Canyon Dancer II bar harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeR6

Reaction score
Hate trailering my bike but I'm traveling with the old man in a few weeks and he can't handle much of the superslab via two wheels so we put our bikes on a trailer. Last time I trailered my bike I tied it down using the original Canyon Dancer bar harness and it smushed my throttle grip, and caused my throttle to be super sticky - perhaps partly due to the fact that I have a throttlemeister.

Has anyone tried the Canyon Dancer II? New one uses cups that go over the grips - what do ya think? I usually tie down the bike with the canyon dancer up front with two straps that cinch down to hook loops embedded in the trailer, then two in the back stapped to the rear wheel or exhaust brace.

Anyone have any better ideas on how to strap the fjr to a trailer w/o messing up the grips?

https://www.canyondancer.com/default.aspx

I've used CD's on my Duc and the FeeJ, no issues. Don't pull it too tight though.

I also used some soft ties on the FeeJ to keep the buckles etc away from the tupperware.

I have the original CD and had the same problem. I took some PVC pipe (2"?) and glued a sleeve on the end (closest to the inside of the grip) to go over the grips which spreads the load out.. Works great.

I actually prefer to use soft ties around the lower triple clamp/forks and use a standard tie down strap. There is no pressure on the bars.... I'll put the CD on as a back up..

I actually prefer to use soft ties around the lower triple clamp/forks and use a standard tie down strap. There is no pressure on the bars.... I'll put the CD on as a back up..
That's what I've done. If the tie-downs on the trailer are at the correct angle you can cross the soft-ties/straps over the fender.

For the rest of us- could you post a picture of you trailer set up if you get the chance. No reason not to spread best practices.

"smushed my throttle grip, and caused my throttle to be super sticky"

Very interesting I just installed my Throttle Miester and purchased the original Canyon Dancers yesterday for a haul to Duluth this week end. I guess I will have to be carefull of "smushing the grip".

For the rest of us- could you post a picture of you trailer set up if you get the chance. No reason not to spread best practices.
Who? If you're talking to me, sir, it'll have to wait until the next time I use a trailer to haul the FJR......it may be a long wait.

Just to help you, I wrapped the "soft ties" around the lower triple clamp. That way the stress was compressing the forks and not exerting pressure on anything above the steering head. There was enough free space to wither go out from the sides and miss the outer fairing or cross them over the fender and not chafe the paint.

We used the same method to bring a Kawi sport bike home from Cloverdale to Sacramento (using Ric-in-Sac's pickup--Karen to the rescue!) when his fuel pump failed on a NorCal group ride.

This is the current trailer I have. The Goldwing got sold about a year ago however you can see how the tie downs come out from the lower triple clamps and attach to the frame (2" x 2" box) with numerous holes drilled for easy, adjustability...

a3.jpg

Actually, this is the last trailer I built. I've since made another with slightly smaller wheels (the bikes are slightly farther apart) and a rear cross member that extends out just beyond the rear fender for additional rear tie downs. The loading ramp slides in, on rollers, from the side, Same basic design though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the current trailer I have. The Goldwing got sold about a year ago however you can see how the tie downs come out from the lower triple clamps and attach to the frame (2" x 2" box) with numerous holes drilled for easy, adjustability...

a3.jpg

Actually, this is the last trailer I built. I've since made another with slightly smaller wheels (the bikes are slightly farther apart) and a rear cross member that extends out just beyond the rear fender for additional rear tie downs. The loading ramp slides in, on rollers, from the side, Same basic design though.

Wooouuuu - where (and how) on the FJR are you attaching your straps/hooks up front? I'd much rather do something like that than put all that force down on the handlebars. Very nifty trailer you have. The steel/wooden plank my old man uses seems about twice the size and can still only fit two bikes on it.

I tie down the same as Towsend but in addition I use the CD (with on old pair of grips underneath) loosely hooked to the bars as insurance.

100_4039.jpg

100_4038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

a3.jpg

Wooouuuu - where (and how) on the FJR are you attaching your straps/hooks up front? I'd much rather do something like that than put all that force down on the handlebars. Very nifty trailer you have. The steel/wooden plank my old man uses seems about twice the size and can still only fit two bikes on it.
___________________________________________________________________________________

They make 12" and 18" soft tie straps (no S hooks, both are ends are sewn closed). They are looped around the lower triple clamp/fork tube and exit the fairing. The S hook on the actual tie down then attaches to the soft ties AWAY from the fairing. I put numerous holes thru the main trailer frame for adjustability and put the regular tie downs out as far as possible without hitting the fairing.. It keeps the bikes from tilting much on hard turns... There is tension on the front suspension, just nothing on the handlebars/grips. I do put a second set on tie downs on the rear of the bike forward to the trailer should I lose a front strap...

I brought home my ZZR1200 with the canyon dancer. Never again.

The CycleCinch.com is much better in my opinion.

Latest posts