buying high mileage FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John S, since I am three days younger than dirt (63) and bought my first bike at age 15, I have been buying and selling motos for a long, long time. I would offer this dealer $1K and when he says NO, just walk away. If it is still there in a week, which it will be, offer him $1.5K and my bet is that he will take it. If he won't take $1.5K, then just walk away from it altogether!
I offered $1500 out the door, but I don't think the salesguy is even taking it to mgmt. I'm going to keep looking.. I might call them next week and tell them I'm still interested if I haven't found something else....
They would be fools not to take it. Unless they are total morons and paid a lot more for it on trade.

Do they have any idea how hard it will be to sell a 185k mile FJR? I mean, what idiot would buy it? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Run the other way and don't look back. There are way to many machines for a bit more without nearly that kind of mileage.
I can see where most would feel that way. But if test rides indicate the bike is running well, AND (here's the key) you can get the bike for a bargain price like $1,000, it could turn out to be quite a value. Most likely I would buy it for $1,000.

John S, since I am three days younger than dirt (63) and bought my first bike at age 15, I have been buying and selling motos for a long, long time. I would offer this dealer $1K and when he says NO, just walk away. If it is still there in a week, which it will be, offer him $1.5K and my bet is that he will take it. If he won't take $1.5K, then just walk away from it altogether!
I offered $1500 out the door, but I don't think the salesguy is even taking it to mgmt. I'm going to keep looking.. I might call them next week and tell them I'm still interested if I haven't found something else....
They would be fools not to take it. Unless they are total morons and paid a lot more for it on trade.

Do they have any idea how hard it will be to sell a 185k mile FJR? I mean, what idiot would buy it? :lol:
And here we have the answer.

John S, Opinions are like bellybuttons and buttholes, they are either linty or shitty! But if you do not mind an Old Man's Opinion, here is my suggestion of a game plan. A week from today walk into that dealership with 15 100 dollar bills in your hand and hold them so they are easily seen by everyone! Trust me, this plan has worked for me!

DEMAND to speak to the Owner/Manager of the Dealership, just blow off that worthless Salesman. Show the O/M El Dinero and I'd bet he'll make the FJR deal with you!

John S, Opinions are like bellybuttons and buttholes, they are either linty or shitty! But if you do not mind an Old Man's Opinion, here is my suggestion of a game plan. A week from today walk into that dealership with 15 100 dollar bills in your hand and hold them so they are easily seen by everyone! Trust me, this plan has worked for me!

DEMAND to speak to the Owner/Manager of the Dealership, just blow off that worthless Salesman. Show the O/M El Dinero and I'd bet he'll make the FJR deal with you!
However walk in with 1K...if the salesman says what about the 1.5K last week...tell them time is not on their side...that was last weeks offer

Willie

However walk in with 1K...if the salesman says what about the 1.5K last week...tell them time is not on their side...that was last weeks offer

Willie
A Very Good Point Willie, go with that sound advice John S!

Not to horn in on your buy, but PM me if you don't buy this!

I would be hesitant to buy it since whomever traded it in figured it was going to cost him more than it's worth to keep. If the bike is paid for and running well why get rid of it?

At minimum it would be a good commuter unless the previous owner had a feeling it was on its last leg. Just something to consider and ponder..

I would be hesitant to buy it since whomever traded it in figured it was going to cost him more than it's worth to keep. If the bike is paid for and running well why get rid of it?

At minimum it would be a good commuter unless the previous owner had a feeling it was on its last leg. Just something to consider and ponder..
Or they figured enough was enough on that Gen I and wanted to trade it in on a newer Gen II instead :D

Or they were really retarded and wanted to trade it in on a crappier Gen II instead :D
Fixed it for ya. ;)

Or they were really retarded and wanted to trade it in on a crappier Gen II instead :D
Fixed it for ya. ;)
Outstanding FIX there SkooterG, I'm a little surprised you beat RadioHowie to fixing it!

Just another point to toss in the mix. It could be a good commuter--a great commuter--but that's not really what an FJR is. It's a touring bike, made to gobble up miles in trouble-free comfort. It's an all-day, multi-day, long-legged travel machine. Kind of big and heavy just to be a commuter, but a good intro to the FJR world for local riding at a good low purchase price, IMO. Once you know you love it and you've gotten everything out of this '03 that it has to give, you can get your next FJR--for the long trips.

I'd much rather have this FJR than no FJR, but I wouldn't want to get on it and head out for a two-week, six-state tour on it, either.

I'd much rather have this FJR than no FJR, but I wouldn't want to get on it and head out for a two-week, six-state tour on it, either.
I would SacramentoMike, because I adjust my fecking valves when I am supposed to!!!

Fixed it for ya. ;)
Outstanding FIX there SkooterG, I'm a little surprised you beat RadioHowie to fixing it!
Not me, Don....let me introduce you to the "Kinder, Gentler" RadioHowie.

I promise to never, EVER insult, downgrade or otherwise demean ANY doomed-to-failure-without-genitalia 2006 or newer "It's Gonna Leave You Stranded" POS Second Generation Yamaha FJR1300...better known to the motorcycling world as "The Great Disappointment".

I heard from some guy in Pontiac, IL that valves on the FJR don't need to be checked until 150k miles...so, if he says so...it must be true.

Fixed it for ya. ;)
Not me, Don....let me introduce you to the "Kinder, Gentler" RadioHowie.

I promise to never, EVER insult, downgrade or otherwise demean ANY doomed-to-failure-without-genitalia 2006 or newer "It's Gonna Leave You Stranded" POS Second Generation Yamaha FJR1300...better known to the motorcycling world as "The Great Disappointment".
not_this_shit_again.jpg

just go in with eyes wide open

check all fluids...wear items are tires, brake pads

want to check all bearings...wheel & steering head...maybe a record on spline lubes

how's the shock...stock original oem...

have sasquatch suspensions completely overhaul/rebuild it ($450)

fork serviced and/or improved with aftermarket springs?

MAKE SURE THE VALVE ADJUSTMENTS HAVE BEEN DONE AND THE NEW/IMPROVED CAM CHAIN TENSIONER HAS BEEN INSTALLED

do a compression test...both dry and with oil

might send injectors off for servicing...if interested, I just did mine

check for any damage underneath the bike...headers, centerstand, pipe mounts
Who does service on fuel injectors?

For me, I’m thinking 260k miles is the point of replacing. My ‘05 had 262k and my ‘08 had 265k. Both were fixable, but I had already had replacements in the garage.
The average rider will not even consider the bike in question. Give the salesman your contact and let him sit on the bike awhile. He might reconsider your offer.