Can You Lift an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, noone wants a go at my patented "park next to a tree" technology.

hell yeah! i can lift one! its all in the boobs.
(that's why u can't!) :lol:

so THAT'S what those things are for!!! :lol:
That, and various other recreational activities.

But, back on topic, I have picked up the FJR. Wasn't fun, but did it. My best was picking up my old '85 Goldwing after dropping it in the parking lot at work. Of course, I was aided with a healthy dose of adrenalin that only extreme embarassment can conjure. I also had hernia surgery shortly thereafter. I'm the only guy I know with a frikkin' C-section scar.

:huh:

If boobs would have helped then I would gladly have felt some to get things going. :)
I rather suspect that most forum members would be willing to feel some boobs whether they would help move the bike or not. :rolleyes: (Man-boobs excluded).

Jill
Ya know Jill, somehow I don't think you needed this outfit to reach that conclusion. :lol:
carnac.jpg

I've tried twice, even with the adrenaline pumping after the drop and couldn't even budge the bike. I know it's a case of physics, angles etc since I've righted a downed cruiser with relative ease.
Sorry to hear about your oopsie. Time to get those sliders on, right now.

Jill
Um, Jill... You're a girl. :glare: Sorry.

I've had to lift the FJR - twice, once on each side because I like to vary my routine.

It's all in the technique described above because I am only 150 lbs of bad biker dude..

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, Jill... You're a girl. :glare: Sorry.
Right on JB! You noticed. Must have been due to a couple of things that were discussed earlier in this thread. :)

The point that I'm trying to make is that a cruiser of similar weight is a darned sight easier to get vertical than an FJR. Perhaps it's the fact that FJR's are used to being leaned over and don't like being truly upright? whereas that position is more natural for a cruiser? Who knows.

Jill

I picked my bike up once. It was actually easier than I thought that it would be. Definitely is technique... & my boobs really aren't all that big.

I used the back up to the seat & use your legs to push it up scenario. Also turn the front handlebars into the direction that you're pushing from. One hand on grab rail & other hand on handlebar & just stand it up.

Heidi

On the morning of Day 6 of the Iron Butt I discovered that I couldn't lift an FJR...at least not one with all my LD equipment on it. It was oh-dark-thirty and I had just ridden to Independance Pass from Buena Vista to score the first bonus of the day. I pulled into the parking area and (drum roll please) forgot to put my kick stand down. Damn. Fragged after 6 days of riding I just couldn't get the thing upright. I wound up having to wait several minutes and wave down a passing car. After the good samaritan and I got Moose back on two wheels the guys says to me "You sure have a lot of stuff on the bike." No kidding :)

Paul Peloquin

Momouth OR

Cee...I tole yew fellers yuh gots tuh be ridin wit duh female owners!
Ya know, it's funny what boobs'll do.

I pull up to the dealer, walk past the service desk and poke my head in the overbooked shop and say...

"I'm not sure, but my chain might be a bit loose, what do you think?" Next thing I know the bike is in and adjusted, no charge, have a great day.

I am not quite sure why those guys are so good to me...*shrug*.... :lol:

I don't know what the big deal is here. Last time I did the Nor Cal group ride on hwy. 36 we had overnighted in Red Bluff and as I was getting ready to leave the parking lot of our motel to head over for breakfast, I forgot to take off the cable lock I had installed on the rear tire the night before instead of the normal front tire placement and slowly I went down. OrangeVale was on his way to help me pick up the bike and I just grabbed the bars and picked it right up. And it was packed up! Adrenalin? I don't know, but I don't have that much upper body strength due to the arthritic situation, but hey, it came right up. I don't know? So whats with you guys not being able to do the lift? I never backed up to the bike either.....just don't know my own strength I guess.... :lol: PM. <>< :D

You have to have good footing as someone else said. I recently watched all the video's and pics on the www because "someone" (who shall remain nameless) dropped my bike in some heavy gravel.

I was "aware" of the butt technique and the turn the wheel technique but that was about it. But without footing, I was wasting my time.

So then I watched all the videos. The things that I saw were ... Don't have your legs bent very much. If you are completely squatting, there is no way. Keep the legs straighter and "walk" it back.

As best I can tell with the butt thing, it really looked like the but was placed on the side of the seat and was used to "push" the bike and thus decrease the load of your arms (arms are straight of course).

Also I noted that the force that you are trying to apply is a tangential force. I am not sure how to describe this clearly. You are trying to rotate the bike up (not lift exactly) using the tires as a pivot point. Make any sense?

When I get my Skyway delrin sliders installed (tonight?) I will drop it on the other side to even out the scratches and then try lifting again with better footing. Is Skyway making those "boobs" that were referenced in this thread? Are they expensive? I've seen them on some people and I like the look (I thought the Skyway Alum sliders looked great). It would be nice to have a pair of them in the saddlebags for the next time "someone" (who shall remain nameless) drops my bike.

Art

On the second day I owned it I dropped it on the right side in the parking lot at work. I quickly jump off and grab it and picked it right up. However in my hast I for got to put the SIDESTAND down and then droppped it on the left side. Pick it up again and got it on the stand. All this under the security cameras at work. And no one came out to help. I must have really been pumping the adreniline . It was before 5 AM and I could not even go back out in the daylight to look at the scratches I waited until time to leave for home. Turned out to be very minor.

I almost dropped my bike on our first day together. Luckily I had some open space and was able to throttle out.

When I finally did drop it, I didn't have any space and was falling to the left with a slope to the left. Nothing I could do to stop it. Got pinned and my friend (who is a strong mo-fo) scooped her right up off of me. Against the slope. I wouldn't have been able to do that against the slope. Sliders paid for themselves that day.

Another thing you might want to do if this happens to you, is to make sure the bike is in gear before you try to lift it back up. I can just imagine chasing a bike with your back to it on a slight incline, just when your are congratulating yourself for getting the bike back up!!

mine's been down three times, twice all the way. But to add a little sunshine to the grey cloud, I learned something.

The side bags make an excellent pivot. Tilt up till the wheels touch, then lift from the side with the grab handle and the tank till it's up. Use your legs, not your back. Tho even then I ended up with a strain at the forearm or elbow on the non-grab bar arm.

Still, got it up solo, and I'm not exactly a "fit" guy.

I'm pretty sure the width of the side bags made the difference between staying down and getting back up.

Well I can't. Couldn't today anyway, on the sloping parking lot where I stupidly dumped it somehow. Stopped, no damage to speak of, but once it started to go over, hell, I couldn't stop it for anything, and it finished going over the rest of the way all by itself. Of course, it went to the downhill side, so it was a more than a ninety degree lift to get it upright. I was struggling with it when a guy pulled over and we got it up together. Biker, naturally, but in a car. I don't mention this to brag about my carelessness, but I'm hoping somebody has a good suggestion, other than a few months at the gym, for either how to overcome that first moment when you know it's going over but it's too late to stop it, or else a way to get it back upright without volunteer help. Best place to grab, things like that. And MAN, I've GOT to get a pair of sliders on that baby.

here it is on you tube

I've picked mine up twice, by my self. Once when I did a slow lean over in a parking garage and once when a car hit me at a stop sign. I believe it was adrenaline both times, because I am over 60 years old.

:dribble:

Bob