Canadian rider in Portland needs some help and local advice.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red07FJR

Reaction score
Well I have made the long trek out here on my FJR from Kingston, Ontario and I pick up my gf later today at the Portland airport. We have plans to ride to LA for a conference next week then Vegas the Grand Canyon then Denver where she flies home from while I ride the rest solo.

My questions are that we had planned on heading south along the coast but the large rainfall forecasts have me wondering. Should we book it south from the airport tonight trying to avoid some of the rain? If we do I don't want to miss the amazing scenery on the coast so what would you do? Which sections do I simply have to ride rain or shine? Any mud or land slide concerns on the coastal highway?

Also we both have rain gear and I am experienced at wet road riding but the gf is a little nervous in wet weather. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Here's some advice...stop pressing the post button.
Best wishes in your travels
Canadians eh, you can't live with them and you can't live with them! Same goes for those Eskimos, eh!

Red07FJR, if I wasn't leaving for Mulege, Mexico a week from today I'd meet you at the Grand Canyon!

Last edited by a moderator:
record rainfall predicted by this afternoon. Might want to head east and down 97 to get ahead of it. Make a decision when you hit I5 at Weed.

The "amazing scenery" on the coast will be tough to see and no fun to experience through a wall of rain.

Duchess & I just rode down the coast, (amazing she stayed dry in her bag) it was a little moist!
uhoh.gif

Get a room at the Marriott, or at the nines, and enjoy some of our incredible food here in Portland for the next few days!

PM me if you need some hints for awesome places to eat.

PS: From a former Canuckistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wet and windy weekend predicted.

I'd book it south to avoid most of the weather and hit the coast south of Portland towards Cali. Worst winds are predicted at the WA / OR border.

Good luck and ride safe!

--G

Don't come down this way in the afternoon (Coos Bay) They say 70mph winds after 2pm. We are gonna book it early to get to Arcata Calif in the morning,

Sorry for the late reply but we made it Friday night to Lincoln City after a wet ride from Portland airport.

We then headed out Saturday AM into the teeth of the storm as we had to get south to LA by Tuesday night. We had a very gusty and wet ride but we made the best of it and made it all the way to Eureka by Saturday night after taking the scenic Redwood tour route south of Crescent City.

We hit the Lost Coast Brew Pub for food and drinks and met some Victory riders from San Fran at the bar. Hit the road this morning again in the rain but much less wind than Saturday thankfully! Rode the US 1 all the way to San Fran just catching the sunset before coming down into town.

Full credit to my trusting passenger who handled the less than ideal conditions like a pro! Looking forward to seeing the sunshine in the days to come. THANKS for all the suggestions from the gang here.