• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Brodies ignition relay harness (Indiana)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer

Reaction score
I installed Brodies relay harness a couple years ago on my 04 just in case. For sale, $40 dollars shipped in CONUS.

I installed Brodies relay harness a couple years ago on my 04 just in case. For sale, $40 dollars shipped in CONUS.
If I recall correctly, this will also work on a GEN II. I think I had a conversation with Brodie about relay and it was for a GENII and he said he thought it would work on a GEN I, which it does.

Brodie, maybe you can chime in on this. Thanks, Racer

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the harness supposed to do?
It removes the high voltage transmitted through the ignition switch to run the electrical system. The only voltage through the ignition switch after installation is a small current used to actuate the relay which handles the higher voltages. Some ignition switches over time will corrode causing an electrical resistance which heats up the switch. The contacts in switch are encapsulated in a plastic disc which can deform over time causing the switch to fail.

As I recall, Yamaha, did a recall and replaced switches on certain year FJR's. In the mean time, fellow forum member, Brodie developed the relay harness to fix the problem. Check the many "Ignition problem" threads in Technical Problems sections of the forum.

I think that is an accurate description of what the relay harness does. Others, feel free to correct me if needed. Racer

Last edited by a moderator:
A bump for this harness and a new lower price of 30 dollars shipped to CONUS. Don't take a chance on frying your ignition switch.

$25 shipped and I'll take it for that future project I'll probably never get to!
Which '04 will you put it on?
The LD one. That is if I ever get to the point of making one an 'LD FJR'. Oh, and then if I ever do have that 'LD FJR' I will mount this harness IF I ever get to the project of swapping over to a Gen II stator and R/R. With the additional watts and current of the Gen II electrical pieces I would add the harness to protect the switch.

So...... it will probably never happen. :)