Buzziness Reduced After U-Joint Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitbox

Reaction score
I recently started a thread about the shift pivot bolt. That is all done now but it relates to this one.

The reason for removing the shift pivot bolt and associated hardware was for servicing the U-joint, drive shaft, and rear wheel splines. The whole U-joint area was caked with old grease and grit from over lubricating. I think it was previously greased using a putty knife. Anyway, I cleaned off the U-joint and surrounding area and lubed it with the Honda Moly paste using just enough to cover the splines. It looked like new.

Here's the thing: when I rode it for the first time after the service at high speeds, I noticed less vibes than I was accustomed to on this bike. It was very noticeably smoother. Do you experts think that all the goo on the U-joint could have been throwing it out of balance? I am definitely pleased with the outcome but it makes me wonder what I did to make the difference.

It's possible if there was a substantial amount of grease primarily on one side it could affect the balance. I think more likely it's placebo effect. You do the service and want it to be better so it is.

In the end what matters is that you're happy. Worry less, ride more.

JSNS

There was a large amount of goo. I had to dig out most of it with a screwdriver. Brake cleaner got the rest.

I figured the perception theory would be proposed, but I can tell you for sure it is an actual change. If anything, having been in service all my life, I look for things that worsen after servicing as in unintended side effects, so this was a nice unexpected surprise. Who knows, maybe it had more to do with putting the U-joint back on the shafts in a different orientation.

Oh and yes, vehicles do ride better after washing.
smile.png

" maybe it had more to do with putting the U-joint back on the shafts in a different orientation."

This was my first thought. Maybe you lucked out and

hit a balance "sweet spot".

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts