California Bike To Bike Communication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Are you in Cali? Ride in group rides, or interested in doing so? What bike to bike comm do you use? I am interested in tallying up the numbers to see what is most used.

I am going to purchase a bike to bike radio and it makes sense to me to use CB so that it can also be used a contingency communication system. I don't know a whole bunch about the 2 way Kenwoods, etc. Feedback is appreciated.

Andrew

I use an ICOM radio. It has one of the highest wattage outputs available. Technically you are supposed to get a license to use it...who does that....

I must warn you they are hard to find...although I think A&S BMW in Roseville can turn you on to one. Hope this helps....btw I'm a Napa rider.

I use an ICOM radio.  It has one of the highest wattage outputs available.  Technically you are supposed to get a license to use it...who does that....I must warn you they are hard to find...although I think A&S BMW in Roseville can turn you on to one.  Hope this helps....btw I'm a Napa rider.
what frequency range does the ICOM give you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kerrrrsk. Ah break, break one-nine good buddy. Kerrrrsk I just picked me up one addem Midland mini hand-held CB's, ya copy? Kerrrrsk. Clicky Clicky, over. Kerrrrrsk. Ah, shop round, good buddy, I gots it for 85 bucks, copy that? Kerrrrrsk. Keep the rubber side and the hammer down! Um gone! Kererrsk.

Kerrrrsk. Ah break, break one-nine good buddy. Kerrrrsk I just picked me up one addem Midland mini hand-held CB's, ya copy? Kerrrrsk. Clicky Clicky, over. Kerrrrrsk. Ah, shop round, good buddy, I gots it for 85 bucks, copy that? Kerrrrrsk. Keep the rubber side and the hammer down! Um gone! Kererrsk.
do you use a bike intercom unit with the CB? What kind and how do you connect the CB?

Kerrrrsk. Ah break, break one-nine good buddy.  Kerrrrsk  I just picked me up one addem Midland mini hand-held CB's, ya copy?  Kerrrrsk.  Clicky Clicky, over.  Kerrrrrsk.  Ah, shop round, good buddy, I gots it for 85 bucks, copy that?  Kerrrrrsk.  Keep the rubber side and the hammer down!  Um gone!  Kererrsk.
do you use a bike intercom unit with the CB? What kind and how do you connect the CB?
Currently, I have bupkiss save for my MP3, CB and the whistling wind. I'm waiting on my Sofline set-up to arrive. When installed, I will have my MP3 player, CB, Garmin 276C, as yet sourced radar detector, rider to pillion intercom and I will have the ability to hook-up my Motorola cell pone. But, the cell hook-up ain't gonna happen cuz I feel it would be suicide to ride while on the cell phone.

Since Softline didn't previously have the connector harness for the 276C it had to get fabbed and shipped from Germany. I was notified that the unit should be here within the next 10 days or so. Look for my right-up.

I bought a Kenwood last year to talk to my buddies chatterbox, but he ditched that piece of shite, so far I have not hooked it up to the Starcom, but maybe I should. I need to find the instruction manual now! :huh:

I bought a Kenwood last year to talk to my buddies chatterbox, but he ditched that piece of shite, so far I have not hooked it up to the Starcom, but maybe I should. I need to find the instruction manual now! :huh:
I am waiting for my Starcom to come in. If you hook it all up take pics and provide instructions :D

...or else I will and then there will be endless confusion in the world! :2handed:

I'm waiting on my Sofline set-up to arrive
Hey Twowheel-Does that unit accept the audio out of a radar detector? I'm lookin' to replace the POS AudioBoss unit (once we have his & hers handguns. Priorities, you know...). Back on topic, I have a set of Motorola Whatever the MS that can be jacked into the previously mentioned POS. Haven't used 'em yet. Nobody on group rides seems to want to chat with me. They sure spark up when Brenda starts talking though. What could be going on, Mr. Obvious?

I'm waiting on my Sofline set-up to arrive
Hey Twowheel-Does that unit accept the audio out of a radar detector? I'm lookin' to replace the POS AudioBoss unit (once we have his & hers handguns. Priorities, you know...). Back on topic, I have a set of Motorola Whatever the MS that can be jacked into the previously mentioned POS. Haven't used 'em yet. Nobody on group rides seems to want to chat with me. They sure spark up when Brenda starts talking though. What could be going on, Mr. Obvious?
Yes, call Speed at Softline; cell: 972-839-3862 (yes you read that right, his CELL!) Looks like if they can get the right goezintas that they can hook-up just about any audio devise. If he doesn't know, he'll call Germany and get an answer w/i a day.

As far as your last comment... Er, you've not looked in the mirror lately, have you? ;) :haha:

As far as your last comment... Er, you've not looked in the mirror lately, have you?
Only when I have to shave, twice a week for work. It's too scary. Usually I'm too busy looking at Bren. :p :angel:

I have been considering the J&M unit. What kind of range, etc., do the radios have. 1 mile? 3 miles? Enough so that in a line of 10 bikes the lead and sweeper could communicate?

I have been considering the J&M unit. What kind of range, etc., do the radios have. 1 mile? 3 miles? Enough so that in a line of 10 bikes the lead and sweeper could communicate?
I was a communications guy in the USAF for 8.5 years so range is one thing I know about. The range of a CB is line of sight. This means that the frequencies used don't go through stuff well, and they don't bounce off of the ionosphere so there are very little over the horizon capabilties. So, depending upon where you are, the type of antenna you have, the weather, the sun state, the time of day and various other factors, you should be able to communicate between 1-22 miles.

If you are on top of a hill with a lake just below you, you might be able to go all the way to the horizon, and perhaps a bit further. I you are low in a canyon with many curves on the road (the type that we look for) then the range is vastly reduced.

CB waves have been know to bend around large hills. This is a repeatable effect, but generally requires a directional antenna.

Other things that reduce range:

Dry dirt, and especially dry sand.

Sun spot effect

thunderstorms

Note...approx 1/2 hour after a sun spot even, the ionosphere can be charged enough to refract the lower frequency ranges of the CB thus allowing several thousand mile communication with a very low power radio.

Power, as opposed to much common inference, doesn't have a whole lot to do...it's all in the antenna and the receiver's sensitivity.

Similar frequency ranges are used in military convoys...should be good enough for us.

Sometimes I miss the USAF...I was good at that stuff. I had a strong aversion to wasting taxpayer dollars and even a stronger aversion to mission failure. I miss being on a team that continually kicks ass. It just isn't the same in the civilian world. Mission failure is an option for most people....I hate that!

More than theory, I was looking for an answer from someone who has an aftermarket c.b. and what is their real world experience.

I've run them on cars and trucks (a much larger ground plane, so much easier to get the swr flat). I think a base-load or center-load antenna might help the signature and the reception as there is not much on the FJR to reflect or capture a signal. (I've been accused of running "heat" when all I had was a cheap radio with a perfectly tuned antenna) I am already facing the fact that the signal ratios will have to be addressed as there is only so much room to run the antenna wire, so lots of antenna trimming, etc.

I have heard that some are getting at low as 1 mile, so for me, a $500 radio + microphone and speakers/earphones wouldn't be worth it. Especially since I ride solo and don't need the intercom (though it'd be a nice option for resale). On longer trips, it would be nice to get road info from truckers, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
My '01 Wing's Tx range was 1/2 to 1 mile max in optimum conditions. Rx was prolly 1 to 5 miles.

My new little Midland with it's little whip antennae has been ranging about a mile for Tx and I'm picking up San Diego(!) from Carp. on Rx. I'll be going to a fixed mount antennae when my mixer arrives - hope it improves the Tx...