Canada route planning help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its just rain

Reaction score
Leaving from Western Washington early this summer I'm taking off to Minneapolis doing as much of the route that I can via Canada. My first destination is Calgary for a few days then east. My plan is to go through Banff National Park on the way to Calgary to take advantage of my "free" Canada Parks pass. Everyone keeps telling me it is a must see and if it's as beautiful as the rest of B.C. then I don't want to miss it.

Here is where you friendly Canadians can help me. This is my first time through Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba so I have no idea where to head after I leave Calgary. All I do know is that I want to avoid your Highway 1 if at all possible. Or, I suppose I could just head south out of Calgary and ride across Montana and North Dakota. However, I've really come to appreciate you folks up there and the thought of staying north of the border as long as I can really appeals to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Garry

Where are you crossing the border into Canada? You're already past much of the great British Columbia and Alberta riding by the time you hit Calgary on the way to Winnipeg. LOTS of great stuff in central BC that you shouldn't miss. You will also NEED to swing north (and west) to ride through Jasper.

Work in the Revelstoke/Nakusp area; great riding. Radium Hot Springs/ Kootenay Park; also a great time. Detour on to HWY 742 south from Canmore thru the Kananaskis Range and then take HWY 40 back north to Hwy 1 to Calgary. And please don't tell anyone about how great riding in Canada can be......shhhh!

I'll leave the others to route planning--west of Calgary it's all pretty damned awesome. As for Calgary itself, if you can get a reasonable rate and are staying in a hotel I highly recommend:

https://www.internationalhotel.ca/

Great breakfast, big nice rooms, center of downtown, cool bar in there, and I really love the parking setup for being on a bike: a private parking garage with bike spots right by the door into the hotel. And, unlike in America, the rooms all have a step out patio and you can look straight down at cars 20 floors directly beneath, over a little wall that's about waist high. Their rates vary wildly but on weekends I've scored rooms for around $100 US. The Westin down the street is awesome too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know what your time frame is, but

Go south out of Calgary, 2 or 22 (Cowboy Trail) and visit Waterton Lakes area. Book accom's well in advance, or stay in Pincher Creek.

Take 5 to Lethbridge. Catch 3 to Medicine Hat. After that, you may as well stay on Highway 1. If you like flat, you will love the prairies!

Moose Jaw to Regina has one curve, 72 km.

I would consider going thru N Dakota instead of Man. If you go thru Weyburn, Sask, and are into curling, they have the ?only? curling museum in N America. Call ahead for a tour!

Have fun, and be ready for bugs if you choose to visit the 'Peg. (Winnipeg; be sure to visit the "golden boy")

-Steve

Moose Jaw to Regina has one curve, 72 km.
There's two curves - you turn right, cross the railway line, turn left and then head directly east again.

There are actually some nice areas in SK to ride - not nice like BC, of course but still decent views and friendly people. I like heading to Cypress Hills Park then east on the Hwy 18 to Estevan.

Something like this: https://goo.gl/maps/MUMMXNWh9c22

Last edited by a moderator:
The SK roads may be straight but the winds will help you get some wear on the shoulders of your tires.

You did not mention your return route, is it possible to return to Calgary and then hit all the scenery west of there on the way home.Lots of pretty stuff mentioned already and I am sure there will be more. Just a thought.

Some of my favorite BC roads are HW 6 from Vernon to Fauquier and 31A from New Denver to Kaslo. If you have time when in Alberta, do the Ice Fields Parkway.

If you cross at Sumas WA, you cannot go wrong following Hwy #1 to Hope, BC, then taking Hwy #3 through Manning Park, Princeton, Osoyoos, Grand Forks, Castegar, Salmo, Creston, all the way to the east side of BC (Cranbrook). From Cranbrook, you can go east to Lethbridge, Alberta on Hwy #3 or turn north on Hwy 95 to Hwy #1, then head east on Hwy #1 to Calgary (I'd probably do the later route but not in th evening as there can be dozens of elk on the road at dusk.

We rode Hwy #3 from Lethbrdige to Abbotsford last summer. In my opinion, it was as good a ride as we had in Montana, Wyoming and the BlackHills of SD.

The suggestion above by Heen is also an exellent ride. This will take you more off the direct route. The road is more techincal and an awesome ride, just depends how much time you want to spend off the path.

If you want to discuss details, I'd be happy to call you. PM me if interested.

My plan is to go through Banff National Park on the way to Calgary to take advantage of my "free" Canada Parks pass. Everyone keeps telling me it is a must see and if it's as beautiful as the rest of B.C. then I don't want to miss it.

Garry
Ahem, Banff and Jasper National Parks are in the great province of Alberta, not BC.
smile.png

My plan is to go through Banff National Park on the way to Calgary to take advantage of my "free" Canada Parks pass. Everyone keeps telling me it is a must see and if it's as beautiful as the rest of B.C. then I don't want to miss it.

Garry
Ahem, Banff and Jasper National Parks are in the great province of Alberta, not BC.
smile.png
Reminds me of standing on the edge of Lake Coeur d'Alene one day, a tourist family piles out of a rental RV and the wife says "this is the most beautiful part of Washington we've seen yet!" lol...

Thanks all for the suggestions on my ride through Canada. Think I've got the route pretty much figured out (subject to change) now all I need is some decent weather so I don't get stuck in a snow bank.

And Spud, I like your comment about Lake Coeur d'Alene. I'm originally from Montana and have driven back there on I-90 probably 50 times. I never have any trouble realizing when I have crossed over the state line to Idaho, the roads immediately go to hell! Of course you have to get through the terrible traffic in Spokane first.

One of my favorite destinations for an overnight ride is downtown Coeur d'Alene to stay downtown at the Resort City Inn. Especially in the summer when there is a lot going on!