Bug stains?! Surely, this can’t be.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

effjayare

Reaction score
So not wanting to torture the beautiful finish on the ’07 I recently purchased, I avoided pressure/car washes on a 5 day trip, even though there was (as expected) a wealth of bug juice all over the front of the bike. Unfortunately, after a gentle wash in the driveway (the evening I arrived home) there appears to be bug-splat stains in the paint. I’ve tried wax, and then tried wax w/polish, and then 3M wax remover, and more wax and plenty of elbow grease. Nothing so far has really helped. When the bike is in the right light, such as garage lighting, it looks like it’s covered with bug splat. I've owned many other bikes and never had this happen before.

Has anyone else experienced this- if so, can anything be done, and is the paint really that delicate???

Help!!

So not wanting to torture the beautiful finish on the ’07 I recently purchased, I avoided pressure/car washes on a 5 day trip, even though there was (as expected) a wealth of bug juice all over the front of the bike. Unfortunately, after a gentle wash in the driveway (the evening I arrived home) there appears to be bug-splat stains in the paint. I’ve tried wax, and then tried wax w/polish, and then 3M wax remover, and more wax and plenty of elbow grease. Nothing so far has really helped. When the bike is in the right light, such as garage lighting, it looks like it’s covered with bug splat. I've owned many other bikes and never had this happen before.Has anyone else experienced this- if so, can anything be done, and is the paint really that delicate???

Help!!
I think I have the same thing. The 3-D stuff came off but a sort of faint ghost splat image remains. I haven't been too concerned about it because I doubt if anyone really will notice other then me. I also haven't tried anything other than the usual drive way wash and wipe dry with micro fiber cloth.

Mine is an '08/black.

Sorry I am not helping much other than in the misery enjoys company department. :rolleyes:

An unnamed expert once told me that some bugs are highly acidic and will eat your paint if left on too long.

He had the same problem on his Gold Wing.

An unnamed expert once told me that some bugs are highly acidic and will eat your paint if left on too long.He had the same problem on his Gold Wing.
Yes, but, but, but.. she was waxed and beautiful when I left- it was only 5 days, and I lovingly cleaned her up as soon as I got home. The paint HAS to be better than that. Like I said, lots of bikes, lots of miles, even way more dirty days on the road, and I've never had this happen.

The clay bar kits by Mothers and Meguiars are great at getting most everything off your paint. Of course they won't fill in holes. I'm a big believer in Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 but maybe you came across some special bugs.

My '08 black has had the same problem.

I only noticed it on the front fairing, between the headlights and the windshield.

I ended up using cleaner wax and polish and a helluva lot of rubbing to get them all out.

For my next long trip, I won't be letting the little guys sit there like I did last time. I'd rather apply a soaking towel at days end to get the worst of it off.

Good luck,

John

The clay bar kits by Mothers and Meguiars are great at getting most everything off your paint. Of course they won't fill in holes. I'm a big believer in Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 but maybe you came across some special bugs.
Thanks, I'll read up on the clay bar kits.. not familiar with that. However, I am a long-time Meguire's fan- haven't tried Wax 2.0 tho.

I've had to use mothers clay bar on the bike quite a few time, it's the only thing that works. Make sure you use a lot of the lubricant. It comes in the spray bottle. I have to clay the surface of the chicks car all the time because she parks too close to the sprinkler.

It takes a lot of time to get it just right, but if not for the love for thte FJR it won't get done.

You'll really be impressed when your done. It takes about three hours to do the wifes car, so doing the FJR it's much easier.

Good luck.

My '08 black has had the same problem.
I only noticed it on the front fairing, between the headlights and the windshield.

I ended up using cleaner wax and polish and a helluva lot of rubbing to get them all out....
Exactly! Sounds the same. Well, at least you've given me a glimmer of hope. I'm willing to invest the elbow grease, if it'll help. And, I too, will not let the little stinkers eat away at the finish any longer than I have to in the future.

A tip I picked up an RV forum for cleaning bugs off trailers.

Dryer sheets. You know, those little sheets you throw in the dryer to prevent static cling. Soak a couple in warm water, use them on the bugs, gently, and presto! No more bugs.

Sounds stupid but it works for me.

"Love Bugs" are well-known to cause paitn damage in many southern states. It's not that the paint is that bad, it's that the bugs are. It happens on all brands of cars and bikes when you get splatted by those kinds of bugs.

Have you checked out Rejex? It's a preventative not a repairing product. Use it before you get damage (or after any existing damage is fixed).

https://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

I like it. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it just shows that you actually RIDE your bike. Bug splats = "OK" in my book.

Unfortunately, they don't mean that in my girlfriend's book. But I delay her as long as I can before I wash the bike.

Alexi

"Love Bugs" are well-known to cause paitn damage in many southern states. It's not that the paint is that bad, it's that the bugs are. It happens on all brands of cars and bikes when you get splatted by those kinds of bugs.
Have you checked out Rejex? It's a preventative not a repairing product. Use it before you get damage (or after any existing damage is fixed).

https://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

I like it. YMMV.
Quit postin' and get back to paintin'. Some of us wanna see the finished product!

FJR paint is notoriously soft and bugs are very acidic and black shows everything. It's best to get them off asap if it bothers you. Of course some folks around here may question your sexual orientation if you wash your bike more than once a year! :rolleyes:

FJR paint is notoriously soft and bugs are very acidic and black shows everything. It's best to get them off asap if it bothers you. Of course some folks around here may question your sexual orientation if you wash your bike more than once a year! :rolleyes:
Oh Crap! There has been times when I've washed my bike twice in one day!! I like girls, Well, at least I thought I did! :unsure:

I've had to use mothers clay bar on the bike quite a few time, it's the only thing that works. Make sure you use a lot of the lubricant. It comes in the spray bottle. I have to clay the surface of the chicks car all the time because she parks too close to the sprinkler.
It takes a lot of time to get it just right, but if not for the love for thte FJR it won't get done.

You'll really be impressed when your done. It takes about three hours to do the wifes car, so doing the FJR it's much easier.

Good luck.
What were we talking about??

Sorry, I was distracted by your avatar :rolleyes:

LOL @ Joe.

A paint cleaner may be helpful. I like Meguiar's Step 1.

New paints all seem to be soft, especially Japanese paint.. I think it's the new water based or low VOC paints

I grew up in Florida, Bug Capital of the World. We had love bugs coming out in both spring and fall, and if you didn't clean them off somewhat more often than weekly you were guaranteed to see them eating holes in your paint. But that was extreme.

What you are describing points to poor quality paint. Another poster said FJR paint is notoriously soft - sounds like he may be right. I know if I had an automobile that was bug etched within five days, I'd be at the dealer asking for some warranty work.