Can You Lift an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped on the left side on downhill slope (gravel, on the apron of the highway) and cursed my low-speed maneuvering on ball-bearings skills. There was no way she was coming up, no traction, levering uphill. Every attempt caused more abrasion. Thankfully, help came. No, I'm not severely sunburned, it's the blush of embarrassment at losing the machine trying to park in such a stoopid location.

The walk backward with your butt against the seat thing is only going to work if the hard cases are on and somewhat proping the bike upward. Without side cases, you are going to need help because the seat is just too low.

When i dropped mine in my garage, i tried multiple times and failed but on the third or fourth attempt probibly aided with adreneline of rage from it falling in the first place, i used mostly my legs for the first part and kept my body very close and raised it holding the handlebars. Im 155 lbs so im no hulk and it can be done with the proper leverage and determination, mine was on the perfectly level ground of a garage however

Well I can't. Couldn't today anyway, on the sloping parking lot where I stupidly dumped it somehow. Stopped, no damage to speak of, but once it started to go over, hell, I couldn't stop it for anything, and it finished going over the rest of the way all by itself. Of course, it went to the downhill side, so it was a more than a ninety degree lift to get it upright. I was struggling with it when a guy pulled over and we got it up together. Biker, naturally, but in a car. I don't mention this to brag about my carelessness, but I'm hoping somebody has a good suggestion, other than a few months at the gym, for either how to overcome that first moment when you know it's going over but it's too late to stop it, or else a way to get it back upright without volunteer help. Best place to grab, things like that. And MAN, I've GOT to get a pair of sliders on that baby.
Install crash bars on the bike, that way it won't lay flat on its side and it would be easier to pickup. Otherwise back to the gym.

Install crash bars on the bike, that way it won't lay flat on its side and it would be easier to pickup. Otherwise back to the gym.
15 year zombie resurrection!!

Edit: No idea why a reply to an old thread sometimes ends out in the wrong chronological order. The recent thread I am replying to shows BEFORE a 2008 thread...

Yes, the FJR is a heavy beast and a lot of the weight is up high. Try it sometime in a campsite parking area covered with loose gravel after the sidestand sunk in the dirt and the bike went over - top of bike on the downslope. It can be done, but not without effort.

By the way, welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:
Dropped on the left side on downhill slope (gravel, on the apron of the highway) and cursed my low-speed maneuvering on ball-bearings skills. There was no way she was coming up, no traction, levering uphill. Every attempt caused more abrasion. Thankfully, help came. No, I'm not severely sunburned, it's the blush of embarrassment at losing the machine trying to park in such a stoopid location.
Same happened to me in a sloped parking lot on the Icefield Parkway, Jasper. Three eager teenagers rushed right over, thank goodness. Bent the left mirror way up. So I bent it most of the way back down. When these bikes fall it is a serious situation.

Did it yesterday. I was out testing my single wheel trailer with my wife riding passenger. I decided to try to back into a downhill parking spot and realized that when you jackknife a single wheel that it pushes the bike towards the ground. Held it up and had my wife climb off. Was not able to throttle it out of the jackknife since pulling forward was pushing the right side down. So I gently set the bike down on the crashbar and rear bag. Picked up the trailer and straightened it out and then picked the bike and trailer back up by the luggage guard and handlebar. Luckily no damage other than a paint scuff on the crashbar and a little scuff on the corner of the bag.
IMG_20230530_164103_HDR.jpg

Funny. I got an alert that somebody had quoted me and found this. When I read what I'd posted, I was thinking WTF before I realized how old the thread was. Which I realized when I thought about how many times I've dropped how many FJRs in the last 15 years! But I don't post about it anymore.

I've tried twice, even with the adrenaline pumping after the drop and couldn't even budge the bike. I know it's a case of physics, angles etc since I've righted a downed cruiser with relative ease.

Sorry to hear about your oopsie. Time to get those sliders on, right now.

Jill
Ive doped mine twice (in the shop). Ive watched small women do the lift & you tube.. I can not do it.