Carbon Fiber Fairing Blades for Gen 3?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
Does anyone make carbon fiber replacement pieces for the adjustable fairing blades on the GEN 3?

I have the Sergeant seats that looks CF and the Shad Carbon top case with it's CF top panel and thought the bike would look really great with those side panels in CF. I purchased some wrap material and wrapped the stock panels and while the concept looked awesome my execution was less than perfect and after a few high speed cruises I'm experiencing some peeling. I figured it'd be best if I just bought some legit CF panels and held on to my stock ones. You'd think with all the aftermarket products this would be out there but I've not been able to find it.

Haven't seen any real CF panels but have wrapped mine with the vinyl and haven't had any problems.

Did you wrap the vinyl around all the way to the back side of the panels?

Haven't seen any real CF panels but have wrapped mine with the vinyl and haven't had any problems.
Did you wrap the vinyl around all the way to the back side of the panels?
I wrapped it around the edges but trimmed off anything before it wrapped around the back. Maybe that was the issue.

I also did a poor job of aligning the weave. On one side it looks excellent, on the other it looks diagonal.

I guess I can take them to a professional shop.

Do you have a pic of yours completed?

<snip> I guess I can take them to a professional shop.
This is what I'd do. Find a local [graphics] vinyl shop that specializes in vehicle wraps and have them do the install. Money well spent and it'll look trick to boot!

Good luck!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a solution of soapy water in a spray bottle, a couple of drops of dish soap. spray the fairing and the back of the carbon sticker apply and spray the top of the sticker then work the bubbles and water out with a credit card, when you get all the water out you can use a hair drier to help it stick.

<snip> I guess I can take them to a professional shop.
This is what I'd do. Find a local [graphics] vinyl shop that specializes in vehicle wraps and have them do the install. Money well spent and it'll look trick to boot!

Good luck!

--G
Local shops wanted $150 to do the 2 pieces. I bought a roll of the CF vinyl off eBay for $6 and did it myself. For the time & cost invested, no complaints.

It goes on dry, really no need for the water/soap solution for the vinyl application.

CopB8- I don't have any pics but Bogus has some good ones at this link:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/156341-re-farkling-is-fun/?hl=%2Bcarbon+%2Bfiber+%2Bvinyl

I've used the soapy water trick for putting many boat names and car numbers on. Works great. Not sure that's my problem on this job though.

I believe I still have another sheet of the material to try again. This time I'll go around the back and trim it so close to the edge. I'd imagine this will make it a pretty snug fit.

The link pictures were great looking. If anyone has a picture of what it looks like on the back I'd appreciate it.