Can we resurrect this FJR 1300 2003 Europe spec ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick72

Reaction score
Dear Gurus,

Good evenng !

I found this FJR 1300 2003 with 23000 miles /kms in Muscat , Oman the seller wanted USD 3900.00 , the bike was inspected by friend( who also gave me the Police radio box ) but sadly the sellers son ( 16 years old ) wanted to take the bike for a spin and ended in a small crash resulting in breakage of some plastic parts on the top left of the bike including the rear view mirror and the instrument came off the hinges . The poor kid broke his coller bone ( no gear !!!)

The present status is the wind screen is broken along with the height adjusting mechanism , LHS rear view mirros out of the fairing , the part that has the LHS mirror is also broken , LHS light fairing is broken , and the instrument panel has come of the fixture and is offering for USD 1800.00 should I buy it?

it has no ABS , can a ABS be retrofitted if I can find it in fleabay ??

inputs gurus

The photos :

1 :
IMG-20130924-WA0005_zps5903165d.jpg

2:
IMG-20130924-WA0004_zpsef77b92a.jpg

3:
IMG-20130924-WA0003_zpsfc96357f.jpg

Ride safe !

Slick72

I would say you have enough cosmetic damage and possible subframe damage to walk away from this 10 year old bike.

I do not believe you can easily make a non-abs bike an abs bike. Much cheaper just to purchase an abs bike in the first place.

Could it be done? Probably.

Is it worth doing is the real question.

BTW, No ABS option on '03. First year was '04, so it would be extremely expensive to retrofit an '03 with ABS

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Gurus,

Good morning !

Just wanted to have it as a trophy bike ( I have a Gen II , this will be Gen I .... and if wifey permits a 2014 then I will have all three Gen's ), and if I have 3 or 4 FJR can start a tour company to travel around UAE and oman.......... Just wild dreams .

The price was very tempting !

Ride safe !

Slick72

Well, if you really want it, then it is up to you if it's worth it to you. The parts should be available, and you may find used ones to save some money. It will probably cost you more to fix that one then to buy one already in good shape. And, as others have said, forget about ABS for an '03 unless you really want to spend a lot of money just so you can have the only one.

Based on the estimate I just made for Dudewado on his 03 I see enough to make me walk away. I see close to 1000.00 in plastic. Probably needs the front stay and all the winshield hardware. If the windshield motor assy is bad it is close to 600.00 alone. Don't walk RUN.

You've got an electrically adjustable windshield and some framework under there... if it gets bent, things can get tricky. How good are you at doing bodywork, or at bending steel back into position? What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have some sort of auto body experience? If you're doing this yourself, you can save enough $$ to make it work. But if you're paying somebody else, I'd walk away. Sure you're not getting in over your head? Worse comes to worse, you could part it out, but how much local market is there in Dubai?

Gary

Hello Gurus ,

Good morning !

As far I know there only 2 civil FJR and about 10 owned by the special police of his highness for his own security so parting out will not happen .

And every one other than me is rich in UAE so almost no market for old spares .

The fall was very superficial so hope that the internals are safe ( now that I have committed to buy it and do the work on it my self ) so I will be bugging you all about to going about fixing it , want it has a way stay away from alcohol and other such vice . will be getting her by next weekend and will work on it . Was wondering if any of the forum members will be interested in visiting UAE in the near future then he can ride with us a motley bunch of rider with a assortment of rides ...from BMW GS to Yamaha R1, R6 CBR 6..1000 and HDs . And during such visit can use the members expertise to fix my ride . Any way I have rumbled a lot now . Time to get back to work!

Ride safe!

Slick72

Good morning !

Yes why not as long as you pay it when you land in Dubai !

jokes apart I will not be able afford it
confusedsmiley.png

Ride safe !

Slick72

Hello Gurus ,

Good afternoon !

I bit the bullet and the bike came to DXB from Muscat and I stripped the fairings and .... the damages are as follows:

The front sub frame broken from the left side and bent

the front left hand side top fairing part missing

the wind screen motor is working fine but all the arms and the W is missing .

I plan to fit the police radio box I have and may be paint it RED ....... so by next week I will have all the fairings repaired and painted ... Does anyone have a front sub frame ?

will upload the pic soon.

Ride safe !

Slick72

Hello Guru's,

Good evening!

Does any one have photo's of the front sub frame and a couple of photos of the wind screen mechanism and close up of both left and right side of the fairings from tank up to the instrument panel.

Ride safe !

Slick72

Hello Guru's,
Good evening!

Does any one have photo's of the front sub frame and a couple of photos of the wind screen mechanism and close up of both left and right side of the fairings from tank up to the instrument panel.

Ride safe !

Slick72
I have some photos around here that may help.

Hello Guru's

Good morning !

The latest is that there is a motorcycle parts company in The Netherlands that have the parts I need to have mine fixed. they as follows:

1 Front Sub frame - $ 225.00

2 Wind screen W (metal one behind the screen) $25.00

3 Left hand top fairing connection to the headlamp $ 50.00

4 Bits and pieces of screen hard are $ 50.00

5 LT and RT winkers ( blinkers ) $ 20.00

will be getting them next week .

They have started the repair of the main fairings and preparing it for painting hope fully by 1 week of Nov 2013 she will be ready .

Ride Safe !

Slick72

Hello Guru's ,

Greetings !

I am little happy just ordered parts of my fairings from the dealer from EBAY and they cost me including shipping to DXB from Hong Kong ay US$ 169.00 and a fully functional front stay with all rubber parts for Euro. 250.00 well they might be expensive ( I will be able to feed a small village with the money spent on the spare parts in my country ....but a FJR is worth it !) by first week of Nov 2013 will have the parts and by end of Nov 2013 she will on road....... am happy ;)

Ride safe !

Slick 72

Latest posts