Brand new 2009AE tranny "clunking" when cold-ish

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had an issue with my AE

Sure you're not describing this?

Clunky 1

Clunky 2

Positive. It is clutch jerking/grabbing, not engine. I have heard what is being referred to in those posts. This is not that. I am thinking of recording it on video if it is not fixed when I get the bike back. Maybe I can have one of the kids take a video while I ride it in the driveway. It is very noticeable.

ahamlin01: Thats a great thread. Although when I got the bike and the tech did a "walk around" with me and showed me the oil level glass window, and noticed it was at the top, I now wonder if its at the top of the indicator of full, or top of the glass. I'll double check on my lunch today. When you say after 6-8 months the clunk hasnt gone away...when you take off is it one clunk or several like mine is doing? And is yours loud enough that anyone standing nearby would hear? Cuz mine is.
It clunks several times - like 5 or 6 - and it is very noticeable/loud enough for anyone nearby to hear. It will continue to clunk when starting off in first until I have gone several miles. So if there are 5 stop signs within the first couple minutes... it'll clunk at each one, but less each time. Seems like after maybe 2-5 minutes of riding it is gone.
Yep thats my problem exactly.

...when youre freeway driving for example, oil is being spun onto the clutch while driving correct? So that would effectively be "soaking" the clutch while youre driving? Theres no denying other's results in doing the soak...theres too many that have had positive results. But Im just thinking about the mechanics of it. Whats the difference between soaking the clutch IN the bike vs OUT of the bike in a pan or ziplock baggie?
The clutch doesn't get any significant amount of oil on it. It isn't bathed in oil, I'm pretty sure it relies on a bit of splashing and mist. When I did my soak there was only a little oily wetness in the housing.

This was taken immediately after the case was removed. Virtually no oil leaked out.

(Click on image for larger view)

Ok, the bike was leaned over the other side onto its side-stand, but I don't believe even the bottom edge sits in liquid oil. There was just a smear on the exhaust at the end of the job.

[edit] Just roughly measured the heights of the site glass and the clutch housing. With the bike on the centre-stand, the bottom of the housing is two or three inches above the top of the site glass, and the clutch plates are another inch above that.[/edit]

As for the multiple clunks, I tried to explain that in my post above. I believe the clutch is engaging and disengaging rapidly and repeatedly with a clutch that is sticking. You shouldn't be surprised that it makes nasty mechanical noises.

Yours sounds bad enough to be one of the ones that have congealed grease (or something) on the metal plates. This will need cleaning off as well as the friction plates being oiled.

Just a final thought, I'm sure you know this, check the oil level on the centre stand ten minutes or so after running the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well just talked to the dealership...they said the clunking and surging/jerkiness of the tranny is the worst theyve seen. Theyve got the plates soaking now and had to clean em up a bit. We'll see if it fixes it. His comment was funny..."Hopefully we dont have to replace the entire clutch assembly...but we'll do whatever we have to to get it running right for you" hehe...nice thing is, Ive known the shop mgr for a couple of years, as I bought my last bike here and had it serviced with them so have a good rapport with them.

I'll update when I know more.

If they "had to clean them up a bit" that's indicative of a poor clutch surface and rough engagement, I think.

It might also be shop talk to impress the gullible customer. :)

If they "had to clean them up a bit" that's indicative of a poor clutch surface and rough engagement, I think.

It might also be shop talk to impress the gullible customer. :)
That may be, but like I said Ive known the shop mgr for a bit so have some trust in what he says (or maybe the illusion of trust *shrug*)

Anyway he called me a few minutes ago...bike is ready. He said after a 6 hour soak it runs smooth now. So I'll pick it up in a bit and we'll see :)

Picked up the bike a few hours ago. So far all seems good. Starting cold clutch is smooth. They said their test was smooth also. I'll take it out tomorrorow and test again but so far it seems like the clutch soak fixed it! woohoo!

Picked up the bike a few hours ago. So far all seems good. Starting cold clutch is smooth. They said their test was smooth also. I'll take it out tomorrorow and test again but so far it seems like the clutch soak fixed it! woohoo!
Sounds good. Now you can really start to enjoy!

Dealer called me yesterday on mine. Mechanic definitely felt the problem, they did a bleed of the hydraulics? Said it involved removing the rear wheel, etc... They are charging me for it, said it is not under warranty (I bought it in May, I have the 4 year YES, and it has only 4k miles on it. He said he spoke to Yamaha and they were very resistant to allowing it as a warranty item even though it has been doing it since I got it - so we'll see). The mechanic is going to road test it a couple times in the a.m. when cold and see if the bleed got all the air out and fixed the issue. We'll see. I am thinking it is not going to be too much better and I will have to go the way of the clutch soak when it is returned.

Dealer called me yesterday on mine. Mechanic definitely felt the problem, they did a bleed of the hydraulics? Said it involved removing the rear wheel, etc... They are charging me for it, said it is not under warranty (I bought it in May, I have the 4 year YES, and it has only 4k miles on it. He said he spoke to Yamaha and they were very resistant to allowing it as a warranty item even though it has been doing it since I got it - so we'll see). The mechanic is going to road test it a couple times in the a.m. when cold and see if the bleed got all the air out and fixed the issue. We'll see. I am thinking it is not going to be too much better and I will have to go the way of the clutch soak when it is returned.
They didnt mention a hydraulic bleed...but...if you got your bike last May, and got YES, thats BS they wont cover it....it should be covered...

I agree. First priority is having it fixed. Then I will have to deal with the warranty part. More battles... :angry:

I wonder why they felt it necessary to remove the rear wheel to bleed the hydraulics. Hope they don't charge you for more than 20 minutes of shop time because that's all it takes - including coffee break.

Ross

I am almost wondering if it is the "dry clutch" all the 2nd gens seem to have. I know my A model shifted like crap for the first few shifts until the clutch got coated in fluid.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think there were any dry clutches on theses things. And if they are why would you soak them in oil? Are we talking a dry clutch like in a Ducati?

GP

I wonder why they felt it necessary to remove the rear wheel to bleed the hydraulics. Hope they don't charge you for more than 20 minutes of shop time because that's all it takes - including coffee break.

Ross
The AE has hydraulic components across the rear subframe, above the back of the transmission

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I didn't think there were any dry clutches on theses things. And if they are why would you soak them in oil? Are we talking a dry clutch like in a Ducati?

GP
By "dry clutch" they are referring to the well-known "sticky clutch" problem casued by, literally, dry clutch plates. The plates are supposed to be soaked for several hours before assembly to properly condition them, and if that step is short-cut, the clutch doesn't work right, plates stick to each other when they should release, causing the bike to lurch when you start it, or rough shifting.

Yes, the clutch is a wet clutch, but it isn't exactly sitting in a pool of oil. It gets a spray of oil, which is not enough to treat plates that were not properly treated before being assembled.

As an update...the issue was fine for about 24 hours, but alas has returned. Every morning for the last 4 or 5 days has been just like before, as well as starting when I go home from work.

Back to the dealer Saturday at 8am.

I have not picked up mine up - but the dealer called and said the road test was fine with whatever hydraulic bleed thing they did. I will update you when I have it back if it is "really" fixed and how long it stays that way. I will find out exactly what they did, and can pass that along to you. Looks like my day to get it is Sunday.

I have not picked up mine up - but the dealer called and said the road test was fine with whatever hydraulic bleed thing they did. I will update you when I have it back if it is "really" fixed and how long it stays that way. I will find out exactly what they did, and can pass that along to you. Looks like my day to get it is Sunday.
Thanks