Bug stains?! Surely, this can’t be.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water. Even strait hydrogen peroxide if you want. Foaming bugs galore and then a nice rinse and they are off. Several riders I know that worry about this stuff carry a half size spray bottle with the mix in it for trips. Get to the hotel, spray the windscreen and front of the bike, unpack the bike, go ask for some rags from the front desk, rinse off the bike with water and wipe down. Easy.

I wash my FJR once a year, whether it needs it or not.

mmmmmmmmm......bacon grease........

drooling_homer-712749.gif.png

50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water. Even strait hydrogen peroxide if you want. Foaming bugs galore and then a nice rinse and they are off. Several riders I know that worry about this stuff carry a half size spray bottle with the mix in it for trips. Get to the hotel, spray the windscreen and front of the bike, unpack the bike, go ask for some rags from the front desk, rinse off the bike with water and wipe down. Easy.
I wash my FJR once a year, whether it needs it or not.
+ 1 on the peroxide in a bottle. But it does go bad/lose it's potency as it sits around. Cool as shit to watch the bugs just foam up and deteriorate. It breaks down their proteins or something.

So I haven't tried the bacon grease yet, and it's probably too late for the peroxide, but I did invest in the Meguair's Clay Kit. Unfortunately, it didn't do nuttin. :( Ok, that may not be entirely true... it did make it incredibly, incredibly, smooth. But the stinkin' bug ghosts (I like that description- thanks for that one) are still there- mirror-to-mirror, from the windshield to down over the nose. So much for that experiment.

Getting desperate here… what type of bacon is the best? Thick sliced? Thin sliced? Hickory smoked? Or maybe some of that precooked stuff (ahh, maybe that’s what it would be good for- it sure isn’t fit to eat)?

This is driving me...

wait,

wait,

wait,

you got it.... BUGGY! :rolleyes:

Didn't work? OK, I got it! 50/50 bacon grease and Haitian Hank's Voodoo Chicken. Like this. Light three smudge pots and place around bike. Dip the HHVC in the bacon grease and smear it all over the front of your bike. Hold a smudge pot up and blow on it so the smoke mixes well with the grease. Rinse it off with warm New Orleans Gumbo and watch it shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a side note, in Florida in love bug season, if I know I'm going on a long ride/drive, a light mist of PAM cooking spray makes cleanup easier. And if you use the butter flaver, your bike will be delicious AND easy to clean.

On a side note, in Florida in love bug season, if I know I'm going on a long ride/drive, a light mist of PAM cooking spray makes cleanup easier. And if you use the butter flaver, your bike will be delicious AND easy to clean.

If you ever ride in florida during love bug season your are correct, using PAM cooking spray has been my favoite thing to use. Also I cut up an old bath towel in small six inch by six inch peices and put them in a zip lock bag with water to keep them wet. Put in in my tank bag then whipe the front end off at each gas fill up then spray the PAM on again. Works for me, no bug stains on my 08 yet.

What the hell's all this talk about washin' bikes?

Hell - I still got road spray and bugs from Maine on my FJR. Haven't been there in 2 1/2 months. They'll still be there for EOM next month.

This place is goin' to hell in a hand basket.

Go out 'n get drunk or sumthin'...

All I know is that I'm sadly dissappointed in Yamaha's paint, if it has to be babied so much. I expect more from any quality automotive/motorcycle paint. I've never seen such a thing. :angry:

I was talking with a co worker yesterday about them bug issues and he said he sprays Pam all over the front of his RV. Then they come right off when it's time to wash it. Not something I would do on my bike but them RV'ers think of everything lol.

Edit : Didn't get to see the posts above about using PAM on bikes. I'm glad it works. I think we should just shrink wrap the bikes and peel them every once in a while. :rolleyes:

Pick up the Clay bar kit from Mothers, available at most Wally Marts. Don't bother with the detail spray/lube that comes with it. Just use soap and water and while your washing, use the clay bar. You'll be left with a baby's ass smooth finish when your done. Put a coat of wax on to shine and protect the finish. Easy, should talk you no more then 30 min. to complete. Same process for your car, clay while you wash. 3 hrs to clay bar a car?? Thats just insane.

+1 on the Pam as a preventive. Ever lasting gratitude to the U of F for unleashing the love bugs on us.

All I know is that I'm sadly dissappointed in Yamaha's paint, if it has to be babied so much. I expect more from any quality automotive/motorcycle paint. I've never seen such a thing. :angry:
Sorry about your stain problem. The only thing I can think of after the damage is done that might help is Meguirs swirl remover. Probably not though.

As to your disappointment, you will find the same thing with most current paints w/o clear coat. The low VOC paints that are currently being used suck for hardness and durability. OEMs are pushed into these due to mandated reductions in evaporative emissions, mainly from solvents and paints.

Obviously there are people on this forum like you that diligently wash and wax their bikes, but the other side are the riders that would rather ride than clean. (I'm one of those) Sure, I wash the bike now and then, but it's a tool for me to use, not something pretty to be looked at. Play with your toys.

While I have NOTHING to add AFTER the fact, what I do when I travel is I carry one of the collapsible pet bowls in my top case. After I check into a motel, I take it out and the BEST white towels I can find at the motel and I wash all the SHIT off!

The only time this plan doesn't work is when the fore mentioned LOVE bugs are out.... when they are out, one has to clean them off every 30 minutes or one won't be able to see (they come out in the tens of BILLIONS per square foot)!

Best Regards,

Shane

Never had a problem and mine has been all over. I guess they used better paint in 03. That right mine is silver does not show as much.