12 volts at the headlight sockets?
I installed the GIVI LED lights in my trunk and one day they stopped working. I checked power to them 11 volts. The Addmore tail light harness was the problem, replaced it they work. My point LED
lights will NOT come on unless 12 volts. I'm sure you knew this, jus thought I would mention it.
Jumper wire from battery to check the headlights? I bet you have done that too just thinking what would I check.

Did you use a VOM meter and see if you have 12 volts at the headlight sockets?
I installed the GIVI LED lights in my trunk and one day they stopped working. I checked power to them 11 volts. The Addmore tail light harness was the problem, replaced it they work. My point LED
lights will NOT come on unless 12 volts. I'm sure you knew this, jus thought I would mention it.
Jumper wire from battery to check the headlights? I bet you have done that too just thinking what would I check.
I did not know that and I too have the Addmore tail light. I can unplug it to see if it does anything but seems odd they tail light could pull voltage from the headlights. We shall see.