Brand new 2009AE tranny "clunking" when cold-ish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the bike home a little while ago - had the pleasure of riding from CT to the Berkshires watching the ambient air temp drop from 43 to 32 degrees; snow flakes coming down for about 30 minutes of the ride on the MA Pike. :cold:

I test rode starting and stopping a number of times and had no issue whatsoever with the clutch grabbing like before. The dealer said they bled air out of the hydraulic clutch system. Seems perfect now. Not a sign of what it was doing before. I plan to test again a couple more times this week, but it seems like that did the trick. Have the dealer you said you were taking it back to bleed the hydraulic clutch system and you should be good to go? Hope it works for you; hope mine stays "fixed".

Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the bike home a little while ago - had the pleasure of riding from CT to the Berkshires watching the ambient air temp drop from 43 to 32 degrees; snow flakes coming down for about 30 minutes of the ride on the MA Pike. :cold:

I test rode starting and stopping a number of times and had no issue whatsoever with the clutch grabbing like before. The dealer said they bled air out of the hydraulic clutch system. Seems perfect now. Not a sign of what it was doing before. I plan to test again a couple more times this week, but it seems like that did the trick. Have the dealer you said you were taking it back to bleed the hydraulic clutch system and you should be good to go? Hope it works for you; hope mine stays "fixed".

Allen
Thats good to hear!

I was supposed to take it back in this morning, but due to some scheduling SNAFU's, cant take it in until Tues AM.

I'll be curious to see if your fix is permanent. My clutch soak fixed my issue for like 30 hours.

Talked to the shop a bit ago. They test rode it and sure enough its like it was before. They ended up calling Yamaha, and they recommended doing the clutch soak for 24-36 hours as opposed to the 6 they did before. So, a longer soak it is. After that, if it doesnt improve, theyre talking about replacing the clutch per Yamama.

Did you mention that my bike had the exact problem and bleeding the hydraulics fixed it? Did they try that yet? Or did they bleed them after the first clutch soak? Just curious... why replace the whole clutch if bleeding fixes it? ( +1 on the good service )

Did you mention that my bike had the exact problem and bleeding the hydraulics fixed it? Did they try that yet? Or did they bleed them after the first clutch soak? Just curious... why replace the whole clutch if bleeding fixes it? ( +1 on the good service )
Yes I did mention it when I dropped it off. When I talked to them yesterday, he said they ran some hydraulic pressure check or something and it was normal. :idk:

As far as the service, I agree. But this is the 2nd bike Ive bought with them, and have kind of a rapport with them I guess. Theyre a great dealership for sure.

Well, dealership called me back...after a 27 hour soak they put everything back together, and although the problem was better, it still wasnt "as smooth as Yamaha wants it to be" to quote the service manager. So, theyre ordering new cluth plates.