buying high mileage FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

Reaction score
I went and looked at a 2003 FJR with 185k miles. It looked really good, started up from cold instantly, doesn't smoke, no fluid leaks. It has some minor scratches on the fairing where it looks like it fell over at one point. Zero farkles, so I'll need to at least add auxillary lights and heated grips, but other than that it looks decent.

I didn't get to ride it because the weather is really crummy right now, so I don't have a good feel for how worn out it feels, but...

What do I need to look out for?

What about pricing? kbb says 5k, initial asking price (it's at a dealer) is $3600. I'm thinking more like $2500 because of the miles.

Although it has good brakes and tires, so presumably I could just start riding it without doing a refurb work.

Thoughts?

FJRs are awesome. But I think that one is spent.

KBB doesn't know (or care) how many miles have been racked up on the thing. You need to adjust for miles. With that many miles, your adjustment would bring the price close to zero.

I guess what I'm saying is that I might take it for free. Otherwise, save your money and look elsewhere. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't be afraid of the miles if you can get it at a good price. It would be nice if there was any service history but if not I would do fresh fluids and ride the shit out of it.

FJRs are awesome. But I think that one is spent.

KBB doesn't know (or care) how many miles have been racked up on the thing. You need to adjust for miles. With that many miles, your adjustment would bring the price close to zero.

I guess what I'm saying is that I might take it for free. Otherwise, save your money and look elsewhere. Just my opinion.
I agree it's pretty well spent, that's why I would want it for cheap. I definitely am not going to get it for free.... :)

They guy who owned it before apparently took pretty decent care of it considering he racked up 20k+ miles/year. I only do about 10k/year.

I wouldn't be afraid of the miles if you can get it at a good price. It would be nice if there was any service history but if not I would do fresh fluids and ride the shit out of it.
I figure $2500 is pretty reasonable if I get 3 or 4 years of service out of it I would be happy. At that point, I would probably part it out instead of trying to sell it with such high miles. I'm hoping the dealer accepts my offer, because how many idiots are going to buy a 180k miles bike at any price.

I do have some incentive to keep it running considering the highest mileage FJR I see on the high mileage list is 226k and maybe this one could get past that...

Yahbut, you and I can work on these things. The average guy is looking at a frame and wheels to throw his money at.

I figure $2500 is pretty reasonable if I get 3 or 4 years of service out of it I would be happy. At that point, I would probably part it out instead of trying to sell it with such high miles. I'm hoping the dealer accepts my offer, because how many idiots are going to buy a 180k miles bike at any price.

I do have some incentive to keep it running considering the highest mileage FJR I see on the high mileage list is 226k and maybe this one could get past that...
I wouldn't think that 3 or 4 years would be a safe bet with nary a problem, with that kind of miles.

And the mileage chest puffery only happens if YOU put the miles on. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yahbut, you and I can work on these things. The average guy is looking at a frame and wheels to throw his money at.

I'm not afraid of working on it, but if it needs much engine work, it's just not worth it...

I wouldn't think that 3 or 4 years would be a safe bet with nary a problem, with that kind of miles.

And the mileage chest puffery only happens if YOU put the miles on. :D
I figure it will have problems, but it would be nice to avoid engine/tranny/final drive problems that are too extensive...

yeah, it's definitely cheating, but it would be fun to just have the thing survive to absurd miles (although 180k is well on it's way to absurd)...

just go in with eyes wide open

check all fluids...wear items are tires, brake pads

want to check all bearings...wheel & steering head...maybe a record on spline lubes

how's the shock...stock original oem...

have sasquatch suspensions completely overhaul/rebuild it ($450)

fork serviced and/or improved with aftermarket springs?

MAKE SURE THE VALVE ADJUSTMENTS HAVE BEEN DONE AND THE NEW/IMPROVED CAM CHAIN TENSIONER HAS BEEN INSTALLED

do a compression test...both dry and with oil

might send injectors off for servicing...if interested, I just did mine

check for any damage underneath the bike...headers, centerstand, pipe mounts

9 years old, 185k miles makes it a $1,000 bike if that.

It's a great machine, but not worth that kind of $$

As the guy who put 226k on his 04 FJR.........

I would be very careful of this FJR. It *could* still have a bit of life left in it, but not knowing the full maintenance history is a negative. I wouldn't call it a definite 'NO', but I agree it's only really worth about $1,000. $1,500 tops. For example, I recently sold an 04 ABS model that ran well with only 65k miles for $4,000.

Thanks for the advice everyone... I'll tell them that I would have to get it for way under what they asking...
I'd have to agree with those here that say shy away from something with this many miles on it. Not many bikes go 200K without problems. You could buy this for $2500 and drive it a hundred miles with the engine just blowing up. You never know, then you've got a '03 that you need to part out.

Just my opinion but that's a lot of miles without knowing how someone or many owners took care of it.

I'd spend double on an '05 with 60K or so and be on my way :) They're out there, you may have to fly/drive but many have done that and what a fun way to get a great bike. If you buy one from an enthusiast here on the forum you pretty much know you're getting something worth the money.

Having an 06 with 110k miles with minimal (no breakdowns) I can see someone being hesitant in buying a bike with high mileage if you don't know the owner or the maintenance history. You can buy a low mileage bike that has been trashed and end up with a lemon. Mileage is a flag to raise ones awareness. On the other hand a bike has to run pretty well to get that kind of mileage on it. Just sayin.

...If you buy one from an enthusiast here on the forum you pretty much know you're getting something worth the money.
Although I'd like to think that, I'd be careful with that statement. Just because someone has signed on to this forum or is a regular on this forum doesn't automatically mean they treat their FJR the way you would want it treated.

Watch out if Skooter askes where you saw this FJR, :unsure: He got a bad habit of buying these type of bikes, good thing it's not an 04 or it would be "Sold" already :p

Run the other way and don't look back. There are way to many machines for a bit more without nearly that kind of mileage.
I can see where most would feel that way. But if test rides indicate the bike is running well, AND (here's the key) you can get the bike for a bargain price like $1,000, it could turn out to be quite a value. Most likely I would buy it for $1,000.

John S, since I am three days younger than dirt (63) and bought my first bike at age 15, I have been buying and selling motos for a long, long time. I would offer this dealer $1K and when he says NO, just walk away. If it is still there in a week, which it will be, offer him $1.5K and my bet is that he will take it. If he won't take $1.5K, then just walk away from it altogether!

John S, since I am three days younger than dirt (63) and bought my first bike at age 15, I have been buying and selling motos for a long, long time. I would offer this dealer $1K and when he says NO, just walk away. If it is still there in a week, which it will be, offer him $1.5K and my bet is that he will take it. If he won't take $1.5K, then just walk away from it altogether!
I offered $1500 out the door, but I don't think the salesguy is even taking it to mgmt. I'm going to keep looking.. I might call them next week and tell them I'm still interested if I haven't found something else....