Can You Lift an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Well I can't. Couldn't today anyway, on the sloping parking lot where I stupidly dumped it somehow. Stopped, no damage to speak of, but once it started to go over, hell, I couldn't stop it for anything, and it finished going over the rest of the way all by itself. Of course, it went to the downhill side, so it was a more than a ninety degree lift to get it upright. I was struggling with it when a guy pulled over and we got it up together. Biker, naturally, but in a car. I don't mention this to brag about my carelessness, but I'm hoping somebody has a good suggestion, other than a few months at the gym, for either how to overcome that first moment when you know it's going over but it's too late to stop it, or else a way to get it back upright without volunteer help. Best place to grab, things like that. And MAN, I've GOT to get a pair of sliders on that baby.

I've tried twice, even with the adrenaline pumping after the drop and couldn't even budge the bike. I know it's a case of physics, angles etc since I've righted a downed cruiser with relative ease.

Sorry to hear about your oopsie. Time to get those sliders on, right now.

Jill

There is a way to do it. I've picked up our Gold Wing with my wife on it and I am no super man. There was a demo on how to do it at the Cleveland , Ohio Motorcycle show this year and I saw lots of 100 pound women pick up bikes and right them. I'll see if I can find a link to show how it is done. You put your butt against the side of the seat an grab the hand grip with one hand and something strong on the rear of the bike and kind of shuffle your feet backwards using leg strength to slowly get the bike upright. It is not done with upper body strength at all.

Yeah, there's a video somewhere showing some women picking their bikes up. I think you have to "back" into it, which allows you to use your legs without blowing out your back. Bike in gear, small of back into saddle, one hand on handlebar, other on something solid if you are using the OEM rack (I wouldn't trust that thing). And if it's on its right side, deploy the side stand just in case it goes too far. Something like that, IIRC.

I'm currently doing the "Few months at the gym" thing myself, so I can put on a clinic at NAFO, if somebody wants to provide a "drop-bike" for instructional purposes. When my back gets a bit stronger, I get to start flipping 500+ pound tractor tires up and down the alley. This ain't no Bally's where I'm going....

hell yeah! i can lift one! its all in the boobs.

(that's why u can't!) :lol:

Like they were saying.Turn away from the bike and put your butt on the seat. If its down with kick stand up put it down first. be sure its in gear (engine off ofcourse) find some good hold points......then use mostly your legs to lift it up.. If the kickstand was the down side then use your heel to put it down after you get it up enough. If you grab the handle bar on the left side down be sure not to push in the clutch, if you are on a grade you don't want it to roll as you are lifting it up. Knock on wood I have not downed an FJR, but I went to a Harley School where I picked up a road king about 10 times a day on the first week...I skipped my squats at the gym for a month :) , Do not beat your self up ..it happense to All of us

Sorry to hear you have "Last Chance's curse" (dropping FJR's, I'm a pro at it.) Using above techniques I've been able to "right" the bike all by myself....Except twice. Once on a freeway on ramp which "sloped" steeply to my right. (I discovered this when I put my right foot down at the metering light. Eventually someone stopped and helped me. I could have also "spun" the bike around to take advantage of the slope...) The other time was when I crashed and with cracked ribs I didn't feel like picking it up...There was a lot of onlookers there to help me and they did.)

The FJR is a very top heavy bike and with full fuel it goes over quick once it gets past a certain point. It also likes to keep on rolling over so you can scratch it's tummy...kinda like my dog!!!

Good luck. After a dozen times or so it gets to be "No big thing!"

LC

I've dropped and had to pick up my 'Wing a few times....however I think a wing would be easier to pick up than an FJR because the FJR would lay almost flat, whereas the 'Wing never really lays all the way down due to its crash bars...

Anyway the technique is use your largest/strongest muscle group, your legs, to do the lifting. Anything else is a lesson in futility for most of us.

How to pick up a downed bike (video).

Pix and text describing the above.

Last time I fell over I was on my XT600. I was laying on the left side with my left leg under the bike. There was on way I would even get out from under it. A helpful fellow saw me and came a running.

The XT is only 140KG, it's a light weight compared to the FJR, but after seeing that video I recon I could easity lift it..(Assuming I'm not under it)

First time:

Two weeks into ownership... I went for a little ride, right before dawn, up to South Mountain in Phoenix to see the rising sun... as I came out of a turn I saw it, the sun was just coming up over the horizon, bright red/purple sky agains the mountain, I had to stop and take a picture.... I parked Pandora on he side of the road, put the side stand down and unmounted... got ready for the picture when I heard the [SIZE=14pt]WHAM-THUMP!!![/SIZE]... the side stand had sink into the gravel and Pandora was resting on its left side... I think I picked the bike up faster than it went down, and to this day I have no idea how I did it.

Second time:

The second time my bike has been down was when I wiped out on Salt River Canyon, AZ; but that time the bike was lifted by Beemerdons and others while I was getting back into my skin. I think he used the back-against-the-seat technique.

Back against the seat! Bike in gear, one hand on the down-side handlebar, the other hand under the grabrail (or anything you can grip), back up lifting with your legs.

OR....get help, always the best solution.

hell yeah! i can lift one! its all in the boobs.
(that's why u can't!)
Man those things are POWERFUL! :clapping: Or is it the whole "Biker Goddess" thing? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: