Brake Pads?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inlaw1

Reaction score
With 65k on my 06 and an upcoming two up 12 day CO, UT, AZ ride, I thought I'd replace the brake pads on my FJR. I priced the Yammies, and OUCH! A bit pricey even with my local dealer discount. The EBC were quite a bit cheaper, and I trust EBC to make a good pad. Just, it is the one for the FJR?

Any thoughts on either pad? Both work the same? What do you use? And is there a preferred pad? Maybe something different than stock for mountain two up semi aggressive riding?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Gary

OEM lasts a really long time and perform really well...I'll be using them when it comes time to replace mine.

Here's an idea that I wish I had done. When you take the pads off, you'll probably find one or two that are much more worn than the others. Just swap positions of those pads with those that aren't as worn and put the really worn ones where the pretty good ones were. When I did mine, at 40,000, there was one pad that was pretty worn down but the rest looked really good. I just changed them all since I already had them in hand but I wished I had saved the money by just swapping them around.

With 65k on my 06 and an upcoming two up 12 day CO, UT, AZ ride, I thought I'd replace the brake pads on my FJR. I priced the Yammies, and OUCH! A bit pricey even with my local dealer discount. The EBC were quite a bit cheaper, and I trust EBC to make a good pad. Just, it is the one for the FJR?

Any thoughts on either pad? Both work the same? What do you use? And is there a preferred pad? Maybe something different than stock for mountain two up semi aggressive riding?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Gary
Ebc works well but be prepared to buy rotors when you need pads again. The stock pads don't kill the rotors

I plan to rotate my ft pads soon, 30k on the clock.

It looks like boats.net has good pricing on the oem pads, that's where I plan to buy when needed

General consensus over many years and dozens of threads has been to stick with [albeit pricy] OEM...

YMMV :)

--G

I replaced the rears with the EBC Sintered H&H pads. I might have done the front too, but now I don't remember. Either way, the bike stops as well as it ever did and my rotors are healthy.

I'll have to vigorously disagree with everyone suggesting Carbonne Lorraine pads. I put them on my FJR when the OEM pads were worn and the CL pads wore out 2.5 times as fast as the OEM ones did and also trashed my front rotors in the process. Both front rotors were below spec for thickness and had a wavy appearance along the surface. There was no difference in how I used brakes or any other factor to explain the difference in wear.

After buying some used rotors off fleabay, I'm back to using OEM pads. Why mess with a good thing?

Not to disagree with everything in this thread, I do think it's a good idea to rotate the front pads for us Gen II owners. The front left caliper (inboard pads I believe) pads wear much quicker than the others, so I plan on rotating when I change front tires.

BTW, the front right caliper rearmost pads are actuated by the rear brake. So depending on your rear brake usage, you might not need to replace those anytime soon.

Don't know anything about Quiche Lorraine brake pads, but I DO like their cheese and spinach pie....

I have had TERRIBLE luck with EBC organics. I like to refer to them as "vaporware" since they dissolve into brake dust in about 5000 miles.

First time this happened, I didn't think that much about it. 2nd time, I went "hmmmmmmmmm."

Third time? Yep there was a third time...no local dealers had OEMs so I settled for another set of EBCs. I purposely avoided the EBC metallics because of reports on this and other moto-forums about horrible disc wear, so stuck with the organics. 5,000 miles...and they're dunfer.

So, yeah, they're a little bit cheaper than OEMs, which should last 50k miles or thereabouts, but swapping 'em out at a rate of 10 to 1 over OEMs??? That's crazy talk!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM. They work well and last well.

...BTW, the front right caliper rearmost pads are actuated by the rear brake. So depending on your rear brake usage, you might not need to replace those anytime soon.
These pics show the difference in wear between the "rear" front pads (lower in the 1st pic) and the "front" front pads.

(Click on image for larger view)

Left pads . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Right pads

My notes at the time:

Date: 16th May 2010, miles: 20432

New pad thickness approx 5.1mm

Changed left hand front brake pads for new.

Old ones measured 2.5mm, 2.7mm, 2.9mm, 2.9mm

Right hand side, "rear" pad thicknesses were 4.6mm and 4.4mm, "front" were 2.2mm and 1.9mm

Put old "rear" as "front", used best of the left hand side for "rear".

In retrospect they could have lasted many more miles, but I was a bit paranoid before a longish trip.

Note that the 3 "front" pairs have worn fairly evenly. If yours have not you probably have a sticky piston or something that should be sorted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the rears with the EBC Sintered H&H pads. I might have done the front too, but now I don't remember. Either way, the bike stops as well as it ever did and my rotors are healthy.
...I have had TERRIBLE luck with EBC organics. I like to refer to them as "vaporware" since they dissolve into brake dust in about 5000 miles...OEMs, which should last 50k miles or thereabouts...
'Zilla, you will know the pads are toast when your wheels stop continuously turning black from brake dust.

I have also had very poor mileage with the EBC pads. Last fall I ended up putting on EBC pads which I hope will be for the last time. The only thing I hate as much as the short life is the copious amount of sticky brake dust.

I just replaced the original pads on my 08 after 36,000+ miles. I was surprised to see that they had a good bit of pad left on em, but they were off so I replaced them. The EBC sintered HH pads didn't feel right from the get- go: they were noisy and had a grinding feel to them. I've got 1500 miles on them now and they've stopped squealing but I wish I would have coughed up for the OEM pads. I might still...

Jim in BR

I just replaced the original pads on my 08 after 36,000+ miles. I was surprised to see that they had a good bit of pad left on em, but they were off so I replaced them. The EBC sintered HH pads didn't feel right from the get- go: they were noisy and had a grinding feel to them. I've got 1500 miles on them now and they've stopped squealing but I wish I would have coughed up for the OEM pads. I might still...

Jim in BR
Nah...don't rush things. They'll be gone, anyway, in another 3k miles. :assassin: :assassin: :assassin:

I'll have to vigorously disagree with everyone suggesting Carbonne Lorraine pads. I put them on my FJR when the OEM pads were worn and the CL pads wore out 2.5 times as fast as the OEM ones did and also trashed my front rotors in the process. Both front rotors were below spec for thickness and had a wavy appearance along the surface. There was no difference in how I used brakes or any other factor to explain the difference in wear.

After buying some used rotors off fleabay, I'm back to using OEM pads. Why mess with a good thing?

Not to disagree with everything in this thread, I do think it's a good idea to rotate the front pads for us Gen II owners. The front left caliper (inboard pads I believe) pads wear much quicker than the others, so I plan on rotating when I change front tires.

BTW, the front right caliper rearmost pads are actuated by the rear brake. So depending on your rear brake usage, you might not need to replace those anytime soon.
Plus 1 on all the above. I had to replace front rotors after going through a set of CL pads. OEM pads for me from here on.