Brake fluid change & ABS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry1

Reaction score
I am getting ready to change brake fluid in my 2006 FJR with ABS. Question is, will normal fluid change also flush out all the fluid in the in the ABS unit? I just brought this cycle out of retirement after I decided I did not like the Concours I bought one year ago.

Thanks Jerry

The simple answer is no, it will not flush out the ABS unit IF you carry out a normal fluid change.

What most people do is carry out a 'normal' fluid change, function the ABS system several times then perform another fluid change.

Thank you for the speedy answer. So can the functioning be done as service manual operation test # 1 or number #2 or both? Or does activation have to take place in actual use of the ABS on the road.

Thanks for the help

Jerry

On the road is the simplest, just hit the rear. Or you can make or find an old jumper tool for the port.

@Jerry - jumper is the easiest way to cycle the ABS unit.

When I'm out on rides, I've gotten in the habit of cycling the ABS when / if I come across a smooth dirt pull-off or road. Couple laps and you can cycle both ends...as always, YMMV

--G

It's easy to make a jumper tool. Search for the thread. I just cycle the old fashioned way.