Bridge in Florida

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
What is the name of the big bridge in Florida and where is it located. I heard some of the 2005 Iron Butt folks talking about it. I believe that there was a Yellow VFR, an FJR and the 1200 sportster did it during the night. That's all the info that I have.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth the ride from Orlando ?

yes, well done... small toll to cross... beautiful at night...

north approach goes thru some congested communities, but you get there via other bridges...

done during daylight hrs, can see nice bits of old florida via back roads to/from bradenton...

while there, might as well go west thru bradenton to ana maria island, very old florida with some great seafood eats...

dana

Found it - Sunshine Skyway Bridge, St. Petersburg and Bradenton. Worth the ride from Orlando ?

Canadian FJR
sunshineskyway1_bridge_1.jpg

Absolutely worth the ride...but not necessarily for the bridge.

You can't stop on the bridge for sightseeing Tampa Bay and the security walls are too high to see over...plus you wouldn't want to slow down to TRY to see anything, 'cause the cages will run you down.

The best bet is three-fold:

(1) Come to the bridge from the SOUTH end so you're traveling north. Be sure to stop at one of the scenic overlooks BEFORE you get on the bridge.

(2) Get your ass on and over that beast and stop again on the north end at the Blackthorn Memorial and say a few silent words to whatever you believe in for those 23 Coast Guardsmen who lost their lives there in 1980.

(3) Not far from the bridge, travelling NORTH on I-275, keep an eye open for 38th Avenue North. Go west on 38th Ave. about 3 miles, then go north on 49th Street about 1 block and you'll be right HERE.

One of the last, if not THE, Biff Burger restaurants in the U.S. Lottsa bikes go there...all styles...so you wouldn't feel out of place. VERY retro. You'll be reminded how a fast food burger tasted before the corporations took over.

Take I-4 west to I-75, then south to I-275 North/Terra Ciea exit. Bring cash for the bridge toll.

Have fun.

edit & addendum: When are you thinking of going over? I missed last week's ride to Ponce Inlet because of the weather and unfortunately, this weekend's weather is forecast to be just as suck. :(