Bridges of FJR County

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this count? I mean, it's a bridge right? And we were on the Feej

Bryce04.jpg

New bridge over Marble Canyon, AZ (Colorado River)

P6300047.jpg

The view from same

P6300044.jpg

The Hite crossing Bridge over Colorado River in Utah on Hwy 95.

P1010136.jpg

P1010138.jpg

P1010156.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1467.jpg

Another view of the Cataract Canyon Bridge over Lake Powell

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

IMG_6748.jpg

Thats a pie smuggler in this shot, up in ID before hitting about 40 miles of dirt road.

IMG_0423-1.jpg

New River Gorge Bridge in West Virgina

2501785880094472708S600x600Q85.jpg
Any pictures of you bungie jumping off this sucker??
On Bridge Day, they permit BASE jumping (parachuting) and repelling..but no bungie jumping off the bridge apparently. Bridge Day is the third Saturday in October. They shut the bridge down to vehicle traffic and let the jumpers have at it for awhile.

Willie

New River Gorge bridge is quite spectacular. Saw it at EOM '08 and then on a return trip on a family vacation ride the following summer. When I saw this thread start up, that was the bridge I immediately thought of. Another shot of it from the little bridge underneath:

2569483590098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

Bridge over the Tennessee river, from NAFO '10 in Knoxville:

100_1663.jpg

...and another interesting view of the same bridge

100_1675.jpg

But for bridges around these parts, we tend to seek out the smaller, antique wooden variety. Like these:

100_1700.jpg

100_1702.jpg

100_2993.jpg

TellurideFJR, that bridge in Idaho [Dent Bridge] is one of my favorites.

Built in conjunction with the Dworshak Dam by the Army Corps of Engineers during the early 1970s, this bridge provides local access over the flooded river, now Dworshak Reservoir. Without the bridge, vehicle access from Ahsahka to the small community of Elk River would be blocked off. The US Army Corps of Engineers carefully weighed the possibilities for getting traffic to Elk River from the Orofino side of the Clearwater River. Building a new road all the way around the 53-mile (85 km) long reservoir would not only be expensive, cutting into miles and miles of extremely rocky terrain, but would also be a painful inconvenience for travelers. The only reasonable answer was a bridge somewhere in the middle of the future reservoir. The exact location was based on the topography most suitable for road access as well as for the bridge construction itself.

The 1,550-foot (470 m) long suspension bridge is an attractive wonder, both in size and in appearance. The Dent Bridge was named for Charles and Katherine Dent, who homesteaded the land on the west end of the bridge in 1895.

The look on the face of the Harley Guys :blink: when we came riding into Elk Ricer from the dirt road was almost as cool as the bride.

But for bridges around these parts, we tend to seek out the smaller, antique wooden variety. Like these:

100_1700.jpg

100_1702.jpg

100_2993.jpg
The grand daddy of all NE Covered Bridges
2281594340094472708S600x600Q85.jpg

Not necessarily so small, but not a big as the gorge bridges for sure.

The Cornish–Windsor Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Connecticut River between Cornish, New Hampshire and Windsor, Vermont. It was the longest covered bridge still standing in the United States until the Smolen–Gulf Bridge opened in Ohio in 2008

100_1700.jpg

100_1702.jpg

100_2993.jpg
The grand daddy of all NE Covered Bridges
2281594340094472708S600x600Q85.jpg

Not necessarily so small, but not a big as the gorge bridges for sure.

The Cornish–Windsor Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans the Connecticut River between Cornish, New Hampshire and Windsor, Vermont. It was the longest covered bridge still standing in the United States until the Smolen–Gulf Bridge opened in Ohio in 2008

What's the historical significance/reason or the science behind covering a bridge? It's obviously a lot more expensive than just a usual span and, in most cases, doesn't appear to provide any structural support (like arches do in a lot of Western bridges). A lot of these bridges, at least in the East, were built before cars were popular.

A place to park my horse and buggy until it stops raining?

What's the historical significance/reason or the science behind covering a bridge? It's obviously a lot more expensive than just a usual span and, in most cases, doesn't appear to provide any structural support (like arches do in a lot of Western bridges). A lot of these bridges, at least in the East, were built before cars were popular.

A place to park my horse and buggy until it stops raining?
Per wikipedia

Early bridges were often made of wood, especially where it was a plentiful resource. Wooden bridges tended to deteriorate rapidly from exposure to the elements, having a useful lifespan of only nine years. Covering them protected their structural members, thus extending their life to 80 years or more.

Here are a few bridges that my FJR has led me to......

Little Rock Arkansas with VASTEVE

DSCF1595.jpg

DSCF1594.jpg

A moving bridge.....(barge)...somewhere in Arkansas on the same trip

DSCF1564.jpg

DSCF1568.jpg

DSCF1566.jpg

Swinging bridge at Grandfather Mountain

100_4433.jpg

100_4431.jpg

Covered Bridge 30 minutes from my house. (sorry it's got my old cruiser in the picture)

This one is called Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge and it's one of at least 15 covered wood bridges in Georgia. I've actually been thinking of maping out a bike route on my Garmin and visiting & photographing all 15 bridges. I will probably plan on doing this next Spring in Late April.

Georgia Covered Bridge Map (My pic is of bridge #1 on the map): https://www.n-georgia.com/bridgesmap.htm

IMG_2751.jpg

This one is called Auchumpkee Creek Covered Bridge and it's one of at least 15 covered wood bridges in Georgia. I've actually been thinking of maping out a bike route on my Garmin and visiting & photographing all 15 bridges. I will probably plan on doing this next Spring in Late April.
Do it! :clapping:

That's what got this entire thread started....I was thinking of all the bridges in my local area that crossed the American River and set out to photo them on a day ride.

It's a waay kewel themed ride and no time restraints! :yahoo:

Those bridges are of poor quality in comparison to the highly engineered beauties we have in these parts...
I have some experience with the wooden bridges of B.C.

My opinion is not printable on this forum.
Hey madmike, what's wrong with B.C. bridges? Look at this marvel of engineering - just west of Golden B.C. circa 2011.

Supports a fast moving FJR with no issues whatsoever. Now, those wood jobs in Ontario. . .

P5300054.JPG

Same as seen before--I went over in April this year..

2011_0502SouthUTSpring20110669.jpg

Somewhere in BC--that's a semi going across..

DSC02785.jpg