C14 and FJR comparison

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Others were reporting closer to 30 mpg>>
30 mpg? 30 mpg? That's terrible. I've never gotten less than 44 mpg on either of my FJRs and even that low mpg was at some, ahem, spirited riding in Nevada.
The MPG really depends on how hard you flog them. My lowest average was 19.7 mpg on the FJR during a recent track day. I normally get about 40 mpg when commuting and doing grocery runs here in Seattle. My high was 52 mpg during a run north into Canada. 19.7 to 52 is one hella range and it's all dependent on throttle position.

I don't know Fred personally, but he's come up with some useful modifications that ACTUALLY SOLVED REAL PROBLEMS. All you Fred bashers can tuck one up your tailpipe.

How about one of you whiney gashes try to engineer a solution to a problem. Then you might actually have a kick stand to prop up on. (Sorry about that one, couldn't resist) :rolleyes:

Go on, Fred. Don't listen to them.

OK, I'm done now.

Ahem.... If we can get back to the subject of this here thread.....

Just got my September Cycle World in the mail, and they talk about the C-14 under the banner, Super-Tourers 2008 Hit the Road--High Speed, High Tech: Kawasaki Concours 14.

So now I'm gonna get me a nice glass of wine and go read aaaaaaaaaalllllllll about it.

Jb

cwld-cover.jpg

... no big deal, just some insecurity and small penis issues some people have to deal with, ... :yahoo:
Good job Fred, excellent write up.
Bingo! and Gunny too.

I came to the '06 FJR after having a 27 year old CBX. Very neat and exotic bike, but compared to the FJR it felt like it was made of wood. And it only got 27 mpg! Had to refuel every 125 miles. Also had an original '86 Concours and it was by far, much hotter than my FJR.

Fred, thanks for your contributions. Just remember: Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink!

Well All you C14 Converts.....

What do ya make of this(From THE other FORUM):

Posted - 08/01/2007 : 20:04:55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am afraid I have a bit of bad news. While the air filter will be relatively easy to replace, the valves are going to be a BIG problem.

Remember the guy who posted that you have to remove the engine on the ZX-14 to check/adjust the valves? Well, from what I can see, the engine is gonna have to come out of the bike just to even get the valve cover off, let alone remove the cam to change a shim. And with a 15K mile interval on valve checks, this could make engine removal a yearly chore on this bike for some. Granted, many will probably find that the interval can be doubled (or more) but still, to have to take the engine out just to check the valves is going to be a MAJOR pain, especially first time. The way the frame is wrapped over the top of the head, I just don't see how else it could be done.

I could be wrong, there may be a way, but on first inspection, I sure don't see how. There is some space on the right side, and if everything that could be removed was taken off, you *MIGHT* be able to squeeze in between the frame and head to get the cover off, but I wouldn't bet money on it. There is very little room between the bottom of the frame and the top of the valve cover.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fred H.

Fort Worth, TX.

WTF is Kawi thinkin??????????????? They go on to talk about how changing the spark plugs looks to be just as HARD!

Sounds like a wonderful plan for the STEALERSHIPS to make $$$!!!

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred H. C14 Report Spoiler Warning:

The link in the previous post leads to a picture report of the new C14 by Fred. Fred, in character, decided to remove body panels and see if the C14 actually had an engine ('cause it wasn't visible from any angle). After a dozen or so pictures with all kinds of body panels removed the engine was seen in only one picture and at that, it was just an upper 1/4 RH side glimpse. Fred probably accurately surmised that to check the valves the engine must come out - every 15k miles :eek: Fred also notes that the engine will most probably need to come out to change spark plugs :blink:

Man, pulling the engine at least once a year? :glare: If Fred's speculation turns out to be true I'm pretty sure I can stop saving for a C14 right now. Hope Yamaha gets the '08 FJR FI correct this time because it looks a '08 is in my future.

If Kawi engineers designed that bike to where an engine has to be PULLED to do a valve check/adjustment they should be fired and sent back to work at Pontiac/GM! If true, that is insane with a 15k mile interval.

Heck, with that kinda arrangement Kawi should base their business model on the razor and the razor blade or printer and the inkjet carts with as much as you would spend on service. :)

I believe MaKaw didn't design and build the C14 on a form and function premise only. The additional (potential) maintenance requirements/expense may be just an added "benefit"...

Seems like a nice bike (except that afterthought black box on the tank).

Thank you MaKaw...
leghump1.gif

... they should be fired and sent back to work at Pontiac/GM!
Uh-oh...

I always wondered about that on the ZX-14, etc. The Kawi monococque chassis seems like a great idea except for this minor issue. I am certain you don't have drop the engine to access the head - makes no sense. It is a stressed member, so I just don't see them making that part of normal maintenance. But, I've been wrong at least once before.

-BD

Slightly off subject....but still in the spirit of this discussion...

I once had a '77 Ferrari 308 GTB. A major service was coming up at 24,000 miles. To get to the plugs and all else they had to do required an engine drop. The dealer quoted me a charge 0f $2350.00, with more charges that could be due if they found additional things that needed attention. Shortly thereafter, I sold that sucker. It was a quirky car anyway.

Agreed BD,

When I first saw a ZX 14 at a show several years ago it appeared obvious the the monocoque chassis was going to make access to the upper part of the engine difficult, if not impossible. Historically, engine access has been going in this (negative) direction for decades. Used-to-be, much maintenance and repair could be performed with engine in-situ. A few decades ago many service manuals began starting their engine component repair sections with the words: "Remove the engine." Valve clearance checks on many modern (Japanese) sport-bikes requires all-but removing the engine (remove everything else and loosen and tilt the engine) -- not to mention what would be required to actually change any clearances (remove camshafts). Many automotive service incidents now require pulling the engine -- actually, it's (more-often-than-not) dropped out the bottom with the car raised off the engine. In many cases, IMO, a much better job could be done with the engine on-the-bench -- but, who's gonna pay for it?

Consequently, much scheduled/required/desired maintenance just doesn't get done anymore.

I think what we're witnessing here is "A new world order" in maintenance -- little-to-no preventative maintenance done along with longer term warranties purchased (maybe, too, service contracts?).

Along with black mamba's:

I sold that sucker
.... :rolleyes:

"I think what we're witnessing here is "A new world order" in maintenance -- little to no preventative maintenance done"

I've owned a 2000 sienna minivan since it was new, it's got 101K on it, Toyota recommends a valve check at 60K? or so, it didn't happen, and it's not going too as long as I own it! Valve adjusts on new Jap cars are bullshit!

I'm sure there's quite a few bikes that have been scrapped for a lot of other issues and component failures other than valves or valve seats that burnt from never getting adjusted.

With the labor cost, and the short mileage interval, it might be cheaper to just roll the dice and ride the shit out of it.

All this discussion makes me like my '05 even more. I really hope that Yamaha does not go in the direction of touring rather than sport. At this point, the one thing I would change about my FJR would be to give it more clearance in the lean.

The thing that intrigues me is that Fred likes the turn in capability of the C14 so much, where in my comparos when I bought my '05 the FJR pretty much blew away like competition with its turn in ease. I know the Gen II went to a longer swing arm and I think this may have negatively impacted turn in ease while adding stability (as if the Gen I needed more stability?). I believe HIGHLANDER commented on this in regards to his Gen II when he switched from his '04.

Smoothness of engine and drive shaft competitions may push Yamaha to a more refined tourer rather than a capable super sport tourer. I hope they don't go that direction. If I wanted a K1200LT I would have bought one.

All this discussion makes me like my '05 even more. I really hope that Yamaha does not go in the direction of touring rather than sport. At this point, the one thing I would change about my FJR would be to give it more clearance in the lean.
The thing that intrigues me is that Fred likes the turn in capability of the C14 so much, where in my comparos when I bought my '05 the FJR pretty much blew away like competition with its turn in ease. I know the Gen II went to a longer swing arm and I think this may have negatively impacted turn in ease while adding stability (as if the Gen I needed more stability?). I believe HIGHLANDER commented on this in regards to his Gen II when he switched from his '04.

Smoothness of engine and drive shaft competitions may push Yamaha to a more refined tourer rather than a capable super sport tourer. I hope they don't go that direction. If I wanted a K1200LT I would have bought one.
Gunny! Gunny! Gunny!

"Improvements" have a way of adding weight, ala the Gen II revisions. Something to be avoided at all costs if Mama Yamaha is listening.

Hi, let me introduce myself. My name is Fred H. (not nimrod by the way).
Just so happens I own both bikes, and am still riding them both, so I thought I would make some notes on the differences and share them. I apologize if that upsets you.

And yes, I did make a mistake on the valve change interval. The numbers for miles are in parenthesis and kilometers are listed outside. I simply read the wrong one. Take away my birthday, I made a mistake.

As for the comment about tires, I am now on my third set of tires, and have brand new ones on the bike, with less than 500 miles on them. I am not so silly as to try to compare a bike with worn out tires against a new bike with fresh tire and I know how the FJR handles both with new, and with worn tires.

I didn't post these notes on this site, because it seems that anything I post on here become a target for folks to throw darts at, no matter what the topic. And this topic was sure to stir it up, so I didn't even bother.

I am truly sorry if anything I wrote bothers any of you or if you feel it is biased or unfair. I did not intend it to be, and tried to include good and bad points of both bikes. Maybe someone else will come along and do a better comparison than me or maybe Rider or one of the cycle mags will do a comparison and you can see what they have to say.

I do not hate my FJR as some of you seem to think, quite to the contrary actually. If I hated it, I would have gotten rid of it long ago. I just noticed some problems with it that I didn't like and explored for ways to fix them.

I am sorry that so many of you have taken a combative approach toward me but I have more important things that matter to me in life and I won't allow insults from folks I have never even met bother me in the least. Though I am a bit surprised when I look at the rules on this forum about "personal attacks". I guess that is all just window dressing and appears not to be enforced at all.

Each and every one of you are welcome to come visit me, ride with me, get to know me, ask me for help on anything motorcycle related, and I will do whatever I can to accommodate you. And many of you have. I have had at least 5 FJR's in my garage from folks who live in this area helping them work on things in the past year.

I really would like to post on this site more often, but to tell you the truth, I do not feel welcome here, and it seems like anything I post just angers you folks, so I guess I am better off just keeping quiet.

Pardon me now, while I go ride. Maybe some of you should do the same.
Hmm, :unsure: leave forum for a while come back and then with in days weeks etc....

And to run and and buy the connie and then get to come back and sign it praise is priceless don't you think!!!!!! :) :lol: :D ;)