Brake caliper help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatNakedGuy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was changing brake pads on the front of my 2004 ABS FJR. The left side pads went in no problem.

The right side pads would not fit (pistons pressed out too far)

I removed the brake assembly from the bike, then used a C clamp and one of the old pads to hold down two of the pistons (not sure if that is the correct term).

Then I attempted to depress the other two pistons on the other side to make room..

It worked for a moment, then one of those pistons came out far and lot of brake fluid started leaked out of it.

so two questions..

1. is that normal for fluid to come out like that, or did i break a seal or something inside?

2. is only that ride side brake affected by the fluid leak, or will I need to bleed the entire system? (not sure how to do that)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
so two questions..

1. is that normal for fluid to come out like that, or did i break a seal or something inside?

2. is only that ride side brake affected by the fluid leak, or will I need to bleed the entire system? (not sure how to do that)

Thanks!
I think you popped one of the pistons out past the seal. No big deal; pop it back in and bleed your brakes (do both left and right for good measure). The FSM explains how to do it; as will a google search.

Yeah, when you squeezed the piston, instead of the fluid going up to the master cylinder, it just went to the other piston and pushed it out. To press the piston in, you have to retain the ones you're not pressing. But since you popped it, you will DEFINITELY have to bleed it once the new pads are in.

bleeding is putting the mitivaccume on the nut by the brakes and opening it a little while pumping and keeping the reservoir filled and watching for air bubbles? doing both sides? do i also work the brake lever?

Last edited by a moderator: