Cape Fear 1000 Completed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
The 2008 Cape Fear Rally is in the history books. It was a great rally put on by some great folks. The FJR was well represented and I was able to see some of the neatest farkles for long distance riding ever. Tim Borre and I finished in the top 10 with over 30,000 points and zero penalty points. We even scored the 1000 point bonus for traveling over 1000 miles during the 24 hour period. We started in Venice FL and the rally ended in Wilmington NC. If you ever get the chance to ride an east coast rally, do this one. The scenery and roads were fantastic. Tim (Borrec) was outstanding riding his first bonus rally. The harder I pushed, the more he smiled. Great guy, great rider!

Hey RoadGlide, got any pix? Any lessons learned to share?
1. Digital Camera: Get really use to it before the Rally. It is hard to tell in the small display if you got the flag/# and the bonus point, especially at night. Experiment at home (day/night) and look on the computer to know what will really comes out for scoring. If in doubt take 2 shots, this is what kept me from losing any points.

2 A really bright light (surefire etc..) to search for bonus sites and also to use with the camera to get the shot.

3. Get into a routine at every stop.

4. A way to hydrate while riding.

5. Have a flexible plan near the end.

6. Double check your rally book against your log before scoring. One guy lost over 12,000 points and he is a veteran at this.

7. Don't stop at a Waffle House near a party/club site after it closes.

8. Don't get rushed and enjoy the ride.

Wade, what did I miss.

Wade was great to ride with and I think we did better as a team than if we went solo. It was definitely more fun that way and the wives are happy that you are not alone.

:rolleyes:

This was my first Cape Fear, and I wholeheartedly agree -- well run, great rally. Great staff -- nearly all the scorers were rally vets themselves. And what a freakin' perfect weekend to ride.

As I noted in the other thread, FJR's finished in the top 10 from all 3 starting points -- and there were only 8 FJRs registered for the rally. Pretty good showing. :)

One guy lost over 12,000 points and he is a veteran at this.
Well, it wasn't me. I did however leave 7500 pts at the scoring table. I failed to enter the rest bonus into the rally book sheet. Had the receipts and on the log but not on the sheet.

Coulda, shouda, woulda.

Great rally anyway.

Well, it wasn't me. I did however leave 7500 pts at the scoring table. I failed to enter the rest bonus into the rally book sheet. Had the receipts and on the log but not on the sheet.Coulda, shouda, woulda.

Great rally anyway.
I did that in the Mason Dixon one year. It hurt at the time, then it becomes a good story.

This was the first rally I can remember that I didn't leave a bunch of points at the table. My mistake in this one was oversleeping during the rest bonus and losing about an hour. Had to bail on a few things in the plan to make up that time. I guess I needed the sleep.

Wade & Tim

I think it is great that you guys did so well together. I once rode with a better rider and we did so bad even I was embarrassed. If one person has a problem both have it. I couldn't get a gas receipt, he needed extra gas stop, I needed extra restroom stop, he couldn't get his fire engine box in his bike and the entire day went like that.

Anyway the Cape Fear 1000 was fun and I got to see Wade and Tim at Francis Marion's tomb.

Bert

...and my wife is working on a bike trip around Argentena and Brazil.

Hmmm... Scant compensation for missing the Void.
2246908533_dbbe38b55c.jpg

Wade

I thought you might like to see my idea of FL twisties (road 94 in the bottom left corner).

Bert

Last edited by a moderator: