Can you identify this old motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe2Lmaker

Reaction score
This past weekend, my Uncle Jim died. Jim introduced me to two wheeled motorized vehicles. This is a photo of me and Uncle Jim:

Mtrcycle-Joe%2520and%2520Uncle%2520Jim%25201967.jpg

This is Jim with my sister:

Mtrcycle-Michelle%2520and%2520Uncle%2520Jim%25201967001.jpg

Any idea what the bike is?

This is a photo of me with one of my uncle's buddies:

Mtrcycle-Joe%2520and%2520Steve%2520Sandberg%25201967001.jpg

Any idea what that one is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like one of the Spanish two strokes. Maybe Ossa, Montesa or Bultaco. ????????

It is an enduro, so that should narrow it down. Any idea of the vintage? The pics look like great memories!

I'm with Ray.. The flat bottom tortoise shell tank and the egg shaped sidecovers tend to indicate a Spanish heritage.

Looks like one of the Spanish two strokes. Maybe Ossa, Montesa or Bultaco. ????????

It is an enduro, so that should narrow it down. Any idea of the vintage? The pics look like great memories!
Indeed. +1 with the Spanish enduro but is the third photo the same bike as the first two? The headset angle seems similar but the look of the bike seems different.

Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. I had a cool motorcycle riding uncle too.

The first 2 pics are hard to tell. You can almost make out a Montesa badge on the tank in the first pic.

The last one looks like a Montesa Scorpion to me.

Montesa_scorpion_texas_69.jpg

Sorry to hear of your uncle's passing. I had a cool motorcycle riding uncle too.

The first 2 pics are hard to tell. You can almost make out a Montesa badge on the tank in the first pic.

I first thought OSSA, but it looks like you nailed it. Good call!

Yeah, I think you got it Russ. I don't think that is the exact model, though. The location of the kick start is the dead give away. Very unique.

My first thought was Ossa as well, but early Ossa's were left-side kick. The Montesa is looking good. Notice how the exhaust pipe bulges out in photo #2. It matches the Montesa Scorpion.

Yeah, I think you got it Russ. I don't think that is the exact model, though. The location of the kick start is the dead give away. Very unique.
I meant YEAR not model.

rushes is MY HERO! I don't know of anyone that knows more about the Spanish Motorycles that our rushes does. I have stopping at rushes M/C garage on my bucket list!

Sorry your Uncle has passed on Joe but I'm guessing by those photos he lived a fun and a long life!
+1, Gunny; Very Well Spoken, Joe2Lmaker we Stanley Boys also send you our heartfelt Condolences. My motorcycling life was started by my family members also, men and women in the Stanley Family I will always remember as full of life and having fun for their entire lives. Life as it should be lived! Rest In Peace Uncle Jim, Godspeed!

My AZ Beemers Club had a thread last year about their Family Members who brought them into motorcycling. I'd bet Joe you have the same memories of your Uncle Jim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's my all time favorite Family Member, my Uncle Drew Skinner, I grew up loving my Uncle Drew so much! Twas "The Wild One" and always was taking his Nephew Don for rides.

When Pearl Harbor hit, my Uncle Drew was at his gun station aboard the USS Maryland rafted up across the estuary from the USS Arizona in Hawaii. He was writing a letter home to his Mom, my Nana (Grandmother) when the first Japanese torpedo bomber launched its "fish".

Drew remained on the USS Maryland for the rest of the war. RIP, Godspeed, My Uncle Drew.

Uncle Drew was a Triumph man all the way. Here he is on a 1951 Triumph Thunderbird and the picture was taken in 1952. When the Korean War struck, he went back into the US Navy.

100_0664.jpg